PR over 50

debbie lawrence

Hi does anyone know if there are any PR visa's that you can apply for when you have already reach the grand old age of 50, we're here in Adelaide on a 457 (been here nearly a year), husbands skill is on all the lists. The original job offer came out of the blue and after having no work in the UK we upped and came out here so hadn't done done any research but just wondered if there are any avenues open to us, or if anyone has any experience of this ?

Thanks for any information

Debbie

Hi does anyone know if there are any PR visa's that you can apply for when you have already reach the grand old age of 50, we're here in Adelaide on a 457 (been here nearly a year), husbands skill is on all the lists. The original job offer came out of the blue and after having no work in the UK we upped and came out here so hadn't done done any research but just wondered if there are any avenues open to us, or if anyone has any experience of this ?

Debbie

Hi Debbie,

There are some age exemptions in the ENS or RSMS visas depending on the occupation or salary, but very few people meet the requirements. Other than that you'd probably have to look at one of the business visas. Options are severely limited for over 50's I'm afraid.

All the best,

Hello Debbie.

Once aged over 50, permanent residency might be possible under subclass 186 (Employer Nomination Scheme) or 187 (the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme) after your husband has been working in Australia as the holder of a 457 visa for at least 4 years.

Have a look at the Temporary Residence Transition stream requirements for each of these subclasses:

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/186.aspx

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/187.aspx

(click on Visa Applicants, and Who could get this visa)

Best regards.

Debbie

If he spends four years on the 457 and earns more than the high income threshold level each year, and the employer is willing and able, then he could apply for an employer sponsored permanent visa

Hi Alan, thanks i have checked out these options but can't find anything about the 4 years just working the 2 years, we were thinking of trying to get another 457 after the 4 years as both these visa's say about applying before 50 :( and as far as i was aware the 457 doesn't have an age restriction.

Hi Debbie.

From the link I posted above:

Even if you are older than 50 years of age, you can still apply for this visa if you:

are applying through the Temporary Residence Transition stream, and you have been working for your nominating employer as the holder of a Subclass 457 visa for at least four years immediately before applying, and that employer paid you at least as much as the Fair Work High Income Threshold in each of the four years

Best regards.

To be honest, if you are over 50 and from Britain, permanent residence could be a mixed blessing even if you were able to get it. You would need to have a pretty hefty pension built up in the UK to make retirement in Australia attractive as the Australian super schemes need serious years before they accumulate enough to live on. Living in Australia and then having to move back to the UK in retirement or eking out an existence on the state pension in Australia would not be my choice.

To be honest, if you are over 50 and from Britain, permanent residence could be a mixed blessing even if you were able to get it. You would need to have a pretty hefty pension built up in the UK to make retirement in Australia attractive as the Australian super schemes need serious years before they accumulate enough to live on. Living in Australia and then having to move back to the UK in retirement or eking out an existence on the state pension in Australia would not be my choice.

Hmmm ... not sure about that.

A UK pension that is transferred into Aussie super may well be significantly more attractive on an after tax basis than if the pension is left in the UK.

And as a permanent visaholder there would be no visa related necessity to depart Australia.

Or am I missing something?

Best regards.

Hmmm ... not sure about that.

A UK pension that is transferred into Aussie super may well be significantly more attractive on an after tax basis than if the pension is left in the UK.

And as a permanent visaholder there would be no visa related necessity to depart Australia.

Or am I missing something?

Best regards.

I don't think tax advantages would compensate for the different cost of living. The reason for potentially needing to leave post-retirement is if you discover you don't have adequate funds to live on. A small amount of pension would go much further in Britain than in Australia.

Archived