Adelaide-Perth advice please

Mart86

Hi everyone me and my partner were in Perth for 4 years and wanted to apply for state sponsorship there but her skills has been removed and the only place offering now is SA. We would rather be there than in the uk even tho all her family are in Perth. We lived in a place near Joondalup called tapping and would like to now where is similar in Adelaide to live I.e new area with shopping centre and all amenities. If any one could help who has been/ lived both places any info would be appreciated, with regards to work/live. Thanks in advance mart

I don't know Joondalup, but what sort of job does your wife do? If you need somewhere within easy reach of city, as well as beaches (probaably 15 mins away) and like new places, have a look at Mawson Lakes. That has good transport links, a nice shopping centre with a few cafes and bars, nice developments and walking/cycling paths etc round the lakes. Some people are put off because, being new, the properties tend to be on smaller lots, but if you like modern, it might tick your boxes.

• 4 weeks later...

Christie Beach is a lovely area, all you need in one area, supermarkets, cafes, cinema, leisure pool etc, transport links, right on the beach. We loved it when we stayed there for our reccie, maybe a little quiet but depends on the person I guess. It isn't all 'new' and sparkly though, but lovely place, there are shopping malls etc also and other small malls nearby too.

Edited by jodipodi

we are aiming for christies beach / port noarlunga area , however didnt visit mawson lakes but wish i had, it sounds nice

Toodolu Christies is a lovely place, everything on your doorstep, lovely parks, couple of shopping centres, beautiful shoreline/beach/promenade...really beautiful place, cafes, restaurants allsorts. Not the most modern upmarket swanky place but me personally I don't need that, it could do with a bit updating but in the grand scheme of things it's just cosmetic...It is quite a distance from the CBD but there are transport links nearby so if you don't mind a 45mins to an hours drive or say half an hour on the train you'll be good to go xx

Edited by jodipodi

Toodolu Christies is a lovely place, everything on your doorstep, lovely parks, couple of shopping centres, beautiful shoreline/beach/promenade...really beautiful place, cafes, restaurants allsorts. Not the most modern upmarket swanky place but me personally I don't need that, it could do with a bit updating but in the grand scheme of things it's just cosmetic...It is quite a distance from the CBD but there are transport links nearby so if you don't mind a 45mins to an hours drive or say half an hour on the train you'll be good to go xx

Thanks for insight . Where we live in Somerset at the moment is not far to the sea (muddy brown thou) and not a lot going on in the town although has 30,000 residents!! the nearest big city to us is Bristol or Exeter about 45 mins drive ( on good day) from where we live. The facilities you have at Christies sounds great to me . I'm a nurse and am worried about commuting too far after shift work , however living near to a beach is a must for us. I couldn't live right in a city either .... So I can't wait to visit

Edited by Toodolou

Thanks for insight . Where we live in Somerset at the moment is not far to the sea (muddy brown thou) and not a lot going on in the town although has 30,000 residents!! the nearest big city to us is Bristol or Exeter about 45 mins drive ( on good day) from where we live. The facilities you have at Christies sounds great to me . I'm a nurse and am worried about commuting too far after shift work , however living near to a beach is a must for us. I couldn't live right in a city either .... So I can't wait to visit

Hi Toodolou, we don't live in Oz, still stuck in miserable Tyne and Wear sadly...we did a reccie to Adelaide in 2012 and just loved it, it really is serene. We planned our reccie on the basis that we would live as you would if we were actually living there, obviously apart from jobs and school that is, but we rented a house, rented a car, had to wash clothes, do the shopping, sit in and entertain the kids when it rained, sat in of a night and watched Ozzyz TV as you would normally in the UK, had a mooch about the surrounding areas etc, it wasn't a 'holiday' more of a real 'test it out' thing, we also didn't have loads of spending money either as 1# we just didn't have it but 2# it made us do the real things you might have to do if you lived there on a budget y'know?..like packed lunch picnics, taking your pack of sausages down the park to cook on the free gas Bbqs they provide...just little things like that... we didn't want to go with a holiday mindset of eating out all the time, in the pool 24/7 etc etc. We stayed there for a month, loved it. I did miss the close proximity of just simple things like being able to pop round my mams for a cuppa but for the kids it's a winner. I too, like yourself can't be too far from the beach cos that's where my heart is wherever I am, it's part of my childhood being around a coastline and I'm sure you will love it. There are other suburbs which aren't too far from the beach also, but I expeat the property prices go up the nearer to the CBD you are. I'm sure there's a hospital or health centre near Christies/Noarlunga......possible employment opportunities there maybe?...and there was a Dr's surgery right on the main Beach Rd too...Xx

Edited by jodipodi