So, when it comes to owning a car in NSW, Costs are..?

seraphim

Is this right? What I mean is, have I identified each thing as the correct equivalent? And have I missed anything?

It appears the UK has no equivalent of CTP or ‘Green Slip’. Can you buy CTP from any insurer or does it have to be from the Roads Authority? (note all figures are what I’ve obtained for me!)

UK MOT £40 = AU Roadworthy $60

UK Tax Disc £110 = AU Rego $270

UK Insurance Fully Comp £350 = AU Insurance Fully Comp $750

UK NO equivalent £0 = AU CTP (green Slip) $585!!!!

Costs

UK £500 AU $1665!

And that’s before I’ve turned the key?

Even taking into account the 2.5 multiplier, it seems costly, and we would need to run 2 vehicles due to distances involved in ferrying our child around!

Does Rego and Roadworthy have to be done annually?

What are Australians like for servicing their cars regularly? I.e is it done like the UK every year/X km’s or just as and when in general?

Is buying a car without a RWC the same as buying a car without an MOT? (i.e likely to fail it’s safety checks?)

All cars seem to have spaceship mileages on them, what is considered to be ‘high mileage’ in Australia? Here it always seems to have been 100k Miles, so about 160k Kms.

Probably the most common question but why does FULLY comp not include the bits that CTP does? (and why pay CTP if Fully Comp includes everything?!?!?!Surely if it’s additional to CTP it isn’t’ ‘Full’ at all?

Any light shed on this would be helpful from those in the know!

One thought - you say that all the cars you are looking at have high mileages. This may be because cars over her depreciate slower, and hence the value of a given car at a particular age and mileage will be higher here than in the UK. Thus if you are searching on the basis of a particular budget, as most of us do, you'll find you get less for your money here than in the UK. One result of that is that your search will throw up more high mileage cars than it would for the same search in the UK. On the other hand, with no salt on the roads, and because people look after older cars because they are worth more, cars do last longer, and often stay in better condition, than they do in the UK.

On the up side, petrol is considerably cheaper here (budget about $1.50 a litre and you won't be far out), and new cars, relative to wages, work out cheaper than in the UK (it's all to do with exchange rates at the moment I think - strong A$ means cars are relatively cheap, but the new car market is also very competitive).

Probably the most common question but why does FULLY comp not include the bits that CTP does? (and why pay CTP if Fully Comp includes everything?!?!?!Surely if it’s additional to CTP it isn’t’ ‘Full’ at all?

CTP is more to give a very base level of insurance to the car, rather than the driver. In this way it ensures that all cars that have been rego'd are insured for the road, regardless of who (or how sober) the person is behind the wheel. Anyone is insured to drive any car. That said, the CTP insurance is limited to providing third party medical cover and nothing to the property. Simply put, people rarely get hit by un-insured drivers in Australia.

CTP is what it says i.e. 'Compulsory' and you can't register a car without it. It ensures that all cars are covered for Third Party personal insurance so anyone injured by the car is covered by it.

Fully Comprehensive covers all the rest (except the CTP bit). Obviously there's no point in Fully Comprehensive covering the CTP bit as it's already compulsorily covered. No point in covering it twice. So you're right in that 'Fully Comprehensive' does not mean 'Fully Comprehensive' in UK terms.

You don't buy your CTP from the Roads Authority, you get it from any Insurer. You usually get a discount on the Fully Comp insurance if you buy your CTP from them.

You do have to do your Rego every year. Some states don't have an annual roadworthy check (it's called a 'pink slip') but NSW does for all cars over 5 years old.

We find running a car here much cheaper than uk..so much so that we have two now which we couldnt before..but we always buy very second hand..and cars age sooo well here and run much longer so can get some good deals on older reliable cars if your not bothered about looking cool lol but if u dnt hav any mechanical skills u may not want to take that risk..petrol is $1.39 a litre where I live..but alot are $1.49 like said above

Yes it is quite normal to find having a car here more expensive than in the UK. Mainly due to insurance for us as in UK we also found our insurance about GBP350, but here it is about $1,000 for fully comp and then there is CTP as well. Don't drive enough miles for the petrol savings to offset that. Possibly someone who drives high mileage would though.

Actually no one knows from one day to the next what petrol costs out here because it goes up and down so much - but that is just one of the peculiarities of Australia. I'd love to buy it for $1.39 but my car only drinks 98, so we're up at about $1.65...

All smart drivers use 98 but it's not something I'm going into in depth now. If you have a turbo it can work out cheaper than using 93. We use 98 in a '95 Subaru Liberty 2.2 and our Falcon BA wagon 4.0 tow car.

Archived