Points on driving licence

Kooky

Firstly Happy new year to everyone!

Secondly - Anyone know how having points on your licence affects your chances of getting a visa. (I know you have to declare them but unsure how it affects decisions).

I am gutted - 22 years of driving with a squeeky clean licence and I have been caught speeding not once, not twice but three times in the space of 15 days!! EEEKK! I did the course so won't get points for the first one but I think will get 3 for each of the others (so 6 in total).

Anyone know how this will affect things? I have applied for my skills assessment and written my declarations (declaring no points at the time) but am not at the EOI stage yet.

Any words of wisdom?

...but you will need to slow down in Australia, otherwise you will lose your licence! Whilst in the UK the authorities generally operate to the ACPO guidance of 10% + 2mph (ie. in a 40 limit you won't get done until you are over 46mph), the tolerance in Aus is generally much tighter, reputedly no more than 3kph. Thus in a 60 limit (about equivalent to 40) you will get nicked at 63. You'll notice as a result in Aus that much more of the traffic sticks to the limit - rigidly. And on big, multi-lane, straight roads, that can feel, perceptually, awfully dull and very slow (it isn't, as you'll realise as a pedestrian standing next to a multi-lane highway with a 70 or 80 k limit, and the traffic is whipping past).

...but you will need to slow down in Australia, otherwise you will lose your licence!

And lose all your money. The fine for going between 1-10km/h over the speed limit in Victoria is $180 and for going between 10-25km/h over the limit is $289. Add between $70-100 for every additional 5km/h over the speed limit. And, yes, in Victoria they will fine you for 1km/h over the limit.

Ha ha I feel like a real criminal! I am not too worried about driving in Australia and having my licence took away or being fined - I really am pretty slow. I am the driver with a big line of traffic behind me cursing as they want to get passed and go at a faster pace! It sounds bad me getting 3 but it was on a stretch of road that goes from 30 - 50 up a hill and I think I was getting up my speed too quickly, there were mobile units, the second time I did the same (had no idea I'd got booked at this stage) and the third time I think I use hadn't worked out yet exactly where the road had changed (as I was driving - I thought - really carefully to work out where I went wrong!).

My my husband thinks it is hilarious as I never speed and have never had points. I cried when when I got the third! i just can't believe it. Traffic behind me now are really frustrated - I am now driving 2,ph less than limit and never speed up to next speed limit until I have PASSED the sign ha ha.

They wont affect your visa application, so dont worry there but they may be transferred to your Aussie driving licence if they haven't expired by the time you get one.

Cal x

does anyone know if this is right? :confused:

Archived