Student Visa advice

dh06111

My wife and I are looking to move to Gold Coast as she is keen to study Early Years Education/Pre School Education with a view to gaining employment and sponsorship when she has completed her studies. She has been offered a place and we now have to apply for the Visas. We have looked at various areas to move to (the College is in Southport) and we are keen to hear from anyone who lives there and those who have made the move on a student visa. We will be looking to rent a 2 bedroom property but I can see some people have had issues in securing a property, is there anything we can bring form the UK to assist or any other advice?

Naturally, I am apprehensive about the move on a student visa so anything to help put me at ease is also welcome!

I came on a student visa. They have slowly been closing every pathway to pr after studying here. In a year or two I believe it will be impossible.

As it is it might already be. What course is she booked on? A degree or a diploma? If a diploma I'd give up now. A diploma isn't a high enough qualification for child care coordinator so can't be used for that job.

The last time I checked child care worker wasn't on the sol so there are no visa options at the end of the course letting you get work experience. To pass the skills assessment you need post qualification work experience. To get employer sponsorship it is changing (already has for the rsms) so that if you studied many courses in Australia that you need two years post experience. Even if your job is on the sol the longest visa you can currently get is only 18 months. Many people have been forced to leave at the end of the course.

I was extremely lucky to get to stay. They changed the rules when I was 20 hours of work off from applying! Then again when I had applied for my skills assessment but not got it back they changed the rules again. It took me three years after my course to get pr and I'm now tied to my employer for two years.

With the current rules a 457 visa might be possible at the end of the course, but as I said, they have already started changing the rules for other employer sponsored visas.

As someone who has done it, my advice 100% is don't do it.

The study to PR pathway is a minefield, while not insurmountable, very difficult. My understanding for early childhood education requires a full four year degree for skills assessment.

You can start studying at TAFE, then transfer credits to a higher education degree... but few choices in SE QLD compared with e.g. Melbourne.

Think the immigration/population growth alarmism has peaked, which may see some positive changes with newer government (play hard on refugees, but not anti immigration).

In future there will be strong demand for all teaching sectors as even more baby boomers will have retired.....

Archived