Singapore/Qantas - cheap one way flights?

Guest Gollywobbler

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi all

I've just read a post on another forum in which someone says that she is sure she has read that Singapore Airlines and Qantas are both offering cheap one-way flights to Australia.

I've just given the Singapore Airlines website a random date of 5th November 2006, and it quoted £459.60 one way in Economy. I then gave it a return date of 5th May 2007 to chew on as well, and the total was something like £709. I'll play with the Qantas website in a minute.

Direct from the airline, it doesn't look like a cheap deal to me. Is anyone aware of a travel agent doing special offers on one-way flights or something please?

Thanks

Gill

Guest Hayley

Hi Gill,

We got quotes off both and singapore are def the cheapest. They also give you 40 kg baggage in the price whereas quantas make you pay the extra.

Hayley

Guest Nelson

Hi Gill,

Shortly after being granted our visas, we received a letter from IOM asking us if wanted to take advantage of a reduced fare for immigrants. I made my enquiry this weekend and have been quoted £391.03 per adult which includes a 40kg luggage allowance. I think IOM stands for International Office of Migration. If I can find the website, I'll post again later. This may be an option you want to consider???

Krista

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Hayley & Krista

Thanks very much for this information.

Krista, did IOM contact you out of the blue, or did you make the initial contact with them at some stage? Someone (probably you) has mentioned this organisation to me before. I think somebody said they offered a very competitive rate for shipping gods to Australia.

I'm just wondering whether all new visa-holders hear from IoM automatically after the Grant, or whether I should e-mail and get the ball rolling with them that way instead?

Thanks

Gill

Guest Nelson

There's no harm in making first contact, given that your visa grant number will be requested before they make any reservations on your behalf.. Interesting you mention about shipping costs - I'm gonna check out th website now as not happy with the arrangements we have made!

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi all

It might well have been Ali who mentioned IoM initially and I'm pretty sure it was to do with a competitive quote for shipping. Until Krista mentioned it today, I had had no idea that they might be involved with flight bookings as well.

Their website is not easy to work, though. Can anyone provide idiot-proof links to the shipping bit and to the flights section, please?

Thanks

Gill

Cal, just emailed them myself this morning, go to tabs at top of home page and click 'about iom, then near the bottom of the right hand side of the page will be an email link.

I seem to remember they don't help with removal costs, just flights.

Ali

thanks ,its the flights we are interested in ,i have crown coming to do the packing and shipping so all ok there,,just need some nice cheap flights ,i resent paying £600 for a 2yr old ,but what can you do ??? Gary e-mailed Quantas and Singapore who are both offering 40 kg on production of permant residency visa so it looks like they are the ones to be aiming for ,they offered more still if we go via America but that isnt going to happen ,too many bombs heading for there!!!!!

Cal x

Guest daisydeeds

I sent off an email to iom just asking for information about discounted flights the other day but havent heard anything. Perhaps we should all wait and see it they contact us rather than us asking them. Hrmm

Daisydeeds

There are some flights with Quantas for like 410. if you look at austravel.com and also airline-network.com you might get a better deal but perhaps with a cheaper airline or/and a shorter time in Singapore or/and stops in America. Hope that helps. We too are looking at flights although we cant obviously book them till that magic pre grant letter comes in. argh

Guest spray21

I emailed IOM and they got back to me about 2 days later. But they did also send me an email that was clearly meant for someone else - maybe I got yours!! So it might be worth trying to get in touch again if you haven't heard anything after a few days.

Just in case any one is interested, I enquired about transporting animals (felt like a total b*tch asking if they could help take my dog on the cheap when they have pics of refugees etc on their website) and the answer was no! Not surprisingly really, but I thought it was worth a shot! They did, however, confirm that they can help get cheap flights for PEOPLE who are migrating.

I think I'll try them again then. We're taking our cat, got a quote of £1,330 which includes everything. It looks like a national company Pets on the Move, but has local agents, so the one we're using is only up the road. The woman has been great explaining everything

Ali

Guest Gollywobbler
thanks ,its the flights we are interested in ,i have crown coming to do the packing and shipping so all ok there,,just need some nice cheap flights ,i resent paying £600 for a 2yr old ,but what can you do ??? Gary e-mailed Quantas and Singapore who are both offering 40 kg on production of permant residency visa so it looks like they are the ones to be aiming for ,they offered more still if we go via America but that isnt going to happen ,too many bombs heading for there!!!!!

Cal x

Cal,

Who is quoting £600 for a 2 year old, when and where to? It sounds way too expensive to me. Singapore Airlines gave me £459 for an adult one-way on a fake date of November 5 2006 to Perth.

However, that will come down nearer the time. Last year, I made a tourist-application for Mum on 19th November. Because of her age other reasons it had to be a paper & post application.

Whilst waiting for her passport to come back, I set about investigating seat-availablity and prices for a return ticket London-Perth. The airlines were all doing 'Special Offers.' Cheap as chips rates for flights between 1-30 November, because that is a fallow month for the airlines on the UK to Oz route - after half-term but too early for Christmas.

Needless to say, the passport came back on 3rd December and Mum flew on December 11. The flight cost about £175 more than it would have done just a couple of weeks earlier.... Hey ho!

Post-Christmas, the prices plummet again from about 23 January onwards as well, by the way.

Cheers

Gill

Guest daisydeeds

I just got a quote in from them this morning. Very reasonable indeed. The airline they came up with was Quantas and there was a 40kg baggage allowance. Id just like to say thank you for this. I wouldnt have found out about this if it wasnt for good auld pomsinoz! Getting all sentimental now that we are approaching the end of our almost 16 months wait. ;-)

Daisydeeds.

hiya ,followed all your advice and recieved an e-mail back from IOM this morning ,they are quoting us 3558.00 usd for 2 adults, one 8yr & one 3yr old child,early November ,think ive converted it right and it comes to £1883.26 ,thats with Quantas ,a 40kg baggage and a short stop in singapore,,sorry thats Manchester to Brisbane ,,dosnt sound too bad will price up Singapore tonight with similar dates and see where we get ,does anyone know if the Quantas airlines as good as Singapore ???

thanks everyone for the advice

Cal x

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Cal

Qantas will get you there in one piece. BA bailed them out a few years ago when Qantas would otherwise have gone bust and they now prop each other up financially.

You wouldn't get the same degree of pampering that you would get with Singapore Airlines, and the seats might not be as comfortable etc, but if you are young, strong and fit (and especially if you are considering a stop-over en route) does any of this really matter that much?

As you say, price up Singapore Airlines for the same route and see whether IOM could save you enough money to lure you onto Qantas instead.

However, anyone contemplating a stop-over needs to be wary of the 40kg baggage allowance. I have heard of problems at Singapore Airport where people have had a stop-over and then when they have checked in for the onward flight to Oz, they have been charged excess baggage for this sector. I would recommend nailing the airline's feet to the floor about this in writing that can be produced at Singapore Airport in case you find yourself having to quell a rebellion from the local staff there.

Cheers

Gill

Guest daisydeeds

Yep. Quantas are as good as Singapore according to my rellies.

Our quote was for September/October adult 652USD and 465USD for child London to Sydney.

Malaysia Airlines are fine to go to Singapore but the Singapore to Oz flight is not so good - I had a friend go to Queensland recently with a baby on tow and she was most disappointed with Malaysian Airlines for the second leg - food aint that good either apparently.

I noticed that some of the budget like China Eastern and the like offer cheap flights but the flights are on Airbuses which I presume arent as good as big aeroplanes like Boeings.

Hope this helps.

Daisydeeds

OUR QUOTE WAS £1,800 from IOM, with Quantas,(january flight) having priced quantas this is pretty good for them, Singapore airlines is about £100 more and will give us extra baggage as long as it's a perm. res visa and we don't stop over. The added bonus is it's one stop, with Quantas you have to fly to london first and the time you land isn't as good as the one with Singapore, so will probably pay the extra and go with singapore.

Archived