UK's biggest private landlord favours Eastern European migrants over UK born tenants

paulv

Sorry, perhaps I should clarify. Single mothers on benefits have a reputation for not paying their rent. We actually rented our home out to a single mother with two kids, but she was working, so we did not have an issue with that. She was a perfect tenant and we were very sad when she left and bought her own house. Had she been on benefits it would have been a different story and we would not have rented it out to her.

Perhaps I should clarify. Single mothers on benefits should not have this 'reputation' for not paying their rent, because those that are doing, are simply not talking about it-they stay under the radar to avoid further criticism.

But in any event that would not fit the profile of single mother=on benefit scenario, so there is little interest in the single mother on benefits doing the right thing is there?

When we disparage and demean we have little interest in anything other than generalizing in order to prove our point.

And of course those demeaned are the ones least able to defend themselves without incurring further attack.

An irresistible mode of behaviour. I know it well.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perhaps I should clarify. Single mothers on benefits should not have this 'reputation' for not paying their rent, because those that are doing, are simply not talking about it-they stay under the radar to avoid further criticism.

But in any event that would not fit the profile of single mother=on benefit scenario, so there is little interest in the single mother on benefits doing the right thing is there?

When we disparage and demean we have little interest in anything other than generalizing in order to prove our point.

And of course those demeaned are the ones least able to defend themselves without incurring further attack.

An irresistible mode of behaviour. I know it well.

It matters not whether or not the single mothers talk about the fact that they have paid their rent. It is the experience of the landlord that counts and if a landlord has had a number of people on HB not paying their rent, s(he) is not going to risk taking on any others. There is also the issue of a deposit. If a tenant has a job, they have to put down a deposit. A person on HB does not, so it is very hard to get back the money for any damages caused.

If a single mother on benefits is not inclined to pay her rent because someone has said that single mothers are unreliable, she is not the sort of person you would want to rent to anyway.

Single mothers on benefits have got that reputation because of the way a large number of them have behaved, not because of the way one or two have behaved.

To compare: Nigerians have not been given a bad reputation because a couple of their number decided to kill Lee Rigby. However, if a large number of Nigerians started killing unarmed soldiers who are off-duty, then they would start to get a reputation for being murderous sociopaths and people would say that reputation was deserved.

Reputation comes about because of the actions of a large number of people, not because of the actions of a few.

I don't think he wants to displace anyone through greed, the bloke is offering a service and want to be payed for it. Having worked for myself and worked for customers who say that they " need a bit more time to pay", then to see them in the pub on a Friday night, now that's wrong. Why should non payment of my bill fund their social life. The bloke only wants paying and if his customers (tenants) aren't paying their bill then like any other good business man he is going to find customers (from Eastern Europe) who are going to pay their bills. Simple economics and business sense, good on him.

His previous tenants should have payed their bills, easy as that.

This works the other way round too. My oh was owed money from govt depts for several months, but central govt wouldn't release the funds so he could be paid for work he'd carried out. He's still waiting for some of it a year on, he's still paying tax which funds the salaries and expenses of politicians.

I don't understand the vilification of single mothers. If we really have to generalise so crudely, what about the fathers of the children who default on their maintenance payments, or simply go missing? My sister became a single parent through no fault of her own (she was working five jobs to support her now ex through uni when he decided to start a relationship with another woman) and she was left with two children to bring up on her own. He paid £10 a month for them despite having a job paying £40k pa. She was lucky in that my parents were in a position to help her out, but most people aren't so fortunate and have to get by as best they can.

Most are stuck between a rock and a hard place - lack of affordable, accessible childcare is just one problem frequently cited (and acknowledged by govt) which makes working difficult. That, along with the increase in zero hour contracts which means there's no guarantee of work from week to week which then affects benefit payments, and the introduction of universal credit (there was a trial of uc which showed that rent arrears went up 7 fold which should have been enough to make the govt's think again, but no... http://www.lettingagenttoday.co.uk/news_features/Rent-arrears-soar-sevenfold-in-Universal-Credit-trial) and the 'bedroom tax' (I wouldn't have a problem with people moving to smaller, more appropriate properties if they were available, but they're not) means that already tight budgets are squeezed even harder. If we want to make a change for the next generation we have to invest now, but governments (any govt) aren't interested. They think as far as the next election and what they think will win votes.

I hate what this bloke has done and would never condone it, but I'm not surprised he's taken advantage of the situation. It's not up to him to look after the poor - we have to build more social housing at a price we can afford and rent them out at a rate the tenants (HB) can afford. And remember, it isn't only the unemployed who receive housing benefit - http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/housing_benefit_and_local_housing_allowance/what_is_housing_benefit/housing_benefit_calculations.

It's sad that people can't see the victims in this - children shouldn't be penalised for being poor and I can't believe that some can't see the long term potential problems arising from it. They moan about the disaffected and feckless, but how will that change by alienating them and their children from society further?

It matters not whether or not the single mothers talk about the fact that they have paid their rent. It is the experience of the landlord that counts and if a landlord has had a number of people on HB not paying their rent, s(he) is not going to risk taking on any others. There is also the issue of a deposit. If a tenant has a job, they have to put down a deposit. A person on HB does not, so it is very hard to get back the money for any damages caused.

If a single mother on benefits is not inclined to pay her rent because someone has said that single mothers are unreliable, she is not the sort of person you would want to rent to anyway.

Single mothers on benefits have got that reputation because of the way a large number of them have behaved, not because of the way one or two have behaved.

To compare: Nigerians have not been given a bad reputation because a couple of their number decided to kill Lee Rigby. However, if a large number of Nigerians started killing unarmed soldiers who are off-duty, then they would start to get a reputation for being murderous sociopaths and people would say that reputation was deserved.

Reputation comes about because of the actions of a large number of people, not because of the actions of a few.

Well thank you Stephen Hawking!!!

But I'll pass on the condescending lecture.

Though this topic is about this nice gentleman and those less desirous who have crossed his anointed path, my point has been about the generalisations used to justify his actions.

Poor landlord vs evil scrounging tenants. It's irresistible isn't it?

Incredibly irresistible it seems!!:

Nigerians? kill Mr Rigby (a vile way to score a point btw), there was only 2, ergo Nigerians don't have a bad reputation.

But...BUT, single mothers !#@*&!!! Now this is a whole different ball game! 'That reputation' no less!!

You are right of course; they do have 'that reputation', but why?

I'll grant there is more than just the two! but how are you-you personally (it's your post I'm responding to)- going to prove how many?

By putting up a link?

By quoting the Daily Mail/Sun or whatever tw.atpress prints 'facts'?

By quoting from one of the myriad 'thinktanks'?

By referring to that nice Mr Cameron's advisors?

By referring to 'research' in general?

What about the Two Parents R' Us association?

There are so many of which you could put up 'facts'. But of course they would only be expressed opinion based on philosophical/political belief.

What I am doing and will continue to do is to object to 'generalisation to justify'.

And single mothers are a prime target.

I object to those on the arse end of society ALL being grouped together as some kind of subhumans just so people like this man can look as if they have integrity, when all they have frankly, is a knack for making a profit.

This works the other way round too. My oh was owed money from govt depts for several months, but central govt wouldn't release the funds so he could be paid for work he'd carried out. He's still waiting for some of it a year on, he's still paying tax which funds the salaries and expenses of politicians.

I don't understand the vilification of single mothers. If we really have to generalise so crudely, what about the fathers of the children who default on their maintenance payments, or simply go missing? My sister became a single parent through no fault of her own (she was working five jobs to support her now ex through uni when he decided to start a relationship with another woman) and she was left with two children to bring up on her own. He paid £10 a month for them despite having a job paying £40k pa. She was lucky in that my parents were in a position to help her out, but most people aren't so fortunate and have to get by as best they can.

Most are stuck between a rock and a hard place - lack of affordable, accessible childcare is just one problem frequently cited (and acknowledged by govt) which makes working difficult. That, along with the increase in zero hour contracts which means there's no guarantee of work from week to week which then affects benefit payments, and the introduction of universal credit (there was a trial of uc which showed that rent arrears went up 7 fold which should have been enough to make the govt's think again, but no... http://www.lettingagenttoday.co.uk/news_features/Rent-arrears-soar-sevenfold-in-Universal-Credit-trial) and the 'bedroom tax' (I wouldn't have a problem with people moving to smaller, more appropriate properties if they were available, but they're not) means that already tight budgets are squeezed even harder. If we want to make a change for the next generation we have to invest now, but governments (any govt) aren't interested. They think as far as the next election and what they think will win votes.

I hate what this bloke has done and would never condone it, but I'm not surprised he's taken advantage of the situation. It's not up to him to look after the poor - we have to build more social housing at a price we can afford and rent them out at a rate the tenants (HB) can afford. And remember, it isn't only the unemployed who receive housing benefit - http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/housing_benefit_and_local_housing_allowance/what_is_housing_benefit/housing_benefit_calculations.

It's sad that people can't see the victims in this - children shouldn't be penalised for being poor and I can't believe that some can't see the long term potential problems arising from it. They moan about the disaffected and feckless, but how will that change by alienating them and their children from society further?

You illustrated a fact there. That is not required. It does not fit the endgame here.

(I have huge compassion for these women and the hard job they do. I experienced it myself, having to sell my wedding ring to buy clothes for my child. The father bought a boat-yes a boat!)

If they are grouped together and demeaned, they become such a handy statistical tool. To put up with that and cope with what they have to is an outrage.

You illustrated a fact there. That is not required. It does not fit the endgame here.

(I have huge compassion for these women and the hard job they do. I experienced it myself, having to sell my wedding ring to buy clothes for my child. The father bought a boat-yes a boat!)

If they are grouped together and demeaned, they become such a handy statistical tool. To put up with that and cope with what they have to is an outrage.

Indeed, a very handy tool. Single mothers, unemployed, benefit recipients, the young, the old, 'hardworkingfamilies', taxpayers..... The list goes on....

Or the actions of a small number of people being exaggerated?,say it long enough and loud enough and it "still" becomes the truth,we never learn

Or the actions of a small number of people being exaggerated?,say it long enough and loud enough and it "still" becomes the truth,we never learn

Just like people making out bricklayers are beyond redemption,drink too much,chong too much and have a general attitude of "ahhhh it'll be al right somehow",dont believe it for a minute,we "care":wubclub:

Ive even got something called "office" on this puter,took one look at a spreadsheet and thought #### that! never looked again,just try not to stereotype and pigeon hole people is my message:hug::biggrin:

Archived