Work references for ACS Skills Assessment

cuberoot

I am a Software Engineer and I would like to apply for a skilled visa. I need to have my skills assessed by ACS.

I would like to contact my previous employers and bosses to provide the references, but I'm confused about one thing: Reference letters and where they should come from. I know I need a superior to provide a reference letter on letterheaded paper, but what if my bosses have changed jobs as well? I presume this must happen all the time?

i.e. I would like confirmation of 2 years experience at Company X where I worked for Bob for these 2 years. Bob now works at Company Y. Can Bob give me a reference on letter-headed paper from Company Y? Or must the reference letter and the work experience both be for Company X?

Any reference letter related to your employment at Company X, should be provided by someone of authority at Company X and on Company X letterhead. If Bob now works for Company Y, he shouldn't provide your reference letter. You should contact Company X and ask if they can provide your reference letter. Human Resources should be able to provide this to you.

I've read the ACS guidance again carefully, and it looks like you are correct Maggie. I'll have to figure out what I can do for some of the work done a few years ago. Maybe go for a Statutory declaration for one of the older jobs.

For one of my jobs, I was clever enough to request a work reference when I left. And it should meet the requirements, however, it is a few years old. Would this still be valid?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I've managed to get the reference letter from my previous employer. But I'm not able to get the reference letter from my current employer.

Now I'm planning to go ahead with an Affidavit written by my work colleague.

My question is, if ACS accepts an affidavit written by a work colleague who at the same level (in terms of designation) as myself, if it is supported by other documents such as pay slips etc.

Cheers,

Archived