Medicals, Police Certificates and 12 months

TeacherBen

Hi,

I received my invitation to apply for a 189 Visa on Monday, and did so, paid the fee and have started uploading all my documentation. I'm looking at health checks and police checks now.

However, I'm not looking to emigrate until Christmas 2014 - does entry to Australia have to be within 12 months of getting these documents? Is it best to wait until the new year or is that too long to wait? And finally, if I had to get them done again, would the cost be the same as the originals?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

teacherben

do not conduct your health and police check until your case officer has asked you to do so.

if and when your grant letter / visa is issued it will mention a date, you would have to enter australia before that date

Police and medical checks are only valid for one year. I can't speak to other types of visas, but for the partner visa, the initial entry date (i.e., the date by which you must enter Australia to validate your visa) is generally one year after your police or medical check, whichever you did first. That's why people advise waiting... because the sooner you have it done, the less time you'll have to get into the country if it takes them a while to process your visa.

However, I do not know about skilled visas or whether they work in exactly the same way.

Hi,

I received my invitation to apply for a 189 Visa on Monday, and did so, paid the fee and have started uploading all my documentation. I'm looking at health checks and police checks now.

However, I'm not looking to emigrate until Christmas 2014 - does entry to Australia have to be within 12 months of getting these documents? Is it best to wait until the new year or is that too long to wait? And finally, if I had to get them done again, would the cost be the same as the originals?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

teacherben

Hi Ben,

if you`re not looking into emigrating earlier than Christmas 2014, definitely wait until the CO asks for police checks and medicals. When you`re issued a visa, the entry date is ( almost always) 1 year from the police check or medical, whichever was first. Additionally, when your CO asks, you have 28 days to comply with the request so it depends how fast you get the medical/checks call. We frontloaded ours last year and then we had to go through external security checks. They took 15 months to process. Now we have to repeat police checks and medicals ( because the previous ones are more than a year old) and it costs quite a bit ( especially the medicals). Hope this helps.

Archived