AITSL issue - can anyone help??

Guest james huddersfield

Guest james huddersfield

I'm in the process of applying to AITSL. I have a 3 year degree in Business and a PGCE in Business Education. One issue I have is that the teaching age parameter's on my transcripts say 14-19 but on the AITSL website the guidelines state the teaching ages must be from 13-18 in an Australian secondary school. I currently teach Business studies at GCSE and A level and some ICT to Key Stage 3 in a UK secondary school. Has anybody experienced similar problems in their application and what was the outcome?

Please help .I'm stressing :wacko:

Wow, that is an interesting problem. I always assumed PGCE's in secondary education covered 11-16 (KS3 and KS4). The only definitive answer that you can get is straight from the horses mouth.

They are back in the office on 6th January, allow them 10 working days to reply but you should get your answer. They are clear i the parameters they desire. However, they should take into consideration that your subject PGCE still covers different key stages of the child's learning.

Just to note, I am also a Business Studies teacher (A-Level and GCSE) - Good luck with it all and keep us posted on the feedback you get from AITSL

That's tricky . . . .don't know the answer unfortunately and can only speculate. My transcript is 11-19, but mine is history and is therefore a requirement at KS3. I guess business studies is an 'option' subject and therefore begins at KS4.

You have a PGCE which is important. They are very keen on Professional Studies and always want to see the number of hours committed to that part of the training. I read on PIO that someone got delayed for lack of depth in this area. More experience the better. Another thing that would help is to place it on the letter confirming your employment. I had all the roles and responsibilities on mine. You could place KS3 (11-14) teaching on there.

Sorry I can't be of more help with definitive answers. I would imagine this has been encountered before and keep digging through the forum to see if you can find it.

Best of luck!!!

I'm in the process of applying to AITSL. I have a 3 year degree in Business and a PGCE in Business Education. One issue I have is that the teaching age parameter's on my transcripts say 14-19 but on the AITSL website the guidelines state the teaching ages must be from 13-18 in an Australian secondary school. I currently teach Business studies at GCSE and A level and some ICT to Key Stage 3 in a UK secondary school. Has anybody experienced similar problems in their application and what was the outcome?

Please help .I'm stressing :wacko:

From what you have posted, it looks as if you might have the cart before the horse.

It might pay you to have a look at ANZSCO 242211, or perhaps not.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I have been looking at the application this morning and I have been qualified for 3 years now...when submitting your qualifications does it have to be a full transcript from the university or can you just submit your actual degree certificate? If not then do I have to then spek to the university to get this detailed transcript as I dont think I have this?? I sat the PGDE..Thanks x

You need to send of the PGCE certificate as well as the PGCE transcript. It is important that the transcript shows the split between the 'curriculum studies' and the 'professional studies' They may be called something else on your transcript, but essential it is the university side of the training. This is why the PGCE is more valuable than then the GTP I did read a post on PIO where the transcript did not specify the different elements and it slowed the process down for that particular applicant. Heads up :)

Phone your university academic registry and request a copy. Mine cost £10. Not too bad and I had it within 10 days.

No not yet...I need to get my birth certificate as I only have an abbreviated version and when I receive my transcript through I'll get it all done at once...I have a friend who's sister in law is a lawyer and she can sign my docs for a bottle of wine...hoping it is all done within the nxt 2 weeks and I can then get my app in to AITSL

Luckily I was in a similar position. But!! Get two copies of everything done!!!! Apparently I now need to send similar paperwork for AITSL to the state registration in QLD. Gotta take it all back to my mate. Get them to do each one a couple of times. Two bottles of wine.

LOL......thats great advice..will do just incase I need it for WA.....Thanks again!

You will need to register with the WA Teacher Registration board and send all the paperwork again.

Each state has different requirements, especially NSW, in the units that have been studied in a degree.

Just a heads up - school heads can do document certifying! I got my head to do mine for all the AITSL application. I did on my own with no agent Helynn McCallum - it really isn't that bad as long as you read the advice the Oz government give and this forum - it's brill!

If you have any questions, just message me if you want :)

teacherben

Thanks for advice guys....i knew I would need extra documents for WA but TeacherBen thats great news!! I did read that but wasn't sure if I could do this....will defo keep you in mind for future advice etc.....so excited that things are moving forward now.....will be really thorough when doing paperwork!

Archived