Where to stay to when visiting Perth with a view to moving in the future?

K8JINSK

Hi,

My husband and I, along with our two boys aged 4 and 7, will be travelling to Perth for a visit in April next year. We're basically checking out the place with a possibility of moving there in the near future.

Could anyone recommend places/ areas to stay please so that we get the most out of our trip? We're staying for just under 3 weeks.

I am a teacher of children with special needs and we will be going for the visa through my qualification.

Any advice on anything to do with our visit/ move will be more than welcome!

Thank you for your help!

It depends on whether you want a holiday or to get a taste of living there. Ideal locations for a holiday would be Hilary's, Fremantle or even Perth itself (so it's easy to get in all directions) but they are for most people unaffordable (median house prices over $800K) so would give quite an unrealistic picture of what living in a Perth suburb is like.

What I would do is get an idea of the kind of suburbs you would be able to afford to rent/buy in and then look on Stayz.com or airbnb.com for rentals in those areas. Hire a car and use that as a base for exploring other suburbs too but it'll give you a better idea of living and commuting in Perth and the kind of neighbourhood you would actually be living in.

This is my favourite link for choosing suburbs in Perth - not pretty but a mine of information http://www.viacorp.com/perth-suburbs-compared.html

if you are staying 3 weeks, then I would suggest that Perth is really only a base. its not a big place, then go and exlpore more of WA. Depending on what you are after (quiet / busy) then that would help in making a decision.

Fremantle I think is a great social place, and a good base. By train its only a short trip my train to Perth. Then explore outside the main Perth area, there's plenty of other threads covering what to do out here.

Nick

Holidaying is very different to living somewhere, agree totally with Lady Rainicorn. I would get accommodation through Stayz.com so you can get a feel for the suburbs, some areas are better than others it depends on the lifestyle that you are after i.e. beaches or bush

Hi

Wow I didn't expect so many replies...thankyou!

To be honest we don't know what our preferences are which is why we are going. I think we would prefer the coast rather than the bush, however, and would like to stay in the suburbs but not too far from Perth during our stay. We will also be renting a car so we can have a look around different places. I've read a bit about Butler in the Australia Magazine so we would like to visit there too.

Thank you for your advice and threads etc. This also helps us greatly. I will also look at other threads for more info.

Any further advice/ opinions would be greatly appreciated!:cool:

Why not stay in Butler then? There are a couple of properties on Stayz there http://www.stayz.com.au/accommodation/wa/perth/butler

You'll either love it or hate it either way you'll get a realistic view of life on a housing estate in Perth.

I'd do a search on here for posts about Butler though as it is a place that divides people. We visited on on our reccie and wouldn't have considered living there.

The only thing is it is an the extreme North of Perth so you're going to be pretty much traveling 30/40km South most days, but again that's realistic for most people commutining in Perth so it's good to get a taste of it. We did peak car and train journeys on our reccie to get a feel for it.

Archived