London draining life out of rest of country.

Guest Guest 47403

Guest Guest 47403
http://www.51m.co.uk/hs2-will-be-more-london-gravy-train-than-locomotive-of-regional-growth/

I prefer the idea in here of updating the existing freight lines to a European gauge

Good article makes absolute sense at a fraction of the cost of HS2 and reduces road usage, less wear from lorries means less cost of maintenance in the long run, better links for Scotland loads of benefits country wide.

Makes total sense to have a number of smaller projects as opposed to one £40 billion one.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good article makes absolute sense at a fraction of the cost of HS2 and reduces road usage, less wear from lorries means less cost of maintenance in the long run, better links for Scotland loads of benefits country wide.

Makes total sense to have a number of smaller projects as opposed to one £40 billion one.

Thats how it looks to me mate,would free up a lot of inside lanes on the motorway if trains were carrying trailers,and only 14 miles of new track needed,no expert of course,but it seems a better idea to me anyway

Guest Guest 47403
Thats how it looks to me mate,would free up a lot of inside lanes on the motorway if trains were carrying trailers,and only 14 miles of new track needed,no expert of course,but it seems a better idea to me anyway

Like you say no expert but the benefits are seem to be countrywide, not just for london.

Just landed in the North and outs got tarmac, Wi-Fi, Central heating and all sorts of stuff.. Funny light switches though.. It's pissing down with rain but still looks lovely.... It's like emerdale farm.. Can't get that hovis tune out of my head though..

Just landed in the North and outs got tarmac, Wi-Fi, Central heating and all sorts of stuff.. Funny light switches though.. It's pissing down with rain but still looks lovely.... It's like emerdale farm.. Can't get that hovis tune out of my head though..

ve6upe4u.jpg

Where did you end up staying,Keswick?

Lol,wtf,never seen switches like that up there ever,i reckon they're just stick on ones to kid the southerners!

wouldn't surprise me, TBH is stunning up here (even in the rain) its almost too stunning, l keep wanting to see if its all made of fibreglass like in a theme park.

Cornwall was an eye opener and so is this in a different way.. hark at me , i've only been here an hour!!

SAM_0023.jpg

SAM_0019.jpg

SAM_0022.jpg

SAM_0019.jpg

SAM_0022.jpg

SAM_0023.jpg

Of course it a valid argument why isn't it? because it's not your point of view? The reference to Norwich and Bristol was again valid HS2 will undoubtedly have an adverse affect on them, they are just 2 examples.

As for what could be done I'm not sure I'm not an infrastructure planner but considering the fairly low density of population in Norfolk how about a new big airport in the Norwich area creating new jobs and taking the strain off Heathrow? Also seriously improve the the road/rail link from there to London and Birmingham.

I really cannot see anybody wanting to fly to Norfolk, if you had a business meeting in say Birmingham, Manchester or London you are not going to fly to Norfolk.

wouldn't surprise me, TBH is stunning up here (even in the rain) its almost too stunning, l keep wanting to see if its all made of fibreglass like in a theme park.

Cornwall was an eye opener and so is this in a different way.. hark at me , i've only been here an hour!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22333[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22334[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22335[/ATTACH]

Ive seen that cottage i think!"proper" old place,looks aces!,love Ambleside,nice little stream running next to this place we stayed in,when i was we!just a studio this tho,there was only us two,lovely tho

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM9QZX_Old_Wash_House_Studio_Ambleside

Ive seen that cottage i think!"proper" old place,looks aces!,love Ambleside,nice little stream running next to this place we stayed in,when i was we!just a studio this tho,there was only us two,lovely tho

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM9QZX_Old_Wash_House_Studio_Ambleside

Looks lovely, i'll look out for it when i go exploring tomorrow. Tired out now.. heavy sesh last night and a long drive.. I'll have a couple of bottles of old rosie and lomox on the soafa tonight then a mooch about tomorrow.

I dont see what the problem is.....HS2 is opening links to the rest of the country so if you want to work in London and share in the wealth.....you can.....simples......There have been plenty of negative posts/threads about London over the years.....most from people that either dont live in the country or live a considerable distance away. We have had the bitching about the London Olympics leading up to the games, the general stuff about the state of the place, immigrants, drugs and this little classic about gridlocked London http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/uk-news-chat/192118-gridlocked-london.html It certainly has its fair share of critics.

"you cant get a bus" "the transport system is full to busting" "cars are crashing because they are taking risks" "its desperate" "whats it going to be like when another 2 million turn up on Londons doorstep"

I am very happy with where I live, with London, with the transport system, with the job and work opportunities etc etc.....If I was'nt I would do something more constructive about it rather than complain to an internet chatroom.

Guest Guest 47403
I dont see what the problem is.....HS2 is opening links to the rest of the country so if you want to work in London and share in the wealth.....you can.....simples......There have been plenty of negative posts/threads about London over the years.....most from people that either dont live in the country or live a considerable distance away. We have had the bitching about the London Olympics leading up to the games, the general stuff about the state of the place, immigrants, drugs and this little classic about gridlocked London http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/uk-news-chat/192118-gridlocked-london.html It certainly has its fair share of critics.

"you cant get a bus" "the transport system is full to busting" "cars are crashing because they are taking risks" "its desperate" "whats it going to be like when another 2 million turn up on Londons doorstep"

I am very happy with where I live, with London, with the transport system, with the job and work opportunities etc etc.....If I was'nt I would do something more constructive about it rather than complain to an internet chatroom.

Sorry it's not constructive enough for you, but forums by there very nature are where things are discussed you have the option of not getting involved if you don't feel the discussion is valid, thanks for coming though.

Sorry it's not constructive enough for you, but forums by there very nature are where things are discussed you have the option of not getting involved if you don't feel the discussion is valid, thanks for coming though.

Yes and the PIO action comity can lobby parliament.. You are a funny one bazza.:D

Hardly any negative threads about London from what ive seen,you've found one tho,fair enuf,well done.

You cant work in London if you're from Leeds,Mcster wherever,not as a daily commute anyway

The "bitching" as you put it,was more about funding taken away from other charitable causes and channelled towards the Olympics,675 million i think?

Funny seeing someone who has plenty to say about the north having a pop at people having an opinion about the south/London,as they dont live there,seeing as you've never set foot in the north youself,yet have plenty to say on it

Ive lived and worked in London for maybe 2 years and over,i like the place fwiw,wouldn't want to live there tho,but each to their own

I think the OP was more about "not" having all the wealth going to London,not sharing in Londons wealth

Guest Guest 47403
Hardly any negative threads about London from what ive seen,you've found one tho,fair enuf,well done.

You cant work in London if you're from Leeds,Mcster wherever,not as a daily commute anyway

The "bitching" as you put it,was more about funding taken away from other charitable causes and channelled towards the Olympics,675 million i think?

Funny seeing someone who has plenty to say about the north having a pop at people having an opinion about the south/London,as they dont live there,seeing as you've never set foot in the north youself,yet have plenty to say on it

Ive lived and worked in London for maybe 2 years and over,i like the place fwiw,wouldn't want to live there tho,but each to their own

I think the OP was more about "not" having all the wealth going to London,not sharing in Londons wealth

I wouldn't imagine he is really that bothered about the content of the thread more who has posted on it or commented on it tbh, seems to be a trait.

Guest Guest26110

I work in London, I work in property. London certainly seems to be on a roll. But most of the wealth pouring in from my experience seems to be foreign investment. But of course never forget London is a city of two halves, those with and those without!

I work in London, I work in property. London certainly seems to be on a roll. But most of the wealth pouring in from my experience seems to be foreign investment. But of course never forget London is a city of two halves, those with and those without!

London has benefited hugely from the Olympics......Last summers report put the new trade and investment figure at 9.9 billion for the UK with the games costing 8.9 billion.....estimates are that by 2020 the games could have benfited the UK by 40 billion.....thats a lot money that will help create a lot of jobs.

Archived