Finally arriving on the Sunshine coast!!

charl2

Hi all, we (4 of us) have recently arrived on the sunshine coast 10 weeks ago! its been such a roller coaster getting here and we cannot beleive we are actually here - in this amazing/beautiful place.

we arrived in manchester airport on the 9th september with 12 cases and 4 backpacks. tickets. money and thats about it! we didnt have jobs or a long term rental just a few weeks in a holiday home!

my husband found a job pretty quick full time - he is a spark!

my son who is almost 15 is settling into school really well he is thriving compared to the UK!!

my little girl is 3 and starts kindy next week - she loves all the parks and beaches (who wouldnt)?

and I am going to look for part time work after christmas once the children are settled..

we do miss family but not the UK at all!!

now the things that shocked us:----- the price of groceries (OMG) and the price of cars - they hold their value a lot!! but things like electrical items such as toasters toastie makers, slow cooker, food processers etc are really cheap!!!

other than that we researched rent and jobs etc before arriving so was not a shock!!

so if anyone needs help or advise i would be happy to help if i can!!

charl

Hey charl

For groceries, you'll find that the prices will vary based on location by a few cents (rather than the retailer) so it may be worth having a look around when you're out and about, taking some notes on things you normally buy and seeing whether there's any variation (in the same retailer but their store up the road). For example where I live, the Coles down the road is more expensive than the Coles in the next major town (goods have to travel less distance from the distribution centres/warehouses).

The Sunny coast is great - I've not been in ages.

I assume you mean by the cheap appliances that you've been buying in kmart? ;) I remember the $9 kettles and toasters... They probably still work! But we don't have them anymore. But I was impressed by (even though they did feel cheap) the way that they worked very well and didn't even begin to fall apart! Not so good is the kmart cheap cutlery though. :( The handles fall off when you do the dishes. ;)

hi Luke - yeah i mean k mart - lol. yeah some of the stuff is cheap but ok for when you first arrive isnt it...

the coles i find is ok and cheaper than aldi in maroochy anyway! im used to the prices and having to shop around for stuff now it just shocked me when i first arrived.... haha.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all, we (4 of us) have recently arrived on the sunshine coast 10 weeks ago! its been such a roller coaster getting here and we cannot beleive we are actually here - in this amazing/beautiful place.

we arrived in manchester airport on the 9th september with 12 cases and 4 backpacks. tickets. money and thats about it! we didnt have jobs or a long term rental just a few weeks in a holiday home!

my husband found a job pretty quick full time - he is a spark!

my son who is almost 15 is settling into school really well he is thriving compared to the UK!!

my little girl is 3 and starts kindy next week - she loves all the parks and beaches (who wouldnt)?

and I am going to look for part time work after christmas once the children are settled..

we do miss family but not the UK at all!!

now the things that shocked us:----- the price of groceries (OMG) and the price of cars - they hold their value a lot!! but things like electrical items such as toasters toastie makers, slow cooker, food processers etc are really cheap!!!

other than that we researched rent and jobs etc before arriving so was not a shock!!

so if anyone needs help or advise i would be happy to help if i can!!

charl

hi Charl,

I found your post interesting and very true! I see that you are a nurse and just wondered if you have looked into work at all yet? I'm an OT and finding it difficult to get work due to not being fully registered with AHPRA and needing an employer to carry out a 6 month audit on me. is it the same for you? My husband and I have been here a month. I have a 3 year old girl and 1 year ole boy. Also do you know of any kids clubs in the maroochydore area that you could recommend?

Thanks

gemma x

Hi Gemma

we rented in maroochydore for a bit when we arrived to - wer in kuluin now which is only about 10 mins away and i have a 3 year old little girl i dont no of any kids clubs but iv met a few other mums so we just have meets at the park - your welcome to join us at the next one or if you want to meet up sooner then me and layla are up for a play at the park lol.

no im fully registered with AHPRA hun i did most of the work from the uk just needed to finalise on arrival which was some ID at their office.... not working yet but i have started looking this past week or so as i hope to be working jan/feb

xx

hi Charl,

I found your post interesting and very true! I see that you are a nurse and just wondered if you have looked into work at all yet? I'm an OT and finding it difficult to get work due to not being fully registered with AHPRA and needing an employer to carry out a 6 month audit on me. is it the same for you? My husband and I have been here a month. I have a 3 year old girl and 1 year ole boy. Also do you know of any kids clubs in the maroochydore area that you could recommend?

Thanks

gemma x

Welcome to Queensland !!

Great to read you are all enjoying life so far, as for the groceries as other have said ,shop around, the more you explore the more bargains you will find,lol. Also watch for the 'Sales' they seem to have them every month for one reason or another ,so ive learnt now to try and hang on till a sale is on if i am after something.

If you shop at Woolys ,get an everyday rewards card, it gives you discounts on products in store and also gives you a fuel discount, you can also link up to Qantas rewards and use your points to buy from their shop. The last couple of years ive learnt enough for a Gift Card which i use towards the 'big shop' at xmas.

Hope these tips help a bit

Cal x

thanks for that il get my self a rewards card i think lol

Welcome to Queensland !!

Great to read you are all enjoying life so far, as for the groceries as other have said ,shop around, the more you explore the more bargains you will find,lol. Also watch for the 'Sales' they seem to have them every month for one reason or another ,so ive learnt now to try and hang on till a sale is on if i am after something.

If you shop at Woolys ,get an everyday rewards card, it gives you discounts on products in store and also gives you a fuel discount, you can also link up to Qantas rewards and use your points to buy from their shop. The last couple of years ive learnt enough for a Gift Card which i use towards the 'big shop' at xmas.

Hope these tips help a bit

Cal x

• 4 weeks later...

Hello me and my fiancé fly out to Sunshine Coast in July on working holiday visas. We are hoping to secure jobs to make our move permanent as he is a mechanic and I am a primary school teacher. I was just wondering if there were many schools in your area? We have been looking at Moolooba but are staying in a English owned hotel for first two weeks until we find rental but we definitely want to be in Sunshine Coast. Any helpful tips or advice would be great we are really excited! Xx

Hello me and my fiancé fly out to Sunshine Coast in July on working holiday visas. We are hoping to secure jobs to make our move permanent as he is a mechanic and I am a primary school teacher. I was just wondering if there were many schools in your area? We have been looking at Moolooba but are staying in a English owned hotel for first two weeks until we find rental but we definitely want to be in Sunshine Coast. Any helpful tips or advice would be great we are really excited! Xx

Hey there

Starting to teach in Queensland is a convoluted process.

To be able to teach you need to register with QCT, [Queensland College of Teachers] This takes about three months to process. Once you have this you need to register with the department for education and training. This takes about a week. Once you have this you can register with TRACER for supply teaching work with the state system. They will assess your pay rate based on previous teaching experience. To be employed on a contract in a state school you need to compile a portfolio of skills and experience and complete an interview with them in which they decide your points and pay level. They will then place you in a school is they have availability within your chosen region. I am not sure whether a working holiday visa would be flexible enough for you to work for the state full time. Someone else here might know the answer to that one.

Most state contracts are only available temporarily for the Sunshine Coast unless you have previously completed regional / remote area teaching. You can skip this step if you secure work in an independent school. I teach in an independent school at the northern end of the Sunshine Coast. There is no shortage of teachers in Queensland and jobs are difficult to secure. I was lucky as I teach maths and science for which there are more jobs. That said, I have heard that regular supply work is easy to find once the schools get to know you.

Mooloolaba is beautiful and there are plenty of schools around. There are plenty of back packers around this area.

You will need to bring references from UK as this will help secure a rental.

Best of luck

Millie

Thank you that's great help! I am currently registering with QCT I sent them everything a few weeks ago. I have heard that there is no shortage of teachers but I am happy to do supply work if needs be.

When you talk about rentals we are currently living with parents as we are saving for this so we would not have any references would this be a disadvantage? Xxxx

• 2 months later...

Hello Charl2,

just wondering how you are finding the Sunshine Coast a few months on? I am new to this forum. I too am a nurse from the UK (Lancashire). I have a job starting May so me and my family (two boys aged 17 months and almost 3) are heading down under at the end of April. Can you recommend any short term cheap holiday let/rentals? Need somewhere to stay for first two week whilst we find more long term rental.

Very excited about the move but also very nervous. How have you found being away from family and friends? Any tips on making the move?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fanya

we absolutely love it! we miss family and friends but would not go back now!

we used homeaway for a short term rental.

there is one on maroochy river too which is really cheap il try and find out the name for you!

where do you have a job?

charl x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Charl

My husband, 2 kids and I are hopefully heading to the sunshine coast in September :) I am a nurse also so hopefully find work when I arrive. I am wondering how easy it is to rent a property once you are there? I am starting to panic that we will not be able to find a property quickly.

Thanks Pauline

Hey

The place in Maroochydore which does short term rentals is the Maroochy River Resort. They always have plenty of short term availability for one/ two bed apartments for around 320 dollars a week. Cheap for short term on the Sunny Coast.

I can strongly recommend Gumtree for picking up low cost items which you can sell again for the same money once your own stuff arrives.

We were lucky with Gumtree. We went to a Parreara for a dining suite any the guy said he was emigrating to Canada so we were able to get a few items from him. Then a huge house in Birtinya of people downsizing turned up a few more goods.

I don't recommend buying anything you want to keep hold of in K Mart. We bought some bed clothes to tide us over initially but threw them out after the first wash; then a microwave which cracked under the pressure when asked to cook a casserole. The cutlery also fell apart in the dishwasher. The 10 dollar kettle and toaster were the best buy but we replaced them for some more aesthetically pleasing Kmix ones.

Apartments and houses are easier to get hold of than they are in Brisbane but can be harder to secure if you have pets. There is a real shortage of good rentals around Noosaville /Tewantin as we are watching this area. You should turn up at the property to view application ready. [with all ID and bank statements / references and proof of employment] That way you can apply that day if you like the place. Nice places can have several applicants.

best of luck.

Second the shortage of good rentals in Noosaville area. Had to pay 540 for a nice 2 bed/bath/DLUG garage as we had to get a place after two weeks as we have a container arriving with some stuff and paying short term was getting expensive. Will look for a cheaper place in 6 months once we are a little more organized and settled

Hey hun

we got rejected for a few before securing our rental but still we got one within a month of arriving.. it all depends on where you want and what you want - we NEEDED a pool so was a bit more competition lol... what sort of nursing do you do? i now work in the new sunshine coast university private hospital and its great! good luck x

Hi Charl

My husband, 2 kids and I are hopefully heading to the sunshine coast in September :) I am a nurse also so hopefully find work when I arrive. I am wondering how easy it is to rent a property once you are there? I am starting to panic that we will not be able to find a property quickly.

Thanks Pauline

Archived