Wage equivalent UK - OZ

beats123

I am thinking of ringing a few companies in Oz to see if they will give me a rough figure on the wage I would get over there for the job I do.

I'm guessing they maybe reluctant to give this information out to a stranger from another country?

I have a state sponsored visa ready to go but before I hit the green light and pay my £6k overall to get to Oz in 9/12 months I really want to know I will be paid a decent enough wage over there.

I earn lets say on average £33k plus overtime and have been told roughly a wage of $70k would be expected.

If we are still going off the 2.2 to 2.6 ratio that would be either $72.6k or $85.8k.

Is this cost of living exchange rate still about right, the last posts I read with these figures were from last year.

Thanks in advance

Most people claim the 2.2 figure to calculate.

but really it is all a bit of a farce. Quality of life and comparisons to what you had in the uk depend on so many factors that you can never compare exactly.

I will depend on where in the uk you have come from, north, south, city, town country etc. then compare that to where in Australia you will end up, city, town country.

What transport did you have or use in the uk, what will you use in Australia.

Does your job involve travel, who pays for that?

its convoluted. But whatever calculation you use, ensure you multiply your answer by the average summer temperature where you are planning to go, divide by the number of spanners in a sidchrome spanner set and add your age at you next birthday plus one!

seriously, what is your job? If it is management you may have to take a few steps backwards and the corresponding wage hit that will entail.

Thanks, only a few jobs on seek.com but only the top 2/3 with a salary actually showing, these were $70-$85k so that sounds ok

My problem is I work in the steel Industry and my job has only come up on the state sponsored list for Canberra, and when I have searched for Steel fabrication firms there really doesn't seem to be any there that would accompany my role exactly. I work on 3d cad.

So its a question of do I get myself through the door and find a job doing anything I can and have to wait for the 2 years before I can move somewhere where there is better opportunites. I've done this job since I was 16 and I'm now 30 so I've never done any other type of work since.

I am actually travelling to Oz in December for a holiday to check places out properly, so I am wondering whether I should put this application on hold till I get back in January. But maybe they will take my occupation back of the list. I don't suppose anybody knows the chances of that actually happening do they, it only came on the list at the start of this month. Is there a chance it could go off in the next 3 months?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest The Ropey HOFF

2.2 to 2.6 to £1 is just a suggestion, these figures are based on average wages, the 2.2 figure is from a few years back, but since then average wages in Australia have gone up by about 20% whereas in the UK, average wages have gone down, so that's why it's now nearer to 2.6

I am thinking of ringing a few companies in Oz to see if they will give me a rough figure on the wage I would get over there for the job I do.

I'm guessing they maybe reluctant to give this information out to a stranger from another country?

I have a state sponsored visa ready to go but before I hit the green light and pay my £6k overall to get to Oz in 9/12 months I really want to know I will be paid a decent enough wage over there.

I earn lets say on average £33k plus overtime and have been told roughly a wage of $70k would be expected.

If we are still going off the 2.2 to 2.6 ratio that would be either $72.6k or $85.8k.

Is this cost of living exchange rate still about right, the last posts I read with these figures were from last year.

Thanks in advance

Dont take it too literally, $70k is two and a bit times the £33k so it probably there or terms outs as things tend to cost about 2 and a bit times £. Not that long ago the exchange rate was about 1.5 and people were thinking that $49,500 was going to go as far as the £33k which definitely it would not.

Archived