Here they come.

Guest Guest 47403

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Immigrants don't set the minimum wage though Andy the government do, I can't make a connection between immigrants and the minimum wage sorry plus there was no surge in unemployment when the Polish immigrants first started coming, don't a lot of immigrants end up taking the low paid jobs a lot of the local population won't do?

I'm not really for or against EU immigration fairly indifferent to it tbh it's part of being an EU member state.

I don't necessary believe there are jobs that the home population won't do. There are jobs they can't afford to do big difference. Polish started coming into UK mostly London in the early 80s. Although illegal they were tolerated and worked in various lower end jobs. Then wages back home were like GBP 7 a month, so everything was well paid.

Not quite the same scenario to the more recent arrivals I'd expect. Poor is poor in either country and costs in UK today make it much harder to get ahead than in past times, I'd imagine.

Seeing the people living in sheds in people's gardens guess there will be more of this. We have cut welfare as well to new arrivals and although its popular are we right in doing so, do we not suffer as a nation by having people living on the streets, in cars, sheds, on river banks because they will still come.

Saw a story about a Kiwi couple living in a car in Brisbane and someone has lent them their house. They had fallen on hard times he lost his job they are not eligible for new start, however they say they will not return to NZ something will turn up. Is this inhuman not to help them, I don't know. As I said before there is no answer and sometimes we have to pay more for our countries to be the kind of place we want to live in.

I really don't think that is the case! Your initial response speaks volumes.

Well sorry but you're picking up stuff from my posts that are'nt even there!Ok so when the polish community started moving to the UK a few years back,alot of people went into panic mode.Why?Is'nt it the same this time around with the Romanians and Bulgarians?I have no issue at all with these people.

Did'nt everyone say that about the polish community?Yeah a few came over?Did'nt affect me in the slightest!Am I worried?No!How come you're not in Oz Baz?

I think you will find that it was many more than a "few" and as you say it did not affect you, but what about the people it does affect?

Guest Guest 47403
I don't necessary believe there are jobs that the home population won't do. There are jobs they can't afford to do big difference. Polish started coming into UK mostly London in the early 80s. Although illegal they were tolerated and worked in various lower end jobs. Then wages back home were like GBP 7 a month, so everything was well paid.

Not quite the same scenario to the more recent arrivals I'd expect. Poor is poor in either country and costs in UK today make it much harder to get ahead than in past times, I'd imagine.

I disagree if we suddenly deported 1m poles and raised the minimum wage by £2 I don't think we'd see a 1m drop in unemployment.

Bit mixed on this if i'm honest

I have no problem with legal migration hell it would be a bit, calling the kettle black (sorry lower index tone must be pc correct)

However its when those that migrate don't integrate and try and force there way of life on everyone and play the card "in our county" well your not in YOUR country anymore...... deal with it adapt or go home. its that simple.

I disagree if we suddenly deported 1m poles and raised the minimum wage by £2 I don't think we'd see a 1m drop in unemployment.

Why not, i think you would see a substantial drop in unemployment if that were the case, obviously not 1m but a substantial amount.

Guest Guest 47403
Bit mixed on this if i'm honest

I have no problem with legal migration hell it would be a bit, calling the kettle black (sorry lower index tone must be pc correct)

However its when those that migrate don't integrate and try and force there way of life on everyone and play the card "in our county" well your not in YOUR country anymore...... deal with it adapt or go home. its that simple.

I understand what your hinting at with the 'don't integrate and try and force there way of life on everyone' but that isn't the case with Eastern Europeans is it?

Guest Guest 47403
Why not, i think you would see a substantial drop in unemployment if that were the case, obviously not 1m but a substantial amount.

Well I guess it's unfortunate then that we can't just deport people as they have just as much right to live in the UK as you and I, and it will remain so as long as we are part of the EU.

I suppose it depends a lot on what line of work you are in whether it affects you or not and maybe private or public sector. The open door for Polish and Romanians had a quite a bad effect on my business in the building trade, very difficult to compete with folk that often work for cash thus avoiding tax, nic and vat......also many I knew lived in a house with 10 or more other people, making living costs far less.

Not blaming them though, most I met were very hard working and decent lads just looking for a better life.

Well I guess it's unfortunate then that we can't just deport people as they have just as much right to live in the UK as you and I, and it will remain so as long as we are part of the EU.

Yes but that does not mean you have to agree with it

So anyway baz, would immigration to Britain over the last few years had any influence over your personal decision to move abroad?

Guest Guest16631

.....it seems as if too many are coming at once.....

......Britain has had a fairly good record for integration......

......but it's a little like mixing colours to me......

......a massive amount of blue..........coming to a yellow Britain.....

......and instead of a nice British green.......

.......we're in danger of a nasty mud colour.....as the blue swamps the yellow....

.......or the two remaining separate........creating two camps within one place.....

........never a good thing.......

........so perhaps a better control......

........but then again........when did those in charge ever exercise control when needed......

........and the sad thing is......yet again.....

.........those who are only seeking a better life.....

.........will be ostracised and disliked.........

..........just because.......too many at once ........are wanting to come.......

Guest Guest 47403
Yes but that does not mean you have to agree with it

So anyway baz, would immigration to Britain over the last few years had any influence over your personal decision to move abroad?

No ones saying you have to agree with it that's a good thing about living in the UK everyone has a voice to air there opinions.

My reasons for wanting to emigrate really have no relevance to the discussion here Andy.

Guest Guest66881
So how will more mass immigration to the uk help your family?

I replied yes to three questions maybe you need to read before you shoot i mean reply:wink:

Archived