Tax Question

emj1986

Hi,

I recently accepted a job in Australia. All Visas have gone through and we are preparing to move out in the next few months.

As part of my contract they gave me a $10k signing bonus as we are not shipping any of our personal items.

If I get this $10,000 transferred to my account is it TAX FREE if we say its for relocation or will I be Liable to pay TAX.

Any documentation would be extremely helpful I tried to search for it but couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

I think it comes under fringe benefits.

Thanks for any help and advice it is very much appreciated.

EMJ

Hi,

I recently accepted a job in Australia. All Visas have gone through and we are preparing to move out in the next few months.

As part of my contract they gave me a $10k signing bonus as we are not shipping any of our personal items.

If I get this $10,000 transferred to my account is it TAX FREE if we say its for relocation or will I be Liable to pay TAX.

Any documentation would be extremely helpful I tried to search for it but couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

I think it comes under fringe benefits.

Thanks for any help and advice it is very much appreciated.

EMJ

You might want to check with an accountant (or the ATO website) about where the liability for FBT resides.

Signing bonuses are generally paid to you via payroll and treated as part of your normal income. In the month you receive it you will most likely get stung for a heap of tax, which you can get most back after you have done your tax return after July. Being paid cash isn't a fringe benefit.

Could it pay for furnished accommodation for a few weeks until you get settled and give you time to look for more permanent accommodation ? That would add up to a fair bit.

I fear this is likely to no longer be FBT effective following the abolition of the Living Away From Home Allowance for the majority of 457 visaholders.

Best regards.

Archived