Shipping over or leaving stuff - Advice??

bunnyboo

Guest heieup

You don't pay customs charges on import of personal posessions but you do have to be in Australia to recieve them when shipped to the logistics of this might just make it a bit tricky. Why not check costs of sending them as excess baggage rather than shipping if its not much ? Also even at £100 that is less than the cost of replacing 2 suitcases worth of clothing.

Sam&Si, I think I read on one of the Oz web pages that you cannot bring fridges into Oz so you should check this out before you buy.

We shipped over all our sentimental stuff and kids toys etc.Sold our furniture back in the UK and bought new when we arrived in Sydney. You can set up home so cheaply and some shops offer lounge suites, beds, dining tables and chairs and even chuck in free TVs for $1000.

Unless your furniture is very precious then I would leave it and enjoy some serious shopping when you arrive!!

Fridges are fine, so long as they are the new kind - all enclosed! (I can't imagine you'd want the bother of bringing an old one out anyway) The more energy efficient the better. We bought out our quite new Bosh Fridge/Freezer, it arrived at the end of June having left northern UK April 25th all lovely & it's working as good as ever, it might be small by some standards, but it's a great applicance.

Obviously you do have to plan on it being throughly cleaned inside & out several days before shipping so everything is settled & completely dry - also double check for mice where the cable comes out the back - a fav snugly nesting site!!! :SLEEP: Doree Boner/aka Kelly Removals of Newcastle shipped us & the fridge was very carefully EXPORT wrapped with plenty of desiccant: just check your removers of choice are familiar with packing fridges!

We had a 20' container for a 2br cottage which cost £4K, door-to-door +£1K marine insurance. It seems to depend where you are going, as to how much you actually want to take! Some places seem to have shops & options & bargains galore, (Ikea's even!) and other places, like Tassie, perhaps, where there isn't the choice nor such great deals, we'd suggest bringing as much as possible with you, that's decent & serviceable, with a good few years of life, and even stock up on certain things.

I'd suggest (especially if you've never been out here & are slightly particular!) bringing a good supply of your favorite cosmetics, beauty & personal products, & if you have kids their favorite bits & pieces too, enough to last until you become familiar with what's available locally and become used to those new options (6mts - 1yr!)! Also be wary of chucking out sentimental-type items, you'll be surprised how you'll be looking for those in a few years time, if only to show the kids... As it's good to remember where you came from, why and how you arrived at your current destination... Also beware the temptation to Spend! Spend! SPEND! it's amazing how money runs away with itself when you're setting up a new home & a new LIFE, and keeping a good security blanket will help ease the stress should anything untoward happen...

Hope this helps a bit... :jiggy:

Cheers,

• 6 months later...
Guest NurseFlo
I, we are in the same boat pardon the pun, once everything is sorted and we know were on our way, we will be taking about ten small boxes, if that:)))

Dose anyone know who the cheapest shipping agent is?

Briggy:))):jiggy:

Hi, can anyone give us more info on this? I'm also in similar boat with only a few boxes of stuff to take.... Ta x

The only thing I'd suggest with your TV if you have the space, is that it'd be worth bringing one if only to watch your old UK videos/DVDs, as it probably will be useless to watch local programing (although you might not notice a difference!) PLUS, if peeps from the Old Country want to send you your fav TV progs (that you'll being missing & desperate to see minus relentless commercials) then you'll have something on which to view them. :spinny:

I had meant to do this, then read all the stuff about TV's not working, then OH said UR NOT taking TV's! & I forgot all about my dozens of videos that I recorded & packed up specially to watch when here :cry: SO having seen how awful the TV situation is, we don't have a TV & we gave away 2 perfectly good sets.....

Guest Midlanders

Hi

Well its down to yourself, but will be taking the vast majority of our stuff. Especially after using one of the removal company estimation sites and wow how much things start tallying up to replace them . (im sure they structure their replacements on low/mid range looking at the price of each item) and not High mid range to the higher end of the market

I know if we wanted to replace just a 2 of my items for a like for like item in oz, my dining table and chair and american ffr would cost more than the whole container

So for us ...... im taking the whole lot lol

Judy

Guest guest24485

Hi there, we are taking as much as possible. The wife dragged me to Ikea twice last week. Paying for the container so in my eyes it's going jam packed to the rafters. Even taking stuff that might not want but until we get settled into house we don't know what we want or not. If you have the room then it wouldn't hurt to take it. You can always sell/bin it when you arrive. As for tvs, most newer ones will work fine through a digibox/sky box. You can also change the language settings and that will allow you to watch and hear the programmes.

Steve

Hi there, we are taking as much as possible. The wife dragged me to Ikea twice last week. Paying for the container so in my eyes it's going jam packed to the rafters. Even taking stuff that might not want but until we get settled into house we don't know what we want or not. If you have the room then it wouldn't hurt to take it. You can always sell/bin it when you arrive. As for tvs, most newer ones will work fine through a digibox/sky box. You can also change the language settings and that will allow you to watch and hear the programmes.

Steve

Good Luck Everyone with the Moving Process, it's not easy & hardly painless... However, we wished we'd bought just about EVERYTHING we gave away (apart from the junk stuff). Things here in Tas are pretty expensive, (they blame it on transportation over the water - seems to me Aus is big enuf to have hefty transportation costs, wherever...!) For us there's no easy access to IKEA, & when I've checked on-line they don't have a fraction of the variety that say the Gateshead store carries...

Presently I just need some basic wooden bar stools & am having a real trial finding any, let alone for under $70... As for WHEELBARROWS they are shocking - not just in price but in their horrific construction; I don't think I've ever seen such awful wheelbarrows, anywhere - EVER! So make sure you have a good one of those! So if only for cheap & cheerful basics, even shoes & trainers, visits to IKEA, TESCO, & The Sales, etc., should be worth it - Just remember the 12-month rule, you can only bring in a few hundred dollars worth of NEW (under 1yr's old) stuff, everything else better look used! Or bear this in mind early in the process.

I must say we haven't once said why did we bring THIS only we wish we had bought THAT! & when I think of all the lumber, animal feed, fencing, tools, odds & ends, excavator, tractors... we'd have access to at my folk's..... !!!

Archived