186 or 187

norah9

we are in australia on a 457 visa and once my husband gets his medical registration in march we can apply for pr. we have a choice of 186 or 187. Can anyone advise on the pros /cons as we are not sure which one to go for. Is the regional one quicker to get and does it mean we have to stay working in a regional area? my husband will be 50 in dec 2014 so we need to get pr asap. also we will have a son going to uni in 2015 so not wanting to be charges international school fees. Thanks

we are in australia on a 457 visa and once my husband gets his medical registration in march we can apply for pr. we have a choice of 186 or 187. Can anyone advise on the pros /cons as we are not sure which one to go for. Is the regional one quicker to get and does it mean we have to stay working in a regional area? my husband will be 50 in dec 2014 so we need to get pr asap. also we will have a son going to uni in 2015 so not wanting to be charges international school fees. Thanks

If you have a choice get the 186, less hoops to jump through.

I am a bit puzzled by your question about whether you have to stay in the regional area? If this is where your employer is then wouldn't you be planning to do that anyway?

Rupert, my husband is currently working in a remote area and not exactly loving it!!!!! There is an option for him to work in the perth brach with same employer. but we had thought it would be easier to get a 187, can anyone tell me in what way it is easier to get a 186. i am giving up on reading and phoning diac for information. head is wrecked,

hi, Im wondering what restrictions are with a 187 that are not with 186. are these restrictions ones that make it harder to get pr??? TIA

Why are you fixated with the 187? Nobody would ever pick a 187 if they could have a 186. The 187 would not be easier, quite the opposite, the 186 would be easier to get and if you leave within two years the visa is not at risk. Having said that getting the 186 visa and leaving the job you were sponsored for straight away is not a strategy I would recommend, could be considered fraudulent.

So it sounds like you are actually planning to move and therefore change jobs, therefore you should not go through the transition stream, has your OH passed a skills assessment or could he?

Archived