Breaking a 1 year lease - what are the options?

Manc84

Hi all

I have just arrived in Sydney on my partner's 457 visa. She arrived in September and signed up to a 1 year lease in an expensive box of an apartment in the centre of Sydney.

We are prepared to stay until September 2014 but would like to move into the southern suburbs sooner rather than later.

We have looked into the possibility of sub-letting to someone else but are aware of risks...

Has anyone got any experience in breaking a lease?

Thanks,

Mike

Speak with the agent to get it re advertised (you will probably have to pay advertising costs) if you move out before the end of your lease you are expected to pay rent until a new tenant is found, so you could try advertising it too on here or Gumtree etc but direct enquiries to the agent.

Cal x

Speak with the agent to get it re advertised (you will probably have to pay advertising costs) if you move out before the end of your lease you are expected to pay rent until a new tenant is found, so you could try advertising it too on here or Gumtree etc but direct enquiries to the agent.

Cal x

Thanks for the advice. We will give it a go.

We broke our lease 2 months into it (it was a 6 month lease). I told the agent I was happy to do the viewings, which helped. The agents were quite lazy, as they knew that if a replacement could not be found, we were liable for the rent until the end of the contract. By doing viewings myself we were able to get new tenants who were able to move in 2 days after we moved out, meaning we were only liable for 2 extra days rent.

We also had to pay for the end of lease inspection, $99 for advertising and (i can't remember how much) to the Water Corporation for doing an extra meter reading.