Opening bank acc when moving back to the uk

Veeworth

Yorkshire/Clydesdale Bank. Look it up online. It can be done from Australia quite easily.

Barclays too, but they want a minimum £5000 deposit, which is annoying, because some folks don't have that amount. They have as much right as others to open a bank account.

Yorkshire. They were very nice.

Guest Guest 47403

Most banks will credit check you before opening an account, but there must be a way around it as all those European immigrants coming each month manage it.

'ere tis:

(I copied; I won't know if it's a live link until posting).

http://www.cbonline.co.uk/private/offshore-migrant-banking/migrant-banking-private/apply-for-a-uk-bank-account/

It shows Clydesdale Bank which I believe is now only Scotland??? Go through the fields and it shows their partner Yorkshire Bank (who are all owned by NAB Australia). Don't bother going into NAB for this, it has to be done online.

YB are OK, Clydesdale have been interesting.....

I couldn't show up any one bank with a glowing reputation btw!!

NB: Be mindful of the fact that any funds you put into a UK bank from Australia, cannot be accessed until on UK soil.

Edited by Peccavi
Update.

We tried Santander but having no credit history as we have been away 9 years they wouldn't accept us. We are currently using our offshore HSBC account but don't think that will help with credit history. Have been told we won't get a rental property unless we pay upfront as we have no credit history. Also struggling to get a decent price on car insurance as no-one will accept our overseas NCD. Wouldn't mind so much but at our age and having just bought a 1.4l Desiel not exactly a high risk!

Finding it it all a bit daft really especially as we have never had 'credit' our whole life! I will try some other banks I the new year and see how it goes.

Guest Guest 47403
We tried Santander but having no credit history as we have been away 9 years they wouldn't accept us. We are currently using our offshore HSBC account but don't think that will help with credit history. Have been told we won't get a rental property unless we pay upfront as we have no credit history. Also struggling to get a decent price on car insurance as no-one will accept our overseas NCD. Wouldn't mind so much but at our age and having just bought a 1.4l Desiel not exactly a high risk!

Finding it it all a bit daft really especially as we have never had 'credit' our whole life! I will try some other banks I the new year and see how it goes.

Try Tesco for car insurance, I went from a company car to taking a car allowance a couple of years ago and they accepted a letter from the company car insurers as proof of my claim history although they wouldn't give me full NCB and I had to settle for 3yrs which I've now built up to full NCB, might be worth a shot.

Guest guest41161

On the flip side, I returned after 9 years. Walked into Barclays and came away with current and savings accounts. No issues at all.

Car insurance, we went through Aviva for car and home, happy to honour both overseas no claims, and have never asked to see proof of this.

Rented 2 properties in the past year. One private, one through agency. No problems with securing these, and both were happy with our rental references from OZ.

Also on top, both my wife and I got phone contracts with 3, with no credit history here in UK.

Edited by guest41161

Guest Guest 47403

Try Tesco for car insurance, I went from a company car to taking a car allowance a couple of years ago and they accepted a letter from the company car insurers as proof of my claim history although they wouldn't give me full NCB and I had to settle for 3yrs which I've now built up to full NCB, might be worth a shot.

Think nothing of it your welcome!

• 3 weeks later...

I guess the main issue is they credit check you before opening an account. How about this account from Barclays if you have trouble with normal current accounts:

http://www.barclays.co.uk/Otheraccounts/Cashcardaccounts/CashCardAccount/P1242557963900

Its not a current account but it does everything the same as a current account (Just not cheque book and overdraft). You get a visa debit card and online banking etc all the same. Only thing is I think you need to apply in person (but they allow people with no credit to obtain this account).

Barclays also have this page about opening an account whilst international: https://wealth.barclays.com/en_gb/home/international-banking/who-we-help/resident-non-doms/moving-to-the-uk.html

Also Llyods seem to do an account for people moving to the UK: http://www.lloydsbank.com/banking-with-us/joining-lloyds/new-to-the-uk.asp

Hope that helps a little