State Sponsorship conditions...clutching at straws..

jodipodi

Hi all, I've stupidly not been keeping an eye on the WA SS list and have only just realised that our planned occupation 'welfare worker' which we were hoping to be assessed on has in fact now got conditions attached under a 190 SS visa, meaning my hubby would need a 12 month job offer to be eligible. This is highly unlikely in his occupation.

I believe he could realistically be assessed as 'welfare worker' 'community worker' or 'youth worker', the latter is on SA SS list and obviously financial conditions apply to most SS visas...

What I'm wondering is whether you must have those financial values at the actual time of application?....

We planned on applying as soon as hubby finishes uni in May but not making the move until 2017, meaning we had plenty time to have as much financial security as possible, obviously if the finances have to be proven at time of application we will have to wait it out and hope we meet eligibility when the time comes in 2017..and we all know how quickly visa conditions change.. :sad:

Wanted to strike while the irons still hot y'know?

I am not up to date on the financial side. But, I do see an issue with the skills assessment - even if his occupation had not gone to sched 2. Namely passing the skills assessment. If he isn't qualified yet, would he have sufficient experience? Generally you need some time - normally a number of years in the occupation and pre qualification experience does not count.

Ewww... 2017, will come around quick but in Australia they change the rules like the wind.

Things are changing so much, for instance as you say WA only started putting stipulations for job offers on their 190's last year. I suspect that NSW and Vic especially will follow suit. SA is a designated growth area so perhaps not so soon. To answer you question though, I think that they do take finances into consideration at the time of application - but there is leeway and it could be taken at the time of entry into Australia. That is what we are hoping as we in all probability wont have sold our house at the time of (hopeful) application.

I am not up to date on the financial side. But, I do see an issue with the skills assessment - even if his occupation had not gone to sched 2. Namely passing the skills assessment. If he isn't qualified yet, would he have sufficient experience? Generally you need some time - normally a number of years in the occupation and pre qualification experience does not count.

Possibly VS, I need to look into it more....under ACWA I believe if he qualifies under a certain recognised degree the work experience isn't required, if the degrees not recognised then work experience can go towards assessment, he has been working under the occupation for about 4 years altogether now but I think the degree should be a recognised one. I'm not entirely certain however, but I can't see anything in there that states employment experience needs to be after qualifications for ACWA xx

Ewww... 2017, will come around quick but in Australia they change the rules like the wind.

Things are changing so much, for instance as you say WA only started putting stipulations for job offers on their 190's last year. I suspect that NSW and Vic especially will follow suit. SA is a designated growth area so perhaps not so soon. To answer you question though, I think that they do take finances into consideration at the time of application - but there is leeway and it could be toaken at the time of entry into Australia. That is what we are hoping as we in all probability wont have sold our house at the time of (hopeful) application.

Thing is for us we don't have the 'potential' sale of a house to say 'look, we own this so we're hoping to sell'... It will literally be savings which we were hoping to put away before we actually pack up and go. Hope there's a way round it, or another avenue x

• 1 month later...

am a welfare worker in wa I had logded m application last year october2013 and not yet invited my agent said to me that should wait very few invites r given and the giving in order by date as i ring up wa state i had been told that they will pick up at random if am lucky so i refer my case to the members of parliament labor and i ad been told now no invitation welfare worker is been granted and that make me crazy

• 1 month later...
Possibly VS, I need to look into it more....under ACWA I believe if he qualifies under a certain recognised degree the work experience isn't required, if the degrees not recognised then work experience can go towards assessment, he has been working under the occupation for about 4 years altogether now but I think the degree should be a recognised one. I'm not entirely certain however, but I can't see anything in there that states employment experience needs to be after qualifications for ACWA xx

Hi jodipodi,

I just did my ACWA skills assessments. Your husband can either get his skills assessed by (a) qualifications (a relevant degree is needed) or by (b) work experience (even that prior to his degree) of at least 3 years. If you're planning to apply only in 2017 option (b) shouldn't be an issue. If you want, you could also apply through option (a) by May when your hubs grads - BUT! I'm not sure for how long the skills assessment is valid for - let me check my docs & get back to you if its indicated there.

The application is AU $650 in total - AU$500 for skills assessments & AU$150 for the points advice. I lodged my application in mid Dec 2013 and gt the outcome in late Mar 2014. I went through option (b) and the core competencies doc took me ages coz I wanted to get it right.

am a welfare worker in wa I had logded m application last year october2013 and not yet invited my agent said to me that should wait very few invites r given and the giving in order by date as i ring up wa state i had been told that they will pick up at random if am lucky so i refer my case to the members of parliament labor and i ad been told now no invitation welfare worker is been granted and that make me crazy

Hi bhavish,

Since you're working as a welfare worker in wa now, just a quick qn - Is it hard to find work as a welfare worker in WA? Any tips?

I'm tentative about launching an EOI coz I have yet to find work in WA - I have 70 pts currently w 3 years offshore welfare work exp. I imagine it would suck if i get offered to apply for 190 visa w WA & getting rejected coz I failed to find a 12 month contract! :(

Btw I'm offshore currently.

Thanks for your help in advance!

I feel your worry, I am just about to submit my skills assessment for my nominated occupation as a sports centre manager. My worry is the next stage which is submitting the EOI to skillselect. Not sure how long the EOI takes but once I get an invite to submit the visa application, you only get 60 days before that invite becomes void, I think you get a second chance before its taken off the system but I also have to give a 12 month job offer at that time. Its been stressing me out big time!! Its so difficult trying to get someone to give you that commitment. I have been pulling my hair out thinking about how difficult its going to be.

I feel your worry, I am just about to submit my skills assessment for my nominated occupation as a sports centre manager. My worry is the next stage which is submitting the EOI to skillselect. Not sure how long the EOI takes but once I get an invite to submit the visa application, you only get 60 days before that invite becomes void, I think you get a second chance before its taken off the system but I also have to give a 12 month job offer at that time. Its been stressing me out big time!! Its so difficult trying to get someone to give you that commitment. I have been pulling my hair out thinking about how difficult its going to be.

Nickbray, I feel you too!! And the worst part is I'm not even in Oz right now! That's why I've been delaying the launching of my EOI coz I don't want to lose my 2 tries w Skills Select....Argh, my pride is gg to take a beating with all those rejections i'm expecting to get when I start applying for jobs with no visa, YET. But then again, who knows maybe we'll find an employer who is brave enough to take that chance with us :) we just gotta market ourselves pretty darn well!

So let me get this right, the visa process is from what I gather so far (if i'm wrong pls correct me!): Launch EOI > Receive State Sponsorship (SS) invite > Submit SS docs > SS approved > Invited to apply for 190 visa > Allocation of CO + submit Police Check & medicals > Visa approved (hopefully)

So you're saying that the letter from the employer should be presented when we submit the docs for State Sponsorship? Or when we are invited to apply for the 190 visa?

Hi thanks for the replies... We are now going with SA SS under 'youth Worker' and are about to instruct an agent who has been very helpful.

All the best of luck to everyone xx

Hi jodipodi!

That sounds great! I see on SA's website that Youth Worker is classified as High Availability! Once you clear IELTs & the skills assessment, its all good to go!!! Best wishes :)

Hi Jodi.

Is the skills assessment the same or similar for both youth worker and welfare worker? what do you need to lodge your application? I am in the process of gathering the evidence for my skills assessment. I have 3 years youth work experience, 4.5 years as an education welfare officer and a BSc tons in Health, community and social care. I have been out of the industry for last 2 years but have recently been offered 2 jobs, 1 as a youth worker for young carers and 1 as a senior re-ablement worker for Adult Social Care services (waiting for start dates for both). Hoping the recent experience will help for when we make the move, but of course cannot be used for the skills assessment.

Hi Jodi.

Is the skills assessment the same or similar for both youth worker and welfare worker? what do you need to lodge your application? I am in the process of gathering the evidence for my skills assessment. I have 3 years youth work experience, 4.5 years as an education welfare officer and a BSc tons in Health, community and social care. I have been out of the industry for last 2 years but have recently been offered 2 jobs, 1 as a youth worker for young carers and 1 as a senior re-ablement worker for Adult Social Care services (waiting for start dates for both). Hoping the recent experience will help for when we make the move, but of course cannot be used for the skills assessment.

Hiya IC, the welfare worker occupation is assessed by AWCA... Or ACWA....the association for community and welfare workers or vice versa.........the requirements I believe are different to Youth Worker as this is assessed by VETASSESS. Are you going for welfare or youth worker? Xxx

For Youth Worker skills assessment by VETASSESS my husband needs a relevant qualification that is equivalent to an Australian AQF Diploma. He has a foundation degree and over a year of post qualification highly relevant work experience.. this is sufficient. I believe that 3 years of relevant work experience aswell as one year of highly relevant experience pre-qualification can substitute the need for one year post qualification experience.

We will need qualification certificates and transcript , employment references etc that are listed on VETASSESS forms...along with the usual ID stuff and have been advised to do IELTS as hubby's work history is gobbledygook so we are unlikely to be able to claim work experience for Points test and therefore IELTS will give us these points.

The details for that are on Vetassess website.http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_to_australia/qa2_nominating_occupation.cfm

As for ACWA.....I think a degree may be required. http://www.acwa.org.au

We cannot go for Welfare Worker as it's on WA SS list 2 which has conditions of an offer of employment being needed.

SA SS doesn't require this employment offer so we have chosen to go ahead with SA SS... we liked Adelaide when we had a reccie so I'm happy to do that and hope hubby can make some contacts prior to migrating for work... If not then we will go and just hope and try our best as most other people do xx

Hi jodipodi!

That sounds great! I see on SA's website that Youth Worker is classified as High Availability! Once you clear IELTs & the skills assessment, its all good to go!!! Best wishes :)

It certainly is Fiana! Great isn't it.....sooo glad. Thought we'd had it when WA changed the requirements but we have been very lucky. Thanks very much xxx

I am going for Welfare Worker, but at present it has reached its ceiling limits for SA (if they even still exist). However, I can see that Youth Worker is still free and accepting applications. By the time the skills assessment is through we will nearly be at July and I then have to wait and see if its still on the new list, or change plans and go under Youth Worker - which is a different assessing body and would take another 12 weeks to get a positive result - arghhhh!!! too many uncontrollable variables. I suppose our fates lay in the hands of the Sunshine Gods!

C xx

I am going for Welfare Worker, but at present it has reached its ceiling limits for SA (if they even still exist). However, I can see that Youth Worker is still free and accepting applications. By the time the skills assessment is through we will nearly be at July and I then have to wait and see if its still on the new list, or change plans and go under Youth Worker - which is a different assessing body and would take another 12 weeks to get a positive result - arghhhh!!! too many uncontrollable variables. I suppose our fates lay in the hands of the Sunshine Gods!

C xx

Hi ImageC,

I'm no expert, but requirements to grant a Welfare Worker a State Sponsorship visa w SA now is pretty crazy coz its listed as 'Special Conditions Apply'.... i.e. 'If any of the applicant’s studies were undertaken outside of South Australia, a minimum of 50% of their qualification must have been completed in South Australia.' (found on: https://www.migration.sa.gov.au/node/104 and also https://www.migration.sa.gov.au/SNOL_data.

Hopefully, like you said, they'll reopen new vacancies for Welfare Workers come July 2014!!

WA is just as bad now too...trying to get the ever elusive 12 months employment contract. :laugh:

@fiana the job offer must be submitted at the time of putting in the visa application, so once Skillselect have given the invite to apply, you get 28 days (as you mentioned in your PM) to submit your visa application with the offer in place.

Crazy!!!!!!

Wow Fiana, I had never seen that before. It's getting scarier :-(

i notice that you gave had your skills assessment through - I am just in the process of completing the application and preparing documents. Do you have any advice for me please?

X

Hi imagec

Yeah, better to thoroughly check the requirements. Or mayb try for Youth Worker since its in High Availability status?

About the application to ACWA, i got stuck at the 5 core competencies... That took me some time to get done - 25 pages in all. Im not sure if it was suppose to be that long but i didnt wanna take the risk coz i dont have formal qualifications in the welfare field so work exp was the only thing i could base my capabilities on. My Employer letter was signed off by a Senior colleague/ supervisor, not my HR. Ummm... What else...when u submit ur application, dont forget to choose both full skills assessment ($500) & skills point test advise ($150). I forgot 1 and had to resubmit whole thing but the lovely staff at ACWA thankfully didnt reset by processing time. I submitted it mid of Dec & got the outcome late Mar, it was pretty long coz of the xmas hols.

Lemme know if u have any other qns :)

@fiana the job offer must be submitted at the time of putting in the visa application, so once Skillselect have given the invite to apply, you get 28 days (as you mentioned in your PM) to submit your visa application with the offer in place.

Crazy!!!!!!

Nick, lets hope that by some miracle, our occupations end up in schedule 1. Or even better, on skill select's occupation list to qualify for a skilled independent visa! HAHA. Mayb i can just keep dreaming... Hehe.

All the best on your job search! Last hurdle to clear ( other than medicals & police checks later).

Following a lengthy chat with my migration agent, my latest thoughts are - I am going to apply for skills assessments for BOTH Youth Worker and Welfare Worker as this will give more options and maybe allow me to sleep at night without having cold sweat panics, lol xx

Good idea xx

Archived