Advice on what to do after getting citizenship, is there anything else that has to be done?

Glenat

Me and my hubby are planning on moving back to the UK next year, for number of reasons.

We are currently permanent residents but we are considering getting citizenship incase we ever want to move back here (although not likely!).

Just wondering if we get our citizenship do we have to do anything else before we leave the country? i.e. do we have to get Australian passports? and what kind of time frame are we looking at?

and also is there a set period where you can't move back, i.e. once your citizenship is granted you must remain in Australia for X months?

Thanks for your time

Yes after you take the Oath of Allegiance to Australia, where you promise to be loyal to Australia for ever.

Before you immediately get on the plane never to return again you will need to get Australian passports.

As soon as you become citizens your previous visas are cancelled and you need to get Australian passports to exit the country,

• 2 weeks later...

You should definitely get the citizenship and passports. You just never know what the future holds; you might want to retire to Australia in however many decades that might be. Once you have it they can't take it away. Passports come through pretty quickly (just a couple of weeks IIRC), but cost a bomb!

My partner and I did the same thing: waited out our residency period, did the Citizenship Ceremony, and were on a plane back to Blighty a few weeks later. But we got the passports, because once you have them in your hand there can be no question of them not being granted. 6 years later we returned to Australia and we just walked in the door, so to speak.

The only other thing I can think of is to try to avoid getting on the Electrol Role. They have people outside the Citizenship Ceremony waiting to pounce on New Australians and get them signed up. If you sign up you'll have to get "unsigned" again when you leave, which appears to be rather tricky.

You should definitely get the citizenship and passports. You just never know what the future holds; you might want to retire to Australia in however many decades that might be. Once you have it they can't take it away. Passports come through pretty quickly (just a couple of weeks IIRC), but cost a bomb!

My partner and I did the same thing: waited out our residency period, did the Citizenship Ceremony, and were on a plane back to Blighty a few weeks later. But we got the passports, because once you have them in your hand there can be no question of them not being granted. 6 years later we returned to Australia and we just walked in the door, so to speak.

The only other thing I can think of is to try to avoid getting on the Electrol Role. They have people outside the Citizenship Ceremony waiting to pounce on New Australians and get them signed up. If you sign up you'll have to get "unsigned" again when you leave, which appears to be rather tricky.

yeah, they can actually.

yeah, they can actually.

Citizenship can only be revoked if you obtained it fraudulently.

Say if you failed to disclose serious criminal convictions, or applied using false documentation or something like that.

In the normal course of events where you have followed the correct process with full disclosure you can't lose your citizenship, or be deported.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks guys. we applied for citizenship and take the test on the 16th jan.

just wondering how long does it take after this to get granted citizenship (presuming we pass the test)???

i want to hand my notice in at work and have to give a months notice. just hoping to leave asap as hubby is sick and cannot work (hence one reason we need to get back to uk for more support!) thanks again!

just wondering how long does it take after this to get granted citizenship (presuming we pass the test)???

i want to hand my notice in at work and have to give a months notice. just hoping to leave asap as hubby is sick and cannot work (hence one reason we need to get back to uk for more support!) thanks again!

We will become eligible next year and I am thinking it will take six months for the overall process.

Depends when your local council organises the citizenship ceremony. You can ask Immigration Dept., when they will be holding their next one -might be sooner than the Council's.

Me and my hubby are planning on moving back to the UK next year, for number of reasons.

We are currently permanent residents but we are considering getting citizenship incase we ever want to move back here (although not likely!).

Just wondering if we get our citizenship do we have to do anything else before we leave the country? i.e. do we have to get Australian passports? and what kind of time frame are we looking at?

and also is there a set period where you can't move back, i.e. once your citizenship is granted you must remain in Australia for X months?

Thanks for your time

Why bother if the chance of you returning is 'not likely'

Why bother if the chance of you returning is 'not likely'

because my daughter is Australian, and if she ever wants to move out here when she is older it will be easier if we are also citizens so we can be with her if we decide to.

We will become eligible next year and I am thinking it will take six months for the overall process.

my friends took 3 months and that was with a big delay due to everyone leaving who worked at their local council. i was hoping for sooner! :)

I passed the citizenship test a couple of weeks ago and the official form they give you says;

"You will now join a waiting list for a ceremony with your local council. Please do not approach your council regarding your ceremony unless you are in a regional area. Our office will invite you to the next available ceremony; most people will attend a ceremony within 3 - 6 months from the date their application is approved"

Archived