Borneo, here we come!

Diane

So for what is probably going to be our last holiday as a family, we've decided to go to Borneo to see Orangutans, Proboscis Monkeys and hopefully dive/snorkel with a few turtles.

I've had some fantastic info and recommendations from someone on Poms in Adelaide, but thought I'd pick a few brains over here too... anyone been? We're going for two weeks in April.

Share your knowledge and experiences please :biggrin: I adore holidays - am so excited already!!

Thanks - I'm usually a total control freak when it comes to holidays - like to plan, plan, plan and plan some more - but as the kids are pretty much adults now, I'm going to try to let go a little more this trip and treat it as more of a 'take it as it comes' trip! I've never been backpacking even, although back in the day had some pretty casual holidays in the Greek Islands...

I've booked flights into and out of Kota Kinabalu a fortnight apart, and a few nights at a cheapish central place there to start with and I'm hoping that we can chat to the locals and other tourists to find the best places to go, best things to do etc. Never been anywhere in Malaysia before, so no idea what to expect. Are things generally cheap? Do you haggle for stuff? Is it the sort of place where you can persuade a local boat owner to take you places for the day, or is that leaving yourself open to being ripped off/kidnapped/murdered?! Are there lots of local tour companies that you can go into and book stuff on the spur of the moment? I'd far rather catch a local bus somewhere than be on a big airconditioned coach...

I'm excited and terrified all at the same time!

Thanks - I'm usually a total control freak when it comes to holidays - like to plan, plan, plan and plan some more - but as the kids are pretty much adults now, I'm going to try to let go a little more this trip and treat it as more of a 'take it as it comes' trip! I've never been backpacking even, although back in the day had some pretty casual holidays in the Greek Islands...

I've booked flights into and out of Kota Kinabalu a fortnight apart, and a few nights at a cheapish central place there to start with and I'm hoping that we can chat to the locals and other tourists to find the best places to go, best things to do etc. Never been anywhere in Malaysia before, so no idea what to expect. Are things generally cheap? Do you haggle for stuff? Is it the sort of place where you can persuade a local boat owner to take you places for the day, or is that leaving yourself open to being ripped off/kidnapped/murdered?! Are there lots of local tour companies that you can go into and book stuff on the spur of the moment? I'd far rather catch a local bus somewhere than be on a big airconditioned coach...

I'm excited and terrified all at the same time!

Malaysia is a great country have lived and passed a few holidays there. Have no fear about violence. There is petty crime like bag snatches but really little to worry about.

Malaysia is high up in fact of the countries I've thought about to retire in. Some of the friendliest folk you'll find anywhere. A great place to do your own thing independently and with ease.

Sabah has a world famous Orangutan Park where these animals are cared for. Well worth a visit. It used to be run by a German woman, no idea if she's still there but worth a visit. Mt Kinabalu for those that like a bit of climbing. Not for me I'm afraid but many do it and say it is not too difficult. A big attraction is staying in the longhouses with the Sea Dayak and minority tribes.

Malaysia is a modern country, fast on the way to developed status so not as cheap as surrounding countries, but far cheaper than OZ. Indeed you can book tours at the spur of the moment at hotels or backpacker hostels or take local bus or coaches or taxis throughout.

Sarawak is the other Malaysian state on Borneo nice also. While Kallimintan is the biggest bit belonging to Indonesia, never been but hope to. Far poorer Much jungle and more basic travel.

Anyway once you folk get a taste for independent travel, I'm sure you'll be back for more. A great part of the world to commence your journey with ease. Have fun and enjoy. Yes you can barter at markets etc Oh and great food as well.

Hi Diane. We had a 10-day holiday in Borneo as a 'stopover' when we emigrated from UK to Australia just over a year ago. We'd been backpacking around Asia when we were younger (pre-kids) and wanted a stopover in Asia, but somewhere we hadn't been before. Malaysian Borneo was a great choice for us, we had a fantastic 10 days and it really chilled us out after all the stress of leaving the UK. We had a fairly relaxing time and only did a few smaller day trips, but loved what we saw. If you only have 2 weeks to play with, I personally wouldn't try and over-complicate things as you might spend most of your 2 weeks travelling in buses. I would suggest doing one week in one place and one week in another and arrange side trips from either 'base'. There is a wide scope of accommodation types available from backpacker to 5-star luxury and all hostels/hotels will sell organised trips to the various local sites. We spent half our time near to the city of Kota Kinabalu at a good resort hotel (Pacific Sutera) which we booked quite cheaply through an internet travel agent and that meant we could easily get into town when we wanted to (for cheaper meals), but gave us the option of beach (artificial) and various pools on site. The hotel overlooks the islands of the Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park and had it's own marina from where the boats left for the day trips to the coral islands for pretty decent diving/snorkelling. For the second week we moved up the coast a few kms to Karambunai and stayed at the Nexus Resort (in a 2 bedroom apartment on the hotel complex). The hotel has a golf course (if that floats your boat) and a really nice section of sandy (natural) beach. The Nexus is a star lower but a whole load cheaper than the very plush Hotel Shangri La Rasa Ria (on the opposite side of a lagoon from the Nexus). The Shangri La is famous for having an orangutan sanctuary within the hotel grounds, although everyone has to pay to enter - even Shangri La guests. This is a 'must see' place to go, and fantastic to see the rehabilitated young orangutans in native forests. Our kids absolutely loved it, truly memorable. We didn't do much more than that in our 10 days, but I want to go back for longer and next time will plan a trip to Mount Kinabalu National Park and perhaps travel to the East coast for more wildlife. Hope you have a great holiday.

• 1 month later...

Quick update: The itinerary is now: Kota Kinabalu for four nights (hopefully white water rafting, island snorkelling, Rasa Ria Orangutans), then across to Mabul for diving for a few nights, then up to Kinabatangan and Jungle Lodge for a few nights, then up to Sandakan and Turtle (Selingan) Island/Sepilok/new Sunbear sanctuary, then back to Kota Kinabalu.

Only slight fly in the ointment is the Foreign Office warning to "reconsider your need to travel" with regards to Mabul and Selingan Islands... so if I don't post again in May, please send in the search party!

Guest Guest16631

......how lovely........

.......lived in sandakan 40 years ago......

.......just when the sepilok sanctuary started out.....

.......a beautiful place as is KK.....and KL.....

.......I expect it's much changed now.......!

Hi I lived in Brunei for 9 years and went lots to Saba. Ok now 11 years ago but always loved Kota Kinabalu, ate often at the open air market. Stayed somewhere on Tunku Abdul island in chalets on the water linked by boardwalks, that was one of the best things I have done. Didn't have to pay to see the Orang u tangs at the Rasa Ria then. Not sure about the Nexus hotel, seem to remember a bit isolated and not much to do.The hot springs I think near Mt Kinabalu were interesting. Lots of friends and family climbed the mountain, but I didn't. Well worth going to Sandakan, if the orang u tang sanctuary is still there definitely go there. Try to do a trip which includes the night on the river, and you might even see orang u tangs in the wild, and you should see the probiscus monkeys. Take a good water proof with you, it can pour with rain when you are on the river!!! Went several time to turtle island, loved it and hope you can get there, it's truly a fabulous experience. There were armed guards there even when we went.

Obviously it is very hot and humid and boy can it rain, check if you need any jabs and malaria tablets, take lots of suntan cream and insect repellent. We did have jabs but didn't take mal pills, but when you live somewhere rather than visiting for a few weeks, you have to way up the pros and cons.

Have a great time, you have made me feel quite home sick for Borneo.

Guest Guest16631
H Tink, thought we would both be commenting on this thread!!!

........loved the place......lol....

.......very happy childhood memories......

........running wild.......!

.........ended up sent away to school but did attend the local primary for a while.....

..........would love to return if just to visit old haunts....

..........sandakan markets and the kampongs.....

...........if there still there of course.....!

Hey Diane, you are planning to dive around Mabul and Sipadan?

Its really really average... really... :wink:

Anyway heres some happy snappy shots from my compact when I visited in 2011

Pm me for more details, been there twice

IMG_6147 (3-1).jpg

IMG_5662 (1-5).jpg

IMG_6095 (1-3).jpg

IMG_5977 (1-2).jpg

IMG_5662 (1-5).jpg

IMG_6147 (3-1).jpg

IMG_6095 (1-3).jpg

IMG_5977 (1-2).jpg

Wow, wow, wow Gee13, what fantastic pictures! I'm the only one in the family without a PADI licence, so they'll be diving, I'll be snorkelling. Not sure if we'll be there long enough to get a Sipadan licence for them, will have to play it by ear I guess. We have booked 7 dives each for them. That gorgeous photo of the turtle you have put up is making me very emotional I must say, stunning. Thanks so much for sharing them.

Guest The Pom Queen
Wow, wow, wow Gee13, what fantastic pictures! I'm the only one in the family without a PADI licence, so they'll be diving, I'll be snorkelling. Not sure if we'll be there long enough to get a Sipadan licence for them, will have to play it by ear I guess. We have booked 7 dives each for them. That gorgeous photo of the turtle you have put up is making me very emotional I must say, stunning. Thanks so much for sharing them.

Get up here you can have your Padi open water license in 3 days

As PQ says...Get your license beforehand and dive with the family!

The diving around Mabul/Kapalai and Sipadan is quite easy actually.. not a lot of currents but yes you need permits to dive Sipadan as they limit to 140 divers per day for conservation porpuses. They also allow you to snorkel with a permit at Sipadan. Mabul has tiny critters, Sipadan has hundreds of turtles, tons of (harmless) reef sharks, thousands of Barracudas, schooling Bumphead parrotfish, Schooling Jacks... Colourful Corals. April is good season too for visibility.

Just a thought Diane. You might like to read

"Land Below the Wind" by Agnes Keith before you go, if it's available, and you can visit her house in Sandakan.

Funnily enough, my OH brought it home from work on Friday: he's borrowed it from a work colleague, so I shall be reading it before we go!

Thanks also Melza - I have got the Lonely Planet guide and also a great book from the library called "Wild Sabah" with some awesome photos in it. The encroachment of the palm oil plantations is quite devastating.

• 3 months later...

Hi all

Well we got back from our trip on Monday morning - I have just finished writing up a JBR (Just back report) on Tripadvisor if anyone fancies a read (http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g298306-i9428-Sabah.html) - absolutely amazing place, but so sad that apparently at current rates, all the jungle will have gone by 2020 :-( So many palm oil plantations, and so much history and diversity being lost...

If you get a chance, go soon!

Diane

Hi all

Well we got back from our trip on Monday morning - I have just finished writing up a JBR (Just back report) on Tripadvisor if anyone fancies a read (http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g298306-i9428-Sabah.html) - absolutely amazing place, but so sad that apparently at current rates, all the jungle will have gone by 2020 :-( So many palm oil plantations, and so much history and diversity being lost...

If you get a chance, go soon!

Diane

Sounds you had a good time in an interesting place. Read your report.I used to love Malaysia spending a considerable amount of time there. Never been to Sabah or Sarawak states though. Illegal logging has been going on for decades. When I lived over there a Swiss guy supported the local population in the jungle using subversive tactics in defying authorities in disrupting loggers for months. It was quite a story.

Diane have read your report now. Sounds a wonderful trip made me quite homesick, and reminded me of some of the wonderful experiences I had when living in Brunei and visiting Saba and Sarawak. Swimming in jungle pools, visiting the mulu caves seeing orang u tangs in the wild. Going out on our boat to deserted islands, snorkeling and lighting a BBQ with driftwood.

better shut up now before I turn into a when we!!!! But they were good days.

Archived