Well I'm going for it...

LewiGoingDownUnder

Hi I'm Lewis, 25 from Newcastle Upon Tyne.

After thinking about this for about the last 5 years I've finally decided to go for it and get the ball rolling to get going to Oz with my girlfriend.

I'm currently an electrician and paid my first $600 to get my skills assessed. I know this is going to be one hell of a long process but fingers crossed it will be worth it.

Thought I'd sign up with 'pomsinoz' as I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions as the months go by, including housing, shipping, pets, jobs etc!

Its a very exciting prospect as well as a bit nerve racking, but I believe if I'm going to do it now is probably the best time.

Looking forward to chatting to a few of you. icon7.png

Thanks in advance,

Lewis.

After thinking about this for about the last 5 years I've finally decided to go for it and get the ball rolling to get going to Oz with my girlfriend.

I'm currently an electrician and paid my first $600 to get my skills assessed. I know this is going to be one hell of a long process but fingers crossed it will be worth it.

Thought I'd sign up with 'pomsinoz' as I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions as the months go by, including housing, shipping, pets, jobs etc!

Its a very exciting prospect as well as a bit nerve racking, but I believe if I'm going to do it now is probably the best time.

Thanks in advance,

Lewis.

How exciting, good luck! Have you been to Australia before?

How exciting, good luck! Have you been to Australia before?

Honestly? No! Sounds stupid I know but I was in the middle of booking a holiday there for next December. Flying to Melbourne, touring the east coast and flying back from Brisbane. We estimated the price would come to £7k once spending money was taken in to account.

So me and my O/H decided that we would use that money and just go for it. The money that we would have used will put myself through my skills assessment, and then apply and pay for the skilled visa.

The plan is to head out there, where I have to pass more exams to get my Unrestricted electrical License. We're both young, and don't have any kids, and I plan to rent my house in England until I become comfortable and settle in Oz. The whole plan is easier said than done I realise, but I think it's worth a shot.

Spoke to a few of my ex-colleagues working out there and they say nothing but good things.

Definitely worth a shot. Lots of people move to different countries having never been there before. You're not tied to anywhere forever. My OH and I have two little ones and couldn't afford to move there right now but will definitely consider it in the future. Though he wants to go to America more!!

Great that you have made a firm decision, the hardest part is going to be getting the visa in the first place but once you get through that you will be laughing.

Having the luxury of youth why not try going on a working holiday visa first for a year or so to see how great it is before taking the plunge?

Good luck with everything :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks in advance,

Lewis.

You are at a similar stage to us in the process then. Kirsty's skill assessment went off last week. I have been a regular traveller 'down under' since I first went there backpacking in 1999 (on what was a bit of a forerunner to the WHV). Kirsty first went there in 2008, we visited New Zealand in early 2012 and then went to Adelaide/South Australia on what was our official recce a few weeks ago, as that is our chosen destination (largely because Kirsty's job is on the SSOL... and its very nice there!)

A recce trip, or just a first trip is an absolute must, so good to see that you are planning to, as has been discussed on many threads before, too many take the plunge without having been, or looked at specific areas and what they think and so on.

Good luck with it all !

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck, you won't regret it. We moved out here to Canberra 4 year ago. Much better than Luton I can tell you! Most Poms go to Sydney, Melbourne, Perth or Brisbane. Having been to all of them I can recommend Canberra or Perth. Sydney is overcrowded and expensive. Melbourne has dismal weather. Canberra is Australia's best kept secret. Perth is another good option..

Good luck mate, its a big decision but if your looking for an improvement in general quality of life and more opportunities you wont be disappointed. With the greatest respect to CGERALDH's comment regarding the weather in Melbourne being miserable........I live in Melbourne.............I come from Cumbria............it's tropical here ;-)

ps You can but Newcastle Brown in Dan Murphys too!

Archived