PAYG Sim for Tasmania

Bridgeman

We are planning a holiday to Tasmania in February and I am sure I have seen somewhere that only Telstra network mobile works there. I have a Pennytel PAYG sim which uses Vodafone signals and am assuming it won't work there? Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best inexpensive Sim to buy and best places to buy around Hobart? Would it be possible to buy this before we go or best to wait till we get there?

Hi ! Your Pennytel SIM should work in Hobart and other decent sized population areas in Tasmania, but not if you are going off the beaten track. If you live in Oz and live near a Aldi supermarket, you can buy one of the $5 Aldi mobile SIM cards which use the Telstra network. The rates on this card are cheap , and Telstra cover just about everywhere in Tassie ( not that I'm a fan of Telstra I hasten to add ). Good luck ,and enjoy your holiday.

We are planning a holiday to Tasmania in February and I am sure I have seen somewhere that only Telstra network mobile works there.

Vodafone and Optus both have networks in Tasmania. It's just that Telstra has the best coverage. However, because of the terrain - hilly, mountainous - even Telstra can have black spots. If you are in strife...just head for the top of the nearest hill!:wink: