Help us find somewhere to go for Christmas Dinner (or whatever you do here :-) )

LadyCroft

Since we have just arrived in time for Christmas and we have now moved into our long term rental, we have realised that we are feeling a bit lonely in the run up to Christmas but are struggling with the "getting yourselves out there" because of work, kids and all the organising of getting the new house sorted out with all the boring stuff.

We don't know the Aussie traditions or what you all get up to on Christmas Day so are trying to find somewhere to book Christmas lunch/dinner.

Any ideas? We are in Clyde North so open to suggestions on what to do.

My friends have gone to the zoo most years and their children are adults now but they still do it. They have really enjoyed it but said that a lot of others are doing likewise these days.

Also a lot of people go to the beach if its a nice day, not everyone stays at home for the roast dinner. Some of the pubs put on Christmas Lunch but you need to book. Boxing Day everything is open and the sales start so shopping is the go for lots of people.

Sometimes people arrange meet ups here in Melbourne for Christmas Day and everyone who is without friends and family find that a good thing to do. Start one yourselves and see if there are any takers.

Sometimes people arrange meet ups here in Melbourne for Christmas Day and everyone who is without friends and family find that a good thing to do. Start one yourselves and see if there are any takers.

A group of people we know who met on a forum just like this one and all emigrated over 5 years ago still have Christmas dinner together every year. Great idea!

BB

I like that idea. Might be the way to go if I can get the other half to agree to it!

There must be other people who have just arrived in the area who are feeling a bit far away just now with the run up to Christmas. Everyone back in the UK has kind of forgotten about us just now since they are so busy with presents and relatives all coming over to stay with them for Christmas and New Year so it is making it even worse with the homesickness that has suddenly set in now we have done all the essential stuff.

Thanks.

If you have dinner at home, talk yourselves out of brussels sprouts and parsnips - really out of season here at Christmas and therefore hugely expensive. Try to make some new traditions for your family rather than just trying to reproduce everything you did at home. I come from Melbourne and had never been to the beach on Christmas Day in my life until my English husband came to live here and assumed that's what we all did. So for several years we had the big family traditional Christmas but went by ourselves to the beach in the evening. That was our new tradition - and very refreshing after a big roast dinner on a warm day. Ask your children what they would like to do - or get them to plan the day.

• 3 weeks later...
I like that idea. Might be the way to go if I can get the other half to agree to it!

There must be other people who have just arrived in the area who are feeling a bit far away just now with the run up to Christmas. Everyone back in the UK has kind of forgotten about us just now since they are so busy with presents and relatives all coming over to stay with them for Christmas and New Year so it is making it even worse with the homesickness that has suddenly set in now we have done all the essential stuff.

Thanks.

I was very taken with your post as we found ourselves in the same situation last Christmas. The onus always seemed to be on us to make contact with people back home and we did feel a bit forgotten about. This year I'm back in blighty and, if it makes you feel any better, I really miss the Aussie Christmas we had. This year we ran around with the masses buying presents in the cold and wet, got stuck in traffic for hours seeing family - who didn't like the gifts- fought our way through deadlock in the supermarket and have been bombarded by marketing for post Christmas sales. We have a fridge full of food we thought we missed while in oz but it's sitting uneaten. All in all we were lonely in oz (Brisbane) but are now planning our move to Melbourne. We are just going to have to try and get 'out there' and make friends as despite all the friends and family we have in the uk we still spent New Years alone.

Nerak123,I'm assuming no one forced you to run around with the masses in the cold and wet,getting stuck in traffic for hours,fighting your way through deadlock in the supermarket,and being bombarded by post Xmas sales.Ever considered online shopping for both presents and groceries to avoid the cold,wet and masses?Turning the tv off over Xmas?Not buying gifts for those rude people who must of told you they did'nt like the presents you brought them?We all have choices,if you don't make them,there is no point in whinging about it!Just for the record,I did my Xmas shopping for presents online back in September when Debenhams had their 1/2 price sale.Also did the Xmas grocery shop online,so actually when I walked into town,I really enjoyed just the atmosphere of Xmas without the stress of spending hours pondering over what to buy people!lol I usually miss my folks back in Oz especially over Xmas,but you know what?They all had a massive arguement on Xmas day and I was so glad I was 10,000 miles away!:laugh:

Nerak123,I'm assuming no one forced you to run around with the masses in the cold and wet,getting stuck in traffic for hours,fighting your way through deadlock in the supermarket,and being bombarded by post Xmas sales.Ever considered online shopping for both presents and groceries to avoid the cold,wet and masses?Turning the tv off over Xmas?Not buying gifts for those rude people who must of told you they did'nt like the presents you brought them?We all have choices,if you don't make them,there is no point in whinging about it!Just for the record,I did my Xmas shopping for presents online back in September when Debenhams had their 1/2 price sale.Also did the Xmas grocery shop online,so actually when I walked into town,I really enjoyed just the atmosphere of Xmas without the stress of spending hours pondering over what to buy people!lol I usually miss my folks back in Oz especially over Xmas,but you know what?They all had a massive arguement on Xmas day and I was so glad I was 10,000 miles away!:laugh:

Well bully for you.

Archived