Do UK children integrate well both inside and outside of school

Adieuk

Hi all,

We're due to arrive in Melbourne in early February. My husband has a job lined up in the Bayside area and we will be looking for housing within catchment for good primary and high school for our children who are aged 10 and 12.

We have heard worrying stories of bullying problems within public schools. After having had a bad episode of this in the UK, we are very cautious about choices of school from both academic and anti-bullying perspectives. Has anyone experienced these problems or are our fears misplaced ?, where should we aim for and where should we avoid?.

Is there anything available for $380000-$400000 in a good area ?, we appreciate on this budget we do appreciate that we will not be able to buy too close to the city. Just want a peaceful suburb with potential to find friends !

I can only speak for my children and those that I know, but they haven't had a problem integrating. Bullying can occur in any school - public or private so if it's a worry for you then when looking around schools ask about any policies they have regarding bullying.

My children were 7 and 11 when we moved to Perth, we had a 3 month rental already organised so had some dialogue with the school of our choice, they were great in setting up someone in the class my daughter would go into (with the girls parents permission) and they corresponded by email, was introduced to some class mates on FB and had someone to welcome her that first day. My son - got 2 buddies on his first day and they're remained great mates throughout primary into High School.

My daughters friend had a problem with a group of girls in her friendship group (subsequently joined my daughters group), her mum tells me that the school took her concerns seriously and sorted them out pretty swiftly.

We've lived in Australia for 7 years and have lived in Melbourne,Perth and now on the Sunshine Coast. My sons are 9 and 12, they went to catholic primary schools and now a state school, never had an issue, they've been happy in each, luckily. We lived near the Dandenongs on the east side of Melbourne, very beautiful area.

Children are children the whole world over. Those who are friendly and join in will be accepted and will make friends - those who don't, won't. Encourage your kids to join in with activities they enjoy, get them into after school sports and other activities etc and encourage them to invite new friends to join your family on outings etc.

They certainly won't stand out because they are from the UK so if you are worrying about that - don't.

Bullying is not a specific school problem its a personal problem and we are lucky if we are in a class at school where there is not one or more children who want to take control. I would wait till you are settled here and then have a look at sites for children like Kidspot and Essential Baby, they have forums where you can meet other parents in the area and find out more information.

For the budget you have and working Bayside you would need to look at areas like Frankston, Frankston South, Langwarrin, Carrum Downs, Langwarrin. If one of you is reliant on public transport to get to work then Frankston would be the area to look as its on the train line. As you go closer into the CBD prices rise. I saw an article in an investment section the other day saying that Frankston and Seaford were very good for investment as they are next to the beach, reasonably cheap at the present time but this will not always be the case.

South Frankston is the nicest but once again prices rise substantially to live in this area due to zoning for Frankston High School and the views of the Bay.

If you have not already done so join up with the Life in Victoria forum most of the members are already here and they can help enormously with the move and contacts etc once you are here.

Good luck

Sincerely, thank you guys

Your postings have helped enormously to put our minds at rest. It wasn't a preconceived idea that there would be a problem with the children, just a family recently returned with some alarming stories.

Will sign up to the Life In Victoria forum, I'm sure they'll be other questions we need to ask !

Archived