Can I move to have my citizenship ceremony to other state?

goto

Hello all,

I just got my citizenship application approved last week. I have a question regarding the venue for citizenship ceremony. Currently I live in regional nsw and wondering if it's possible to request to attend a citizenship ceremony at other state (Vic)? The reason being is my husband , family and friends all live in Victoria. It would be great if my beloved ones can cerebrate the moment with me. Don't want to cause troubles for them travelling to see me in nsw. Figure it would be a lot easier for me to travel to see them all.

has anyone got similar experience about this? Or should I try to call citizenship hotline and see what are my options.

Appreciate all comments.:rolleyes:

Umm i wouldnt have a clue and dont recall this question being asked before on here, maybe give the office a quick call and please pop back to let us their answer if you could.

Lots of luck with the ceremony, it felt like the final piece of the Jigsaw to us,lol

Cal x

My understanding is that you will be lined up for a ceremony in your local council area. Some lucky people get selected at random to go to Canberra and get their certificates from the Prime Minister on Australia Day, but that's luck of the draw rather than by design. Apart from that, you can't go elsewhere or else everyone would go to the glamorous location rather than their local one. Mine, when it happens, is likely to be in a grotty function hall in an outer suburb of Melbourne. If I had the choice, I would much rather do it in Melbourne Town Hall.

I already called the citizenship info line. It seems that I have to stick to my own shire unless I change my address. The lady was very helpful And offer to check my schedule for the ceremony. She was surprised that I got my upcoming ceremony very quick. My application got approved 8 November 2013 and my ceremony is on 18 December 2013. Very fast I would say. Never thought it will be this quick. Now have to invite my family here. No time to change plan. So excited

Guest GeorgeD

We had a friend who lived in the Gold Coast and got Logan Council (ours) to do his ceremony so he could be there when my wife was doing hers...so yes, I think you can change councils. No idea about doing it across state boundaries...these were neighbouring councils both in QLD.

Archived