When do they start school?

Guest Parklife

Guest Parklife

We are hoping to be in Victoria in August/September. We have two littlies who will be aged 4 and 6 when we arrive.

When do kids start school in Victoria?

Thanks

L xxx

We are hoping to be in Victoria in August/September. We have two littlies who will be aged 4 and 6 when we arrive.

When do kids start school in Victoria?

Thanks

L xxx

Our son was 5 when we got here and had started school in the UK Sept 06. When we got here in June 07 he had almost completed a full year in the UK so would have gone into year 1 in Sept 07. However he went into Prep when we got here (same as Reception in UK) Had we been here before he would not have started school until Jan 07. (Rather than Sept 06 in UK).

Our 4 year old would have started school this coming September in the UK however here he does not start until Jan 09.

It does however depend on the childs birthday. The cut off here is the end of April. Luckily our boys have fallen the right side of the cut off date. Had our 4 year olds birthday not been until May (its February) he would not be going to school for another year (nearly 17months after he would have done in the UK).

Hope this makes sense and helps a little!!

Deb xx

Guest Parklife

Thanks for that - very helpful!

Oh dear - his birthday is 30th May!! He is 6 this May so am I right in thinking that he will go into year 1 in January 09? (I am a bit confused by all this!!!) and could fit into prep when we arrive in Sept?

L xxx

Thanks for that - very helpful!

Oh dear - his birthday is 30th May!! He is 6 this May so am I right in thinking that he will go into year 1 in January 09? (I am a bit confused by all this!!!) and could fit into prep when we arrive in Sept?

L xxx

Yes, as he turns 6 after 30 April then this will be his first year of full time school - Prep - so he will be in year 1 (second year of full time school) in 2009. He has to legally attend school once he has turned 6 so you will be able to enrol him as soon as you arrive.

This may help you work it out Education in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All depending on when your 4 year old turns 5 s/he will start either this year or next year in Prep (if your 4 yr old turns 5 before 30 April 2008 s/he could potentially be in the same year as your 6 year old!). One would be amongst the oldest kids in the class and the other would be one of the youngest!

Archived