457 over 45?

Tazzamaraz

I'm currently in Oz on a 457 visa and have just found a new job with a different employer that is willing to take over my sponsorship.

My question is that I have just turned 45 so will this now affect me if I want to apply for PR through my employer in 2 years? Does the time that I've spent with my first employer count at all??

Thanks

I'm currently in Oz on a 457 visa and have just found a new job with a different employer that is willing to take over my sponsorship.

My question is that I have just turned 45 so will this now affect me if I want to apply for PR through my employer in 2 years? Does the time that I've spent with my first employer count at all??

Thanks

You could do a skills assessment and apply for the permanent visa straight away if your employer will support that. Otherwise yes the new employer could sponsor for a permanent visa after two years.

You certainly are adopting a risky strategy here, what if your new employer is unable to support PR in two years, then you are 47 and might need to start over with a new employer. Could you not have applied for skilled migration, I know it will be hard now you are 45. Have you spoken to te employer about the permanent sponsorship path?

Does the fact that you have Australian skilled work experience enable you to look at a Skilled Independent (subclass 189) or a Skilled Sponsored (s/c 190) visa?

At least 1 year of Australian skilled work experience provides 5 points, and can be enough to get an intending skilled visa applicant over the line.

Assuming you can obtain a positive migration skills assessment, of course.

Best regards.

Archived