Andy Murray sports personally of the year?

simmo

Guest Guest 47403
how does winning sports personality end up turning into another independence talk

Not sure seems to have gone off on a bit of a tangent this one!

He was democratically voted, although more people actually watched "Celebrity Pointless" the day before than SPOTY. In "personality" it is about the achievements of a sportsman! So good on him, and when he draped the union flag around himself at the Olympics the Scottish National Party must have been seething. As for SPOTY, I'm still smarting over Ryan Giggs beating Jenson Button in 2009 and Speedway World Champion Tai Woofinden who should at least have been nominated this year, and on account of that I let Kirsty watch X-Factor (!!)

I am with you on this one, it does make me laugh we all moan every wimbledon when the brits get knocked out early doors and go on about 70 years where we have not won it, then Murray comes along and dismantles one of the greatest players of all time in the final after winning the US open and then people whinge because he has got no personality! Unbelievable, the bloke is arguably the best in the world at a sport which has got to be one of the toughest to get to the top, in my opinion he fully deserves all the credit he gets and shame on those who continually have a pop at him.

That's all fair comment and they could have given him sportsman of the year award or something, but to put personality and Andy Murray in the same sentence is tough.

That's all fair comment and they could have given him sportsman of the year award or something, but to put personality and Andy Murray in the same sentence is tough.

I think if you look at the history of the competition you will find that it has been the most successful sportsman of that year that has won the award not the sportsman with the best personality so perhaps the title is a little misleading.

Archived