Advice regarding ex partner and estranged children when applying for pernamency

Annielamb

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice please!

My husband and I are living in Oz on a 457 visa. We are preparing to apply for a permanent visa. This application is asking for information (passport numbers, places of birth, DOB) on my husbands 16 year old son, his 22 year old step daughter and for his ex wife. It is also requesting that my husbands son undergo medicals.

My husband is estranged from his son and has no contact with him, step daughter or ex wife. There is no way my husbands ex would give any of this required information.

Im not not sure how we can progress with this. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Annie

Then you have a problem. DIAC needs this information because if your husband's son decided or needed to live with your husband once he has an Australian visa, DIAC would effectively be bounced into giving him a visa regardless of any health problems or criminal past. Not suggesting this would apply in your case, but if DIAC didn't check potential dependents then people who have difficult children could cheat the system and bypass the normal checks by putting the child in the care of another relative until after the visa grant and then take the child back into their own care.

It would be worth asking your husband's ex-wife to cooperate. It is hardly in her son's best interests to have a father who will always see him as the obstacle to a life in Australia.

Failing that, you could just wait the two years until the son turns 18 and it is no longer an issue.

Archived