Singapore/Qantas - cheap one way flights?

Guest Gollywobbler

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi all

I e-mailed IOM (no-one in particular) on Saturday, just to test the service. I had a reply this morning, as follows:

The only carrier that they have a contract with is Qantas (understandably, I guess - they can't really deal with anyone except the national carrier.) Their price with Qantas for London-Singapore-Perth one-way on 5th November would be approx $826.00 USD, which converts to about £440 today.

IOM specifically said that they could not offer me a price on Singapore Airlines because they do not have a contract with them. However, the Singapore Airlines website (which could be dearer than a travel agent) quoted £460 for the same route the same day.

For us, the carrier is more important than the price because of Mum's age and disability, plus the fact that she usually does the trek to Australia and back on her own. The saving would have to be a lot more than £20 to make me reconsider our own parameters.

Having said that, though, London-Perth is also the shortest route between the UK and Australia. For a flight from, say, Manchester to Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne or Adelaide the saving per person could be quite a bit higher.

IOM stressed that Qantas do offer the 40kg per person baggage allowance in Economy Class on migration flights. If the flight is booked through IOM, I cannot imagine that Qnatas would dare to try to argue with that, even if the passenger opts for a stopover in Singapore en route. For those considering a stop-over and using the baggage allowance to the hilt, I would very definitely recommend close consideration to the possibility of booking with Qantas via IOM.

Cheers all

Gill

Guest Alison1967

Gill

Having flew with singapore airlines I cannot fault the service that was offered and intend to use them again.

Ali x

PS The cat flew Qantas Heathrow to Melbourne on route to pet prison and arrived quite chilled too but that was in the hold :D:D

Guest Gollywobbler

Oh I promise that I am not fibbing. When I checked the Singapore Airlines website a couple of weeks ago before starting this thread, the price of London to Perth on Nov 5th 2006 was very definitely £459.60.

Having very nearly put a brick through the PC this evening (the broadband connection went on strike for a while) I checked their website again. Exactly the same search parameters.

CRIKEY, you beauty!!! Etc. The same flight is now....... wait for it.....£458.40. A whole £1.20 less. Is the price of a barrel of Crude dropping slightly to inspire this generosity towards the customer, I wonder?

Cheers

Gill

Guest Alison1967
Oh I promise that I am not fibbing. When I checked the Singapore Airlines website a couple of weeks ago before starting this thread, the price of London to Perth on Nov 5th 2006 was very definitely £459.60.

Having very nearly put a brick through the PC this evening (the broadband connection went on strike for a while) I checked their website again. Exactly the same search parameters.

CRIKEY, you beauty!!! Etc. The same flight is now....... wait for it.....£458.40. A whole £1.20 less. Is the price of a barrel of Crude dropping slightly to inspire this generosity towards the customer, I wonder?

Cheers

Gill

Have another go you might get more off :wink:

Ali

We've just booked our flights for January with Singapore, It was £415 per adult, and £311 per child - then an extortionate £409.60 for surcharges and taxes, making it £1,861.60 . Got fixed up with accommodation for the first few weeks, so feel as if things are moving again.

Ali

Guest Alison1967

GILL

Singapore airlines have 3 day sale on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Checked hubby flight 28th october and is now £60 cheaper.......... GO GIRL GO !!

Ali x

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi all

Singapore's pricing is junketing around the sky at the minute. I'm not sure why.

I defo told their ruddy website 5th November, 12:00 noon from London, 09:35 to Perth the nest day, and it defo said £459.60 or near as dammit.

Mum's visa has now been granted sooner than I was expecting, and I am anxious to get the thing validated asap. Because that seems to be the final step in securing the visa, I don't regard the process as 'complete' until that has been done.

So I played with the website again today, actually looking for seat-availability rather than prices. The possible new dates are Thursday 5th, Friday 5th or Saturday 7th October. For the same itinerary as before, it saith £610, £481 and £423 respectively.

Why? Sure, with most business travel, if the junior staff can go on their own they go Economy because they do not have to hit the ground running when they arrive. The senior staff are usually entitled to demand Business Class for any flight longer than 2 hours. If the job is important enough to send someone senior, the junior Minute-Taker goes Business Class too, because it is no use if the assistant is asleep at the meeting.

The minimum flight-time from Singapore to Perth is about 6 hours, so I don't think business travel explains these price fluctuations in the space of 3 consecutive days.

Does anyone know why these fluctuations occur?

Curious

Gill :?

I think you will find that this is just the seasonal change date in the middle of your schedule. I have just booked by daughter's ticket for Christmas and, if I booked a flight before 10th December, the price was £500 less than after 10th. She doesn't finish Uni until 15th, so this proved to be a bit of a nightmare! With Christmas AND The Ashes, flights are sky high. In the end, I phoned the University and asked for permission for her to leave a week early! Even though I have paid over £1,000, I still feel like we had a bargain!!! Hmmmmmmm!

Guest Gollywobbler

Oh Krista!

I absolutely do know what you mean! My Mum flew to Oz on Dec 11 last year and the price with Singapore Airlines (return) was over £1,100 Economy. Had it been possible for her to leave here on (say) 15 November, Singapore would have been around £800 but Qantas were doing a 'Special Offer' of £550 PROVIDED she went to Oz wiithin about a week.

Which I couldn't do for many reasons, mainly because of needing to wait for a paper & post tourist visa to arrive (85 year olds cannot get ETAs) so in the end (like you) you just have to pay up & put up, don't you? The airlines have you over a barrel and they damned well know it, blast them. :evil:

Cheers

Gill

Guest abeattie

Hi all,

Been reading with interest your threads on one way tickets, we flew from London to Perth last November 18th it cost us £1670.00 all up that was for 3 adults and 1 child with singapore airlines, we found them to be excellent.

I booked the flight directly with them from their webiste.

Hope this helps,

Ang

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Ang

Yep. In the end, I've done exactly the same as you. I've bought Mum's ticket direct from the Singapore Airlines website. The cost was £454.40 for the two flight-times she wants. It would have been cheaper if I had chosen less popular fight-times, but those were only £30 cheaper

Whereabouts are you in Perth? I'm in the UK but my sister lives in Jandakt, which is south of Fremantle to judge from the map.

Cheers

Gill

Archived