Tips on good banks?

panicp

Hi all,

We need to open an Ozzie bank account asap. Could anyone point us in the right direction to a relatively good/accessible bank/cash machines/branches etc?

We will be depositing a monthly salary.

I noticed on another thread there is an advert for NAB but if anyone has any tips, they would be gratefully received. Is there an Ozzie "compare the market.com"??

Cheers

Dave

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Dave

Ive moved your thread to the money part of the forum.

Banking is a question often asks and the majority of members are with the NAB. I know when I had my relocation business people use to use Westpac but they never received their debit cards until 5 working days after they arrived and sometimes getting a rental so quick is impossible. Also they charge a monthly fee for the account.

NAB on the other hand don't charge monthly fees, there is also a deal with Moneycorp in that members can make free transfers between Moneycorp and NAB. Also your cards are waiting for you in arrival and you are given your own personal banker who looks after you from day one. I class it as the red carpet treatment

The big ones are :-

NAB

ANZ

Commonwealth

Westpac

We went with ANZ and they have been spot on.

Good online website, and mobile app.

They also have our house loan (only lender to deal with contractors with only 12 months history) and my business accounts.

Having them all in one place makes stuff easy. Also gives us cheap personal loans, credit cards etc.

Shame they are not competitive on the insurance side of things.

We opened an account from the UK with ANZ and still use them now. When we arrived, albeit a few years ago, you got the cards straight away when you went into a branch to activate the account. They do have a monthly fee of $5 ,but this is waivered if you have a home loan or other loan with them.

Cal x

I went with Westpac after checking out all options. They have been great in every way. Easy to setup accounts, cards, etc., prior to arrival. Branches on every corner. Friendly, helpful, knowledgable branch staff. No complaints. Similar to Bank of America here in the States. I still have money on deposit, and they will be my bank when I return to Oz. That being said, you probably can't go wrong with any of the majors....check out all the fees, and see which one suits you.......

My partner and I both use citibank, the citibank plus account is fee free (well, there are no monthly fees and no minimum monthly deposit required). There's not many physical branches but you can withdraw cash for free from any citibank, westpac, st George and I think Bank SA ATMS. I've only needed to go into the physical branch once to open the account, so I don't find that as being an issue. Each to their own!

They are all basically the same.

This. Just pick one and go with it. You can always open a different one once you're there and settled. I personally have NAB and ING - they're both fine (although I have had some issues with NAB so ING probably edges it for me)

For new migrants NAB, or another bank with a local branch, is probably the better bet as you can pick up cards etc on arrival rather than waiting until you have an address, but I mainly use my ING account these days.

Bear in mind that most charge a withdrawal fee if you use a rivals' ATM, so check out the number and location of cash points in the area you're likely to live/work.

Hi folks,

I will be flying to Melbourne in few days, have read about A-Z banks on this forum. Can anyone please tell me which bank in Melbourne I should go for?

1. No Monthly Fees?

2. Can use ATM card in any banks wall without any fee?

3. Has good internet banking and teller without any fee?

Sorry but after reading here I wanna ask someone who can share some light on this.

Thank you

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi folks,

I will be flying to Melbourne in few days, have read about A-Z banks on this forum. Can anyone please tell me which bank in Melbourne I should go for?

1. No Monthly Fees?

2. Can use ATM card in any banks wall without any fee?

3. Has good internet banking and teller without any fee?

Sorry but after reading here I wanna ask someone who can share some light on this.

Thank you

You may struggle with Number 2, some banks will allow you to use other ATM's without charge but not all ATM's

Thank you so much Pom Queen, well let's say if i go with NAB, & wanna withdraw from Commonwealth ATM is there a fee for that ? Since CBA is the most common in AUS and NAB doesnt charge monthly or ATM withdrawal fees? Am I right or wrong.

Guest The Pom Queen
Thank you so much Pom Queen, well let's say if i go with NAB, & wanna withdraw from Commonwealth ATM is there a fee for that ? Since CBA is the most common in AUS and NAB doesnt charge monthly or ATM withdrawal fees? Am I right or wrong.

If I remember rightly, don't quote me on this, but the reason Commonwealth state they have more ATM's than any other bank is actually because they double up on them in the same place. So for example if you went to a shopping center you may have 1 NAB ATM, 1 Bendigo, 1 ANZ but 5 Commonwealth.

In regards to fees I would presume that yes you would get charged for using a CBA ATM (although last weekend I believe no one could use the CBA ATM's as the system crashed)

Thanks mate I likey likey the idea LOL. I'm confused between NAB & CBA. Thinking about Bankwest but hard to find a branch in melbourne. I reckon once I land i need to personally talk to these guys & then lets see what's best. Yah i'm still open to any info regarding the best ones, feel free to share with me.

Cheers

Of course mate who doesn't like it. Why would I want to pay extra if I can get it for free. Also everybody has to pay tax & I'm included as well but why pay the bank. If you know any who can do that please tell me. It will not only help me but so many of them who are moving here. Sorry if you work for any bank and I offended you but I want the best for me mate.

Well since we are discussing about the benefits here on the forum I see no harm in asking a question which I know sounds stupid. Better be stupid then not asking anything and later finding it out that hey if i did some research or yabber jabber last time then i wouldn't be paying extra $5 to $ 10 per month, from which $2 can go to some random homeless kids education in some countries or the rest going back in your own pocket. I reckon charity begins at home but little sharing wont hurt.

YES BANKS are BUSINESS but they won't be unless we don't keep all our money in. Oh I'm not a banker but they make money from your money and when they go bankrupt they give you only some part of it not ALL OF WHAT YOU STORED IN IT.

If I owned a business i would never give it for free unless I own a BANK mate. Thank you for not answering the question, have a good one.

To be honest I don't think there are any banks that let you withdraw from ANY ATM without a fee. ING does but you have to take out a minimum $200. (They have great internet banking and decent interest rates as well, but that's another question)

You'll find that most current accounts are fee free these days - either without any strings, or on condition you have another of their products

Thank you so much LizzyTinKnicks, well lot of them were saying on the forum that Bankwest atm card can be used everywhere without any fee. Looks like I have to go and ask them if they can give me some special account where I won't be charged any fees. ING doesnt sound that bad will do some research. Thanks again

Archived