489 visa queries

pmckin14

Hi all

After a few failed attempts at increasing points through Ielts my partner and I are now looking at the 489 ( still going to have a few more tries at ielts though just the reading that he keeps missing). There are a few states that are sponsoring solid plasterers on he 489, can anyone clarify

- if we can't find a job in the regional area of the sponsored state can we move state as long is its a regional area?

-If we can move states do they have to be the ones that are sponsoring solid plasterers

- how would moving states affect our chances at getting the 887

- if say he couldn't find a job in plastering would he be able to do something like labouring or can he only do the job he is sponsored in?

thanks

Hi, have you found any answers to this? We are in the exact same situation you are.

Hubby is a solid plasterer and cant seem to pass the ielts, not trying again now though, applying for 489. worried about it being 4 year temp visa, we have two kids and I really want stability (cant imagine if we had to come to uk after 4 years!).

Hi Niahshw

I think I have read that you can move state, you need to let the sponsoring state know and also the state you are moving to know as long as you keep in a regional area, however still haven't found an answer if this would affect the chances of getting the permanent 887. You can apply for this after living in The Regional area for 2 years and having worked for 1 year, I'm just worried about not being able to get work and been stuck there!

The Ielts is a nightmare we have 2 more booked then we are giving up and going for the stae sponsored. What state are you thinking of?

We were in same situation and also asked moving state but we were told it is a risky thing to do and could affect your PR, they seem to be clamping down and there was also a family that got deported as they did not stick to all their 489 rules!! I would not recommend it and won't be doing it either!!

Hi Bal67

Really that's interesting, I had read somewhere you could move state as long as ou stayed regional but it didn't mention How it would affect applying for PR, I wouldn't want to risk it either. It's a hypothetical question at the minute, going to try IELTs 2 more times but if we can't get it will definitely be thinking of this route

thanks for he response

Hi pmckin14

I put a thread on here in early Oct Moving States Ina 489 visa try and find it and see the replies 7 th Oct I think it was really conflicting replies!! What results do you need my hubby sat IELTS 7 times to get all 8's he got all 7's after 2nd attempt so we wasted £1000 after 2nd attempt with tutors too he was getting 8.5 & 9's in everything but his writing, so we thought enough was enough went out on reccie in Aug and then started 489 visa instead of wasting anymore time.

Bal

Hi

He only needs 7's seems to have mastered everything but his reaing but his patience is wearing and as you say we're wasting time and money and don't want to risk his job going off the sol altogether. Have just joined pomsinadelaide now we are thinking of going down this route, think i may have seen your post there?? Sorry one more question, do you know does he have to work in the job he has been sponsored in, (only if he can't find anything)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I am in the same situation. Being asked to get 7 in all, I got 7.5 and 8 in all sections and 6.5 in Writing :( I was so frustrated and i am thinking of the 489 visa as well.

Let's help each other here and think of the worest case scenario. I beleive that we can work in any field not specifically the job you were sponsored for. What are regions are better than other ?? Any ideas about the workforce there in WA??

Correct. You can work in any job.

It is hard to say what "regions" are better than another. It depends on what you do and what you want. For example, I live in mandurah which is the closest regional city to Perth so popular with people on a 489. But others go to other cities such as Bunbury or even those a very long way from Perth such as Port Hedland.

As for work, it depends on what you do. Some regional areas are better than Perth for some roles. Other jobs are very thin on the ground in some regional areas.

Hi All,

I am in the same situation. Being asked to get 7 in all, I got 7.5 and 8 in all sections and 6.5 in Writing :( I was so frustrated and i am thinking of the 489 visa as well.

Let's help each other here and think of the worest case scenario. I beleive that we can work in any field not specifically the job you were sponsored for. What are regions are better than other ?? Any ideas about the workforce there in WA??

Thanks alot for your concern and fast reply

:)

I am working as an HR Administrator and also i have excellent experience in Personal Assistance position and my husband is IT Hardware Technician OR Helpdesk Administrator.

Do you think which region would be suitable for us . Also I am searching for place which is family friendly so we can get connected with other families and networking with people who have the same lifestyle. I heard that Mandurah is meant to be for Retiring Visa . What do you think ?

I am thinking in Bunburray as they have a Muslim community and better access to Halal food than Mandurah.

If you have any good websites for Mandurah and Bunburray so I can

compare between them in work opportunities for both me and my husband i would be grateful- PS: I tried seek butcould not find related jobs.

. I used to search on Mandurah.gov.au and Bunburry.gov.au but they were not a great help.

Archived