457 to PR

Dennic

Hi all, just wanting some information.....

We are currently on a 457 visa and to be honest I am not enjoying being so far from home. We have been in perth a year in November.

Me & children 4, 9 & 12 want to go back but husband wants to stay to get nominated PR,

What are the rules to this? Can we go back once we have this?

Will my boys be on it forever or will they need to get their own when they reach 18?

Will hubby have to stay and work for the company for a set amount of time?

How long out of OZ till the PR is taken away?

Sorry lots of questions I know but I need to be able to get my head round how long I will have to be here if we do what hubby wants.

Thanks all help is welcome :)

PR visa lasts for 5 years. You would all need to renew with a returning resident visa (about $250 each I think). But I don't think you can renew unless you actually live here. Look up the returning residents visa on google for your questions about the future. For now, if your hubby has worked with this employer for at least 2 years they can sponsor you all for 186 visas (that's what we did). But why would you go through the hassle and expense if you are not happy in Perth?

Good luck whatever

Hi all, just wanting some information.....

We are currently on a 457 visa and to be honest I am not enjoying being so far from home. We have been in perth a year in November.

Me & children 4, 9 & 12 want to go back but husband wants to stay to get nominated PR,

What are the rules to this? Can we go back once we have this?

Will my boys be on it forever or will they need to get their own when they reach 18?

Sorry lots of questions I know but I need to be able to get my head round how long I will have to be here if we do what hubby wants.

Thanks all help is welcome :)

Hi Dennic,

My answers to your questions:

What are the rules to this?

- There are many rules to apply for a PR visa, or to be sponsored for a PR visa, you will have to look at the DIAC website for latest/correct information.

Can we go back once we have this?

- Yes, you can go back after you are granted a PR visa, but then the visa expires after 5 years (also as Bamboozled mentioned) from the date it was granted. If you don't return within 5 years then the visa gets cancelled and you cannot return to Australia on that visa. You will have to start from the beginning. Please see more on Resident Return Visa (RRV).

- Your boys will be on it forever, they don't have to get one when they reach 18.

- It depends on the company (unless it is regional sponsored or similar then there may be other conditions attached). In my case, I had to sign a deal with my company that I will work for them for at least 2 years. I can leave earlier but then I will have to pay them the visa cost on pro-rata, as the company paid for all expenses towards my PR visa.

- 5 years, also see how RRV works.

But once you get your PR, you can apply for Aus. citizenship. There are visa/residency conditions to apply for Aus. citizenship, like:

- Have been residing in Aus. for at least 4 years (including at least 1 year as a PR)

- Some other conditions..

Before taking any decision, please look for latest/correct information at the DIAC website.

Hope you will be able to take the right decision.

Regards

Phab.

• 1 month later...

Thank you, we have decided that my OH will stay and apply for the 186 ENS on his 2year date, me and boys are returning home 6months before this date so I can get them into school at the start of sept.

My Question now is... With me back in uk and OH in Perth, will it be simple?

What if anything, would stop us getting ENS ie (sol, IELTS,age,TRA?)

Thanks for all your help

Thank you, we have decided that my OH will stay and apply for the 186 ENS on his 2year date, me and boys are returning home 6months before this date so I can get them into school at the start of sept.

My Question now is... With me back in uk and OH in Perth, will it be simple?

What if anything, would stop us getting ENS ie (sol, IELTS,age,TRA?)

Thanks for all your help

I don't understand your plan. If you are leaving, why do you care about getting an ENS visa? And why is your husband getting one, are you getting divorced?

No my kids are determine to go home ASAP but OH thinks that once we return they will want to come back he thinks they will last 4/6 weeks.

If we all go back together then what with cost for shipping all our stuff and messing about the boss we will have closed the door to OZ as he is already 46 and is on a 457, so he will stay to keep the door a jar :)

If kids last longer then we will still be able to return if he gets PR

No my kids are determine to go home ASAP but OH thinks that once we return they will want to come back he thinks they will last 4/6 weeks.

If we all go back together then what with cost for shipping all our stuff and messing about the boss we will have closed the door to OZ as he is already 46 and is on a 457, so he will stay to keep the door a jar :)

If kids last longer then we will still be able to return if he gets PR

And what if the children don't want it come back? It will have been a waste of time and money? Why are the children telling you what to do anyway, perhaps your husband and yourself should be making this decision..

Your children will also not have PR status when they become 18. The visa would require a RRV for them and they would not be able to match the criteria. If you are planning on returning home, it is pointless to gain PR if you dont intend to come back. The other issue is that you can get your super out if you leave while on a 457. Once you become PR, it is locked into Oz

Archived