Skills assessment - references and qualifications.

ByronSmith

Hi All,

I was recommended this forum by a friend who migrated to Oz a couple years ago. She said it was extremely useful in getting questions answered, no pressure ;-).

I am just undertaking my skills assessment. Unfortunately the qualifications I have have have expire or fall pass the earliest acceptance year, although I do have 14 years of work experience in my chosen profession. This leaves with me a few questions:

Would they accept expired qualifications?

If the above is no, which would be better to do, an RPL or try and renew my expired qualifications?

Also, with regards to references, the two line managers that I worked under in previous employment have both left or retired however the references need to be official headed letters and sign by a current senior employee but as mentioned, all employees have since changed or retired!

I see that you can get a third party Statutory Declaration - can this be from the retired line managers in question?

Any advice on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Byron

Thanks for the reply. I'm not quite following your reply, apologies. Let me see if I can make is clearer.

The certifications I have, which are CCNA and MCP, make me eligible for migration under a specific SOL. However these certifications, in the technical world, expire and have to be renewed in order for them to be valid. If they are not renewed you are no longer qualified. So even though I have previously had these certifications and I am eligible on the SOL, it doesn't make it clear if the expired certifications count at valid.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not quite following your reply, apologies. Let me see if I can make is clearer.

The certifications I have, which are CCNA and MCP, make me eligible for migration under a specific SOL. However these certifications, in the technical world, expire and have to be renewed in order for them to be valid. If they are not renewed you are no longer qualified. So even though I have previously had these certifications and I am eligible on the SOL, it doesn't make it clear if the expired certifications count at valid.

Perhaps you should running your case past a registered migration agent. But for Skilled Migration Purposes - qualifications such as degrees, masters, diplomas etc do not expire. Therefore if you have none of these qualifications and only certificates as you have stated the RPL for skills assessment will be the way to go.

As far as I know, ACS doesn't consider neither CCNA nor MCP. At least CCNP and MCSE. It was mentioned in one of the ACS tutorials...

According to this document, CCNA is: http://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/7641/ANZSCO-Code-Descriptions-1-July-2012-V2.pdf

Vendor/vendor-neutral qualifications appropriate to this occupation:

(this is not an essential or exhaustive list: please refer to guidelines for eligibility)

Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer, Cisco Certified Network Associate (CAN), Cisco Certified Network

Professional (CCNP) Oracle (OCA) and Linux Professional (LPIC).

However, I do believe you, as the document related to the Skills Assement (can't find it now) doesn't mention the CCNA at all so I'm unsure of what is accepted or not.

Perhaps you should running your case past a registered migration agent. But for Skilled Migration Purposes - qualifications such as degrees, masters, diplomas etc do not expire. Therefore if you have none of these qualifications and only certificates as you have stated the RPL for skills assessment will be the way to go.

I have a call with a migration agency today at 17:00 to start the process however I was considering a DIY approach but not really keen on getting it wrong. Perhaps agency is the way forward here especially with so many questions

According to this document, CCNA is: http://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/7641/ANZSCO-Code-Descriptions-1-July-2012-V2.pdf

Vendor/vendor-neutral qualifications appropriate to this occupation:

(this is not an essential or exhaustive list: please refer to guidelines for eligibility)

Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer, Cisco Certified Network Associate (CAN), Cisco Certified Network

Professional (CCNP) Oracle (OCA) and Linux Professional (LPIC).

However, I do believe you, as the document related to the Skills Assement (can't find it now) doesn't mention the CCNA at all so I'm unsure of what is accepted or not.

[/color]

I have a call with a migration agency today at 17:00 to start the process however I was considering a DIY approach but not really keen on getting it wrong. Perhaps agency is the way forward here especially with so many questions

Hello,

I have recently done my assessment with ACS and emailed them myself with the queries I had before submitting. They replied promptly and are very professional.

You are right though, they do list the CCNA as an example qualification under the ANZSCO code for a Web Admin but do not specify it in the list of qualifications they would compare to an AQF Diploma. The list can be found here https://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/7324/Summary-of-Criteria.pdf

When I did my assessment, I had to give them access to my Microsoft transcript to verify my qualifications so you need to do the same for your Cisco certs.

Just send them an email and double check to see if CCNA is accepted and whether it would be accepted if expired.

Thanks Dondanell,

I did indeed contact them and they also replied very quickly, surprisingly! Anyway, they confirmed CCNA and MCP was no a recognised qualification so it would seem I need to go down the RPL road as I have more than enough experience to complete the RPL application as well as have sufficient work experience.

Thanks for the replies.

Archived