Snakes and kangeroos

Guest roantreemj

Guest roantreemj

Am too lazy to look on the net about this - but we are having a family debate about whether there are lots of snakes creeping about in the back gardens of houses in Adelaide? I am telling the kids this is not so but they are telling me different - so thought I would put it to you guys on here!!!!!!!!! Please .......no scary stories!!!:arghh: My eldest daughter watched a programme once about some teenage boys playing a round of golf in Aus and some kangeroos attacked them - proper beat this lad up - hopped away and when he moved it came back for round 2. She is convined there will be kangeroos chasing her about when we eventually move over.........................

Guest sharleen29

Hi, dont know about the roo's, but my mother-in-law used to live in Adelaide and she said the worst thing was the ants!! Yuk!

xxx

Guest Guest9973

I wouldn't worry too much about snakes,especially in more suburban areas.

Some people have lived here for years and never seen one.

They are often seen where a lot of building is going on,perhaps they have had their habitat disturbed.

We live semi rural and have seen them - to the extent of having one in the house:arghh::arghh:

Roos are not a problem either,you are not likely to see them in suburban areas.

They will defend themselves if threatened but that is normally a worry if you have dogs.

We had a Koala in the trees at the back a couple of days ago,we had to keep the dogs away from the area.Koala's do have huge claws for climbing trees but will swipe a dog in defence if pushed.

Ants and small creepy crawly s are a pain though.It can be a constant battle to keep ants out of the house.

• 8 months later...

Never seen snakes and been in Adelaide for 8 months now (never saw any in Victoria either). You won't find kangaroo's in residential areas, they tend to live in remote places.

As Tyke said, the ants are a pain at the moment a we're having an unusually hot spring, so we're going through a lot of insect spray (mortein) right now.:arghh:

Guest majortom57

I agree with Tyke (how are you mate) and Ann about the ants, we also have a problem with the cockroaches (horrible things) at the moment.

Getting back to the snakes, someone in work got a call from the missus that she had a 4ft brown snake in thier back yard, and they live in..........Prospect !!! he was on the old blower to the snake catcher as he left the building !!

Jim

I agree with Tyke (how are you mate) and Ann about the ants, we also have a problem with the cockroaches (horrible things) at the moment.

Getting back to the snakes, someone in work got a call from the missus that she had a 4ft brown snake in thier back yard, and they live in..........Prospect !!! he was on the old blower to the snake catcher as he left the building !!

Jim

Saw some big cockroaches in Geelong (Vic), so gave 'em a very big blast of mortein and they died instantly:notworthy:

Snakes definitely out in the bush, the occasional blue tongue or stumpy tail in the garden. In Canberra we do get roos in the suburbs - mainly because of the drought which has brought them into town and also because no suburb is far from the bush. We get them in our garden most nights and I have occasionally seen them in our street during the daytime - now that is scary. A few years ago, when there was more water, you wouldnt find them near towns at all. Golf courses are usually fair game for roos though, you often see them there. Ants are pests - the big sugar ants are scarier looking than they actually are but there are some really nasty bull ants which will give you a very painful nip if you arent careful. All the other things are just nuisance rather than deadly (except some of the spiders of course)

Am too lazy to look on the net about this - but we are having a family debate about whether there are lots of snakes creeping about in the back gardens of houses in Adelaide? I am telling the kids this is not so but they are telling me different - so thought I would put it to you guys on here!!!!!!!!! Please .......no scary stories!!!:arghh: My eldest daughter watched a programme once about some teenage boys playing a round of golf in Aus and some kangeroos attacked them - proper beat this lad up - hopped away and when he moved it came back for round 2. She is convined there will be kangeroos chasing her about when we eventually move over.........................

dead funny!!! no offence meant, ive just shown my partner your post and she is now looking into buying a couple of large kangaroos to beat me to a pulp when she decides im drinking too much whisky or watching too much football! for myself im more worried about the little poisonous spiders, it was reassuring to see one of the posts saying snakes tend to be more abundant were building is taking place because their habitat has been disturbed, not! im a bricklayer. btw were going to adelaide as well, good luck anyway

Guest spottymercedes

I saw the programme about the roos attacking the boy on the golf course. It was not nice, they showed his injuries and he was pretty bad. It was one of those programmes like deadly down under where they try to scare you. I think most of the things on there were freak incidents which don't normally occur. They also showed the lady who was hanging out her washing and had some kind of nasty ants crawling all over her and biting her, and some people who were in their backyard and picked up a sheet of corrugated metal and got bitten by a snake. Its usually best to avoid watching these programmes before coming over, although I remember watching all of them before we came!

We had a really cute blue tongued lizard on our doorstep at the weekend.

Guest Guest9973

Jim

Hi Jim,I'm good thanks.

How are your things now - settled???

Guest Guest9973
HELLO

What about the spiders you seem not to say to much about those.

Jim

Aaaaa......... the scary spiders that we don't talk about........:arghh:

Nah,it's not too bad in the Burb's,the odd Huntsman,Redback in the shed or a White Tip.

The plague of snakes tend to eat them:biglaugh:

We see Kangaroos when we walk our dog, we live about 40km south of Adelaide, never been chased by one......yet. They just sort of look at you and hop away. They're not even that big. We also see lots of those stumpy tailed lizards, are they called shinglebacks or something? They open their mouths like they're hissing if they feel threatened, but I'm sure they're really slow on their legs.

Only seen dead snakes so far, and no spiders I'm hapy to say, but I'm sure with the warm weather coming that will soon change :huh:

Bec x

:wubclub:

Guest spottymercedes
HELLO

What about the spiders you seem not to say to much about those.

Jim

I am scared stiff of spiders, but have not really seen many at all (yet!!)

The biggest one I saw was outside and my daughter called me out to see it, we thought it was dead, but suddenly it moved and we ran a mile! It was only a house spider like you see at certain times of the year in England, but it was pretty big. I'm hoping that we don't see too many others as that was my biggest fear about coming here. We have the 2 dogs and are worried about them with spiders as they will eat any creepy crawlies they find.

My kids have seen a big brown spider which they said was as big as my four year olds hand:eek:, but I'm hoping this is an exaggeration!! This was at the little school where they visited when we first arrived in Dixons Creek, they said they all stood on one side of the classroom whilst the lady teacher went to get the male teacher to remove it!!

I'll probably see loads now that I've said there isn't many. I'm the kind of person who lays awake at night scared if there has been one in the house.

Guest majortom57
Hi Jim,I'm good thanks.

How are your things now - settled???

Hi Tyke,

Been here 2 years now and had plenty of ups and downs (as you do !!). the bad news at the moment is that I work in the Automobile sector, my company is a suplier to Holdens. So a bit of an unsure future at the moment.

The good news is that my then 17 year old lad (when we got here) who only wanted a ticket back to London for his 18th birthday, is now in his 2nd week at RAAF Wagga Wagga doing his basic training for the Air Force..........very proud parent.

Also my 25 year old daughter back in Kent is gonna make me a grandad in May sometime !!!!.

Sorry to butt into the thread with my news..........hope all is well with everyone that reads this.

Jim

Guest jim & nik
Aaaaa......... the scary spiders that we don't talk about........:arghh:

Nah,it's not too bad in the Burb's,the odd Huntsman,Redback in the shed or a White Tip.

The plague of snakes tend to eat them:biglaugh:

Thanks Tyke

That makes me fill all together better NOT..

This means i just won't get a shed.

Jim

Guest Guest9973
Thanks Tyke

That makes me fill all together better NOT..

This means i just won't get a shed.

Jim

:biglaugh:

Don't worry,it's all hyped up really.

Rare to bump into something nasty - unless you are me - did you read about my encounter with the Koala last week??(Savage Koala thread)

I'll be having my first day out on our boat next week - look for the headline "Pom mugged by Bottle nosed Dolphins" - it could only happen to me.:biglaugh:

Guest Guest9973
Hi Tyke,

Been here 2 years now and had plenty of ups and downs (as you do !!). the bad news at the moment is that I work in the Automobile sector, my company is a suplier to Holdens. So a bit of an unsure future at the moment.

The good news is that my then 17 year old lad (when we got here) who only wanted a ticket back to London for his 18th birthday, is now in his 2nd week at RAAF Wagga Wagga doing his basic training for the Air Force..........very proud parent.

Also my 25 year old daughter back in Kent is gonna make me a grandad in May sometime !!!!.

Sorry to butt into the thread with my news..........hope all is well with everyone that reads this.

Jim

Congrats with your family Jim.

Settling here does take time and life does chuck a few curved balls - but they make the good times even sweeter.

You've been here 2 years now - that's passed quick!

Good luck on the job front :wink:

Guest jim & nik

Don't worry,it's all hyped up really.

Rare to bump into something nasty - unless you are me - did you read about my encounter with the Koala last week??(Savage Koala thread)

I'll be having my first day out on our boat next week - look for the headline "Pom mugged by Bottle nosed Dolphins" - it could only happen to me.

I will keep an eye out for that one :radar:.

HAVE FUN.:twitcy:

Archived