Claim Your Tax Back

jimbobandrachel

Hi everyone

Back in June 2006 I went backpacking around the world for 8 months with my girlfriend. It wasn't until the other week I thought I might be able to claim some tax back as I'd only worked for 2 months during the 2006/07 tax year. Being a little naive i thought the Inland Revenue would automatically reimburse me for being over taxed, WRONG. So I filled a couple of forms in and hey presto, a cheque for £1035 arrived yesterday in the post, Bonzer!

You can also claim tax back when you emigrate, so once we've arrived in Melbourne in June We'll be filling more forms in.

So, all you folks that are about to make the move shortly, make sure you claim your tax back, it's yours and it's better in your pocket than that of an illegal immigrant!

Hope this is of help to you all

Cheers

Jim

Guest Shenanigans

H just wanted to ask can you claim for a tax rebate before you leave the UKor is it when you have left the UK you can claim. I'm leaving at the end of May and will be glad to see the back of the UK, plus after slogging here and paying a high bracket of tax I want to get every penny back that I can. What forms do I need to fill out and and how long does it take for the Inland Rev. to process if i can claim before I leave. Any extra cash is a great help.

Thanks

Sarah.

Guest bigjez

yes i would like somemore info please what forms and can we claim as soon as we finish work or do we have to wait for end of tax year we go in aug so would me and oh get tax back from april to aug thanks for any info jez

H just wanted to ask can you claim for a tax rebate before you leave the UKor is it when you have left the UK you can claim. I'm leaving at the end of May and will be glad to see the back of the UK, plus after slogging here and paying a high bracket of tax I want to get every penny back that I can. What forms do I need to fill out and and how long does it take for the Inland Rev. to process if i can claim before I leave. Any extra cash is a great help.

Thanks

Sarah.

Hi

If you go onto HM Revenue & Customs: Home Page and put in the search engine P85, this should bring up the form you need to download to reclaim your tax. Not sure though if you have to wait til you leave the UK or not.

It took a month to get my cheque from IR after posting the forms, so reasonably quick.

Cheers

Jim

Guest Liz and Paul

Hi Everyone,

We claimed our tax back when we were still in the UK but you have to have finished working as you have to send your P45 along with the form.

Liz

Hi all, we filled in a P85 when we left UK in September, and sent off with P45, but have heard nothing yet. I thought maybe it was finalised at the end of the tax year, but it looks like it isn't? If anyone knows I would be grateful, as I want our money back!!!

Jo

Guest Liz and Paul

Hi Jo

I got my tax back within 2 weeks, still waiting to hear about Pauls though, thats been about 7 weeks now.

(PS waiting to hear from Wendy about where she wants to meet, have offered my house)

Liz

Rang the tax office last night, (East Cheshire), supposedly they sent a request for information to our old house, despite us giving them a new forwarding address, in October last year. Then it turns out they had the information after all, but haven't processed it for some reason! The lady was very helpful, but she said she will have to email another department, who will ring us (at what time?!) in a few days, and then try and sort it. LIKELY STORY! Expect we'll be on the phone again next week, and find out nothing's happened, again:arghh:.

Jo

Archived