Taking the plunge....first things first...

Krystaltips

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and loving it! The content has been an absolute godsend in helping me do research! I'm just a bit lost on how to get the ball rolling and would GREATLY appreciate any pointers from you all on the following.....preferably before my [small] brain explodes! :arghh:

In short, we are a family of 5 looking to move out to Sydney. My husband's qualification/trade (Quantity Surveyor) is on the SOL and his point score was in the high 80's so we are very much hoping we will be successful. We will probably go down the agency route to help us with the process (I've done some research & short listed a couple) it's definitely a cost we'd like to avoid but we also would prefer to have a professional pair of eyes look over everything to ensure we don't make any mistakes that would cause delays, the paperwork sounds a lengthy, hellish task. I'm guessing plenty of you (funds permitting) would recommend this?

My husband has also done some preliminary job searches and is confident there are opportunities he could apply for that would make this a viable move for us. My confusion lies in which steps to take first and where to start..........

* Do we contact companies of interest with a view to gaining sponsorship (if they have a position vacant) or...

* Do we apply for a visa and then look for employment (probably a PR 190? I couldn't really gauge the difference between this and the 189 other than processing times and being tied to the one state for 2 years?) I've looked into it all so many times my brain is fried tbh!

* Am I right in thinking that applications for NSW are now closed until July 2014 and if so, are we able to go ahead and 'register an interest' prior to this and then be invited to apply in time for July?

* If we are going to use an agency, will they deal with registering interest, skills testing etc and if so, are they just our first point of contact in getting the whole process started?

Questions, questions...and this is pre-application! (You should see my list of questions on actual Sydney living!.....you may have to pre-warn the Sydney forum!)

Thanks in advance xx

If you want to live in Sydney the 189 maybe a better visa especially since nsw is closed for nominations until 1 July.

I would say it is always worth getting an agent to review our case before deciding to use one or not. We decided to to our application ourselves as it was straightforward once the skills assessment had been completed.

To have 80 points - have you included 20 points for English ability - if so you OH will need to complete the iELTS. QS skills assessments are done by AIQS and take about 2 months.

http://www.aiqs.com.au/site.php?id=76

With children in Sydney I would recommend you go down the skilled migration PR route- employer sponsorship more than likely 457 temp visa, therefore you will need to pay school fees of around $5000 per child.

189 and 190 visa are practically the same apart from the 2 year obligation to the state. 190 applications allocated to a co faster than 189, by 3 wks but you need to wait for the 190 nomination from the state applications can take many weeks to process.

Nsw are not taking any new applications until July I imagin that there will be lots of applications therefore could take a long time.

If you got the ball rolling now with skills assessment and ielts you wild likely have received invite for 189 before July.

If using an agent they would mostly everything - you would have complete things for skills assessment that agent couldn't.

Thanks Lebourvellec,

NSW nominations for the Skilled Nominated (subclass 190) visa are now closed until July but I was unsure whether this was the same for the 189, given they are practically the same visa? - I was unclear from the site as it only makes reference to the 190. (http://www.business.nsw.gov.au)

My husband has already looked into the iELTS test and also the AIQS but has held off registering or sending in applications until we had made a decision on using an agent or not. We weren't sure whether there are any cost or time benefits for approaching an agency having already carried out these tests independently. No doubt we will have a better idea once we make an enquiry with them and see how we can speed things up.

I would love for us to deal with the application process ourselves but I think using an agent is definitely the way forward as they will hopefully deal with the process from start to finish for us! I've been doing so much research and spend nearly every waking our bleary eyed at one website/forum or another trying to gather info.....I feel like my head is going to explode so it will be nice to have someone (an agency) ease that pressure even if only slightly!

I've spoken with Ian Harrop & Associates this morning, really helpful so everything much clearer now. Despite the cost implications, we are going to use them to help us with the process! So, we're just sending across paperwork, qualifications etc and organising for the iELTS (which seems scary) and then we can submit our EOI. There is a hell of a lot of stuff they need which I'm going to have to get together, but it seems less daunting having an agent on board. The ball is rolling at last....Wish us luck! lol

Best of luck Krystaltips, we've only just started looking into options so very early days for us yet. Whilst from a financial perspective, I was tempted to go it alone, it's such a big thing that we will end up going with an agent (I've had really good responses back from Ian Harrup and Go Matilda so far).

I hope everything goes smoothly for you!

The 189 is the independent version of 190. You can live anywhere in Australia on 189, and application chosen by DIBP with the 2 rounds on invitations per month.

Best if luck with your application - you've chosen a good agent.

The visa application fees are so expensive now with paying per person, and with having to prove every point you have claimed or application refused as there are no refunds, using an agent is advisable if not completely confident in what you are doing.

I've spoken with Ian Harrop & Associates this morning, really helpful so everything much clearer now. Despite the cost implications, we are going to use them to help us with the process! So, we're just sending across paperwork, qualifications etc and organising for the iELTS (which seems scary) and then we can submit our EOI. There is a hell of a lot of stuff they need which I'm going to have to get together, but it seems less daunting having an agent on board. The ball is rolling at last....Wish us luck! lol

I would be interested to here how your process goes, we as a family of 4 are just looking into visa options, agents and costs. My other half is a local authority Building Inspector here in the UK and it come under a similar process as your partner. I am particularly interested how you get on with the process of getting his qualification recognized and the IELTS.

Good Luck and keep us posted

Thanks everyone. Feeling excited and apprehensive all at the same time. For us, using an agent is definitely the right choice (we are so busy and if I'm honest, probably a little lazy too!). Having the security blanket of an agent just makes it all seem a bit more achievable. I'm so impatient though, I just want it all done. I have a feeling I'm in for a bit of a wait lol!

We are still in the very early stages too Laurs18 so I'm hoping there are no hiccups or issues with qualifications? My husband has his MSc in Quantity Surveying as well as 3 Diplomas in supporting areas...the agent didn't give any indication there would be a problem with them and from our research, as his qualifications are accredited by a body that is recognised by the Australian Institute of Quantity Surveyors, we couldn't see it being a problem. I'm hoping that's the case, but who knows, we can only keep our fingers crossed it all go's through smoothly but we'll have to deal with any issues as and when they arrive :-/

Good luck everyone with your choices and journey forward x

Guest Ryan the wizard of oz
I would be interested to here how your process goes, we as a family of 4 are just looking into visa options, agents and costs. My other half is a local authority Building Inspector here in the UK and it come under a similar process as your partner. I am particularly interested how you get on with the process of getting his qualification recognized and the IELTS.

Your partners occupation is under ANZSCO code 312113 Building Inspector which is assessed by Vetassess. Kyrstaltips husband is assessed under a different skills assessment body AIQS. So the process is a little different if you use the following link and type in the anzsco code in the search bar it'll describe the role that such an individual would do day to day. It's terribly important that your husbands occupation is relevant to what the Australia government consider a Building Inspector to be.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Previousproducts/1220.0Search0First%20Edition,%20Revision%201?opendocument&tabname=Summary&prodno=1220.0&issue=First%20Edition,%20Revision%201&num=&view=

Hi Krystaltips,

We moved here a couple of years ago on a 457 visa. I'm a professional engineer so my qualifications will be very similar to your husbands. The 457 is an employer sponsored visa. I applied for and got the job first, then my employer did most of the visa application. We just had to submit our part - giving personal details, proving we were a genuine couple, had healthcare provision etc. It was very easy and didn't need an agent, and our part only cost us $250 or so.

To get a 457 visa, you have to have a job offer, but you are not tied to the employer. If the job doesn't work out, you can move employers but the new employer has to take on the 457 visa. It is also a good step to permanent residency, if you want this, as it allows you to get a few years local work experience which helps.

I personally would be reluctant to leave the UK for Australia without a job. Things aren't as buoyant here as they were 2 years ago and I've noticed that a lot of companies now want employees with many years local experience and contacts - their way of cutting out the foreign labour force, it seems. I'm looking to change employer but not having much success (in the Sydney area).

Yes, the occupation Building Inspector is assessed by VETASSESS:

http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_to_australia/qa2_am_I_eligible.cfm

VETASSESS looks at qualifications and work experience, and the occupation of Building Inspector is a Group C occupation:

http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_to_australia/qa2_nominating_occupation.cfm#CGroup

See also: http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupations/b/building-inspector.htm

Best regards.

Thanks Pommiam,

My husband has just this evening expressed his reluctance in applying for the 189 now! Mostly due to the hefty costs involved and also, as you pointed out, he would prefer to secure work prior to leaving the UK. He's now wondering if the 457 sponsorship route could be a better option initially. We're looking at Sydney ourselves as my husband has a couple of friends currently based there, one of which is in construction. He secured a sponsorship and had it written into his contract that they would sponsor his PR application (along with other securities) after 2 years. He's also of the opinion there are plenty of opportunities in Sydney for QS's and similar roles?

However, I have concerns about going forward on a 457 as it doesn't seem to offer any security for a family? Add to this, potential healthcare costs, $4/5k education fees per child (we have 3) we'd be liable to pay being on a temporary visa, along with having to rent until we can secure PR and get a mortgage (?) and all of a sudden, the cost implications of the 189 seem nothing!

Its so difficult to make the right decision lol! Would it not be a safer option for us to apply for the 189 and in the meantime, contact companies of interest or apply for positions, in hope of securing something in time for our visa being granted (fingers crossed) ???

Hi Krystaltips.

You might also look at a permanent visa via employer sponsorship, in particular the Direct Entry Stream of subclass 186 (the Employer Nomination Scheme).

Your husband would need a migration skills assessment to go for the 186 strategy, or for a 189/190 visa - so maybe obtain that while looking into the prospects for employer sponsorship?

Recognise though that many employers are not across the employer sponsored pathways, and those that are tend to be aware of the 457 rather than the 186.

Personally, I think that employers have fewer obligations under the 186 compared with a 457 - as discussed on this old article I wrote (some aspects have since changed):

http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=596

Best regards.

Hi,

I'm not familiar with the 189 visa - we didn't do any research we just took a job with a 457 visa on a whim and took it from there!!

We do pay for private health insurance - about 100GBP per month, but we do have access to Medicare (Aussie NHS too). We had to get the private medical cover get the visa, but we are not clear if we still need to have it now we are in the country and registered with Medicare. We kept it anyway as we have been led to believe that Medicare is much like the NHS - OK, but waiting times are long and private medical cover allows you to get treatment more quickly.

I don't know what the childcare situation is - we are child free and haven't any information on that. If your husband gets a job with a 457 visa, then you and your family are free to stay and do what you want (work, study, sunbathe etc) as long as he is employed. I'm not sure what other security PR offers.

Mortgages - there are restrictions for 457 visa holders. We are renting but we have learnt that if we did want to buy, we would be limited to buying or building a new house, rebuilding something in poor condition or buying government housing stock (defence, social housing etc). Basically, they want you to improve Aussie housing stock.

We came here with little knowledge of Australia and so a temporary visa was fine for us. It has given us time to explore the place and decide if we want to stay and make things permanent, or move on. We have decided that we will be ready to leave on the next 12 months or so, so the 457 has been fine. Equally, if we had decided to stay, it would have been a good stepping stone to PR.

Either way, my feeling is that getting a job secured is the most important thing to do. You don't want to take a chance on it. Everything else here is easy and not much different to the UK when you have money, from buying cars and furniture to supermarket shopping and life in general, but you really don't want to be spending your savings, or the proceeds from a house sale on day to day living expenses while you find work.

I don't know what the childcare situation is - we are child free and haven't any information on that. If your husband gets a job with a 457 visa, then you and your family are free to stay and do what you want (work, study, sunbathe etc) as long as he is employed. I'm not sure what other security PR offers.

The main security is that your residency status is not dependent on remaining employed with the sponsoring employer. It used to be that if you lost your job for any reason, you had 28 days to leave the country. This led to some abuses as it is obviously quite an insecure place to be if you have kids in school etc. Nowadays it is 90 days I believe, if you can't find someone else to hire you and take over the sponsorship.

Also on a temporary visa (457) you have no access to benefits etc so if you did lose your job, finances would force most people out PDQ regardless

Some people find this insecurity too much to consider. Personally we never had a problem with it (we are on 457s), we came here because I was hired into an interesting job which is the best use for the visa IMO, in the same way as a work permit works anywhere else. It seems to be those trying to use it as a pathway to emigration that can come unstuck. Having said that, our kids are young so if we had to leave, it wouldn't be the end of the world. With high school age kids I probably wouldn't come over on a 457, too much risk of disrupting important educational or social stages.

On the subject of costs, in NSW you will have to pay $5000 per child per year for public schools, or go private (which of course costs as well). Some employers (especially the bigger ones for professional roles) pick up this tab; mine did. Also note that you have no access to childcare rebates or the like, same as other benefits, so you'll pay full whack for that if you need it, and that gets expensive. There aren't any other particular costs you cop for as a temporary resident I don't think

Mortgages - there are restrictions for 457 visa holders. We are renting but we have learnt that if we did want to buy, we would be limited to buying or building a new house, rebuilding something in poor condition or buying government housing stock (defence, social housing etc). Basically, they want you to improve Aussie housing stock.

That's not right. You can buy on a temporary visa but you need permission from the FIRB which is easy to do, apply online and comes through very quickly. You can't buy investment property, it has to be one you will live in. Also you can get a mortgage, there are less lenders who will lend to you but they are out there, and rates aren't any higher. You do need a 20% minimum deposit though

I know the above for a fact because I received FIRB approval and a mortgage approval to buy a house in December whilst on a 457.

We came here with little knowledge of Australia and so a temporary visa was fine for us. It has given us time to explore the place and decide if we want to stay and make things permanent, or move on. We have decided that we will be ready to leave on the next 12 months or so, so the 457 has been fine. Equally, if we had decided to stay, it would have been a good stepping stone to PR.

Yup

Either way, my feeling is that getting a job secured is the most important thing to do. You don't want to take a chance on it. Everything else here is easy and not much different to the UK when you have money, from buying cars and furniture to supermarket shopping and life in general, but you really don't want to be spending your savings, or the proceeds from a house sale on day to day living expenses while you find work.

I wouldn't say my sentiments exactly, but they're not far off. Much is made on here of the insecurity of a 457 visa but chucking in a long-term job to come over here and look for work with a family in tow is hardly a secure choice either. This forum has always been quite biased towards the PoV of people who are looking to emigrate as in make a long-term/permanent move IMO. If your overall intention is to move lock,stock & barrel to Aus with a view to settling for good (ie emigration) then a PR visa is absolutely the right thing to do. If you just take advantage of someone offering you a job to try something different for a few years and then see where it takes you, nothing wrong with a 457 so long as you have your eyes open to the risks

Archived