Round-the -world airline ticket?

Maruska

Hi,

we will be moving to Australia next year from the US, planning to go in May. We want to visit family in Europe on the way and I`ve read that some airlines sell RTW tickets that might be cheaper than booking separate flights. We need to go Houston - Prague ( or Vienna) and Prague/Vienna - Australia ( don`t have a job yet so unsure where in Australia). Initially we wanted to go Prague - Beirut as well to visit husband`s family but for safety reasons we won`t.

Anyone did a long stopover ( about 6 weeks) and than continued to their destination?

I am aware that RTW ticket would need to end up in US but it might still be cheaper even if we don`t use it? Any experience/advice?

Almost all airlines sell RTW tickets. Normally you can stay several months at one place befor you have to leave. Alternatively try a stopover in Vienna instead of buying a higher priced RTW ticket. Give the Star Alliance a try (flying Singapore, United or Austrian from the US - changing to Austrian and Singapore to Oz)!

Yes you can do this.

Sometimes it is cheaper than buying a direct ticket.

You can buy round the world ticket and only take it to Australia and miss out the last bit of going back to America. No problems.

Don't forget that flying around the USA is really cheap but will add to the cost of your round the world ticket considerably. So fly around America on your own tickets and then work out where you want to depart the States and buy your ticket from there. But ask your local travel agent first as your in America and it may well be different for you.

We did a RTW ticket for our reccie, UK - Japan - Singapore - Australia - NZ - US - UK

We did the trip in 5 weeks, although a popular use is for a gap year no reason why you can't do that. In your case an additional benefit is you are left with a flight back to the UK to use within 12 months - maybe a bit soon for a visit though?

There are a number of different RTW tickets, it's a bit of a minefield as they all have different rules but US-Europe-Australia should be covered by most and it would just be a case of finding the cheapest (or preferred Airlines)

Almost all airlines sell RTW tickets. Normally you can stay several months at one place befor you have to leave. Alternatively try a stopover in Vienna instead of buying a higher priced RTW ticket. Give the Star Alliance a try (flying Singapore, United or Austrian from the US - changing to Austrian and Singapore to Oz)!

So I could get a ticket US - AUS with a stopover in Vienna and the stopover could be several weeks long? I didn`t know that was possible, will look into it. Appreciate the advice.

Archived