Child visa

TGW1221

Can anyone help with this scenario?

We came out to Oz in August as me and my husbands permanent residency visas expired in September. Our two year old son's visa is still in process and we've been told it will be issued in December. Our problem is, that we are expected to take him out of the country for 3 days before Feb 8th 2014 to validate his visa. The expense is becoming ridiclous. On top of just extending his tourist visa to the tune of $335. I will have to take him to maybe New Zealand (or wherever is cheapest) on my own and pay for flights, hotels and a return residency visa for myself, another $335.

We did ask for advice on this before we applied for his visa in the Uk and we were told the best option was to apply off shore?

Has anyone else come across this problem recently and is there away around it? If there isn't, we seriously have to weigh up our options of staying here.

Thanks peeps

If you had applied onshore, the visa would have cost more than $1,200 more and you would have had a longer wait. It probably comes out pretty close in terms of overall cost. No there is no way around this, if you want that visa you will need to go offshore.

You would be well advised to get a RRV anyway, unless you plan to stay in the country and never leave until you get citizenship. I personally would advise everyone should keep a valid reentry visa though, because you never know when you may have to leave due to an emergency back home and organising it then is something most people could do without.

At the end of the day, you made your choices about when to move and when to apply for the child visa (applying earlier whilst offshore and getting it before you move would have been the cheapest option). Good planning is sometimes required to do things in the most economical way.

Hey TGW

Feeling your pain! We moved out here in August, our littlest one was on a visitor visa. We got the email to say my little boys child visa was ready to be granted so basically 'get out of Australia so we can grant it'! I also asked the question if there was any way around having to leave the country but no such luck! It was worth a try!!!!!!! We flew out to NZ 3 weeks later for a 4 day jollie! As annoying as it was.....we had a lovely time! We were lucky got friendly (through PIO) with another family (you know who you are!!) in the same situation as ourselves. By sheer luck, they got 'their' email the week before us. So we both went over to NZ together with little ones in tow leaving hubbies at home with the other kids!!!!!! I think it cost us about $750 in total for flights, two bedroom apartment and of course spending money on top.....cher-ching!

Not cheap but done and dusted now and glad we are all permanent residents, even my littlest man!!!! Small price to pay to live in this amazing place...

Good luck x

We came out to Oz in August as me and my husbands permanent residency visas expired in September. Our two year old son's visa is still in process and we've been told it will be issued in December. Our problem is, that we are expected to take him out of the country for 3 days before Feb 8th 2014 to validate his visa. The expense is becoming ridiclous. On top of just extending his tourist visa to the tune of $335. I will have to take him to maybe New Zealand (or wherever is cheapest) on my own and pay for flights, hotels and a return residency visa for myself, another $335.

We did ask for advice on this before we applied for his visa in the Uk and we were told the best option was to apply off shore?

Has anyone else come across this problem recently and is there away around it? If there isn't, we seriously have to weigh up our options of staying here.

Thanks peeps

Thanks peeps

Are you serious? It will cost you a hell of a lot more to go back home! Even just for one flight! You had 2 years to get a visa for your son and you would not have had to go to NZ and get an RRV.

Thank you Team Edwards for your supportive response. (Unlike the other two)

As usual certain persons assume they know all about your background and circumstances. I just wanted a simple answer. Good luck to you in Aussie land and thanks again! TGW

Goodness me, how unbelievably rude are you? You flatter yourself if you think anyone is even interested is your circumstances never mind "assume they know all about" them. Get over yourself.

When I answer a post I answer not just for the person asking but for other people who might search in the future. And anyone in this situation would be wise to plan ahead to avoid unnecessary costs. It is worth pointing out that you went about things in the wrong way and by doing so caused yourself unnecessary expense and others can avoid that.

Goodness me, how unbelievably rude are you? You flatter yourself if you think anyone is even interested is your circumstances never mind "assume they know all about" them. Get over yourself.

When I answer a post I answer not just for the person asking but for other people who might search in the future. And anyone in this situation would be wise to plan ahead to avoid unnecessary costs. It is worth pointing out that you went about things in the wrong way and by doing so caused yourself unnecessary expense and others can avoid that.

Well said lovely.

TGW, you have written 15 posts. Rupert has written almost 7000. A few manners wouldn't go a miss. Sometimes people answer a question and the op does not like the answer. That is not the fault of the person replying.

Thanks peeps

When you post on here asking questions and giving some background, then you will generally get replies of two sorts:- 1, is hopefully a useful/helpful answer and 2, telling you where you went wrong. Both 1 and 2 provide information not just for you but for others so hopefully they do not make the same mistakes as others and then armed with the better/correct information can make an informed decision.

I can only really offer advice in that Jetstar had some really cheap deals for New Zealand from mid January do not know if still available, but keep checking all the airlines or better still sign up for their news letters by email for their specials, Jetstar does have a Friday Frenzy on fares usually comes through late evening.

As others have tried to advise it is always best to keep things up to date and useable, I know we all some times look at the costs for doing so but if you break it down to how much it is say per week then it becomes very little, the cost, when left to the last minute, on your mental health and the possibility of losing work time usually is dearer.

Good luck

Archived