Supply teaching...

Kooky

Hope some of you teacher who have already made the move can help me out...

wondering if anyone can give me an idea of how much work I'd be likely to get supply teaching? Thinking it would be the best start for me so I can have less pressure in work to enable me to help my kids settle in.

Is there a good amount - is it possible to work each day supply? or am I more likely to get the odd day each week (or less?).

I am secondary trained if that helps.

It depends which state, all of them will have different systems.

the school I work at has a bunch of regulars which are called on first. The kids know them, it's like an internal teacher taking the class. Most are former teachers from the school so know how the place works too.

Once they are used up, agency teachers are used.

One or two of the regulars average 4 days per week. Others 1 - 2.

Its best to drop your cv into a bunch of schools where you will live and get yourself out there. They will then ring you as and when.

It will most likely be very hit and miss (mostly miss) at the start. If you are any good, you will get more, maybe pick up a long service leave, etc. you will also know what to say if a job comes up in a school you have supplied in.

Not sure if you will need teaching registration to do so, but I bet you will.

You will have the minefield that is required to get everything sorted.

I guess you have been reading teaching threads since you joined, so have a good idea of how to get you qualifications checked and registration completed in the state you are looking at. Do you satisfy the 4 years uni rule?

Hi, There is a canadian teacher in our quiz team who is doing supply. He gets 3-5 days a week, usually at least 4 in Melbournes inner suburbs. I am not sure what he teaches, may be history? He has been doing it for a few months now (via an agency) and he is starting to get called back by schools asking him by name

I moved to Bondi a couple of months ago. I did a few days volunteering at a school whilst I was waiting for my registration and then I've been called in for casual teaching everyday since.

I think it is mainly about getting your face seen and proving that you can get stuck in and then you will keep being called back. I haven't even gone around any other schools yet whilst this current school is using me so much. Also, at $322 a day it can be better economically than a permanent job :)

HNks everyone. Seems very varied. We will probably be going SA (Adelaide) way but are not 100% yet until our recci in August time. I guess on our recci we could pop in some schools to drop off cvs etc. (dh is also teacher but hope to get him a more permanent role ASAP).

HNks everyone. Seems very varied. We will probably be going SA (Adelaide) way but are not 100% yet until our recci in August time. I guess on our recci we could pop in some schools to drop off cvs etc. (dh is also teacher but hope to get him a more permanent role ASAP).

Supply (relief) teaching will most probably be your way in. There is a surplus of primary and secondary teachers in all subjects except Maths and also Design and Technology.

There are many home grown teachers that would love permanent positions too - these are extremely hard to come by and many must go remote or very rural first.

By relief teaching, the schools can get to know you and then if a fixed term contract becomes available they are likely to consider you first. However, the process of employment works differently in each state.

Some may manage to get one or two days relief a week, whilst others may be called every day.

Schools are advertising right now for positions that begin next February - from August onwards is the time to be vigilant for job seeking.By December/January there is nothing.

Archived