417 working holiday. Medical confusion

delicatepotatoe

I sent in an application for a 417 working holiday visa and it said on the website i needed to have a medical assessment done before my visa claim could go ahead and be processed. So I booked an appointment but then the other day i got an email saying my visa has been accepted and granted anyway? Now i can't find any mention on the site as to be needing a medical anymore. Do i even need one now that my visa's been granted? I'm so confused haha. I spoke with the uk based center helpline for aus visas and they said well the visa has been approved so it seems its not needed but email them just to be safe, i have done but no reply yet. I called up the medical center, she sounded angry but then also said "i know for a fact you'll be denied at the boarder if you don't get the medical done even with an approved visa" but the way she said it didn't sound so convincing heh.

Thanks for your help

It depends what you put down in your application form for the WHV regarding what type of work you will be doing in Australia with regards to requiring a medical or not - if you put that you plan on working in hospital or with children then a medical would have been required.

As your visa has been granted no medical is needed - just cancel your appointment and do not listen to the receptionist at the medical centre as she has no idea what she is talking about.

It depends what you put down in your application form for the WHV regarding what type of work you will be doing in Australia with regards to requiring a medical or not - if you put that you plan on working in hospital or with children then a medical would have been required.

As your visa has been granted no medical is needed - just cancel your appointment and do not listen to the receptionist at the medical centre as she has no idea what she is talking about.

Yeah no plans on working in a hospital or with children.

^^ hehe typical though i start this thread and 10 minutes later i actually got a response back from the aus visa immigration thingy. They confirmed no medical is required. Thank you for the help though <3

As you have found out first hand, information on the Immigration website is basic and unfortunately cannot be relied upon.

For the Working Holiday visa the Immigration Department website does state “All applicants are required to meet health criteria.” However, the Regulations actually stipulate what meeting the health criteria for this visa means and in most cases it means that no medicals or x rays are required.

As for the advice from the medical centre, again it cannot be relied upon. Although they are appointed by the Immigration Department for visa medical purposes, the clinics are private businesses. It appears the advice from the medical receptionist was more of a scare to try to make you pay money to undertake unnecessary medicals.

Archived