Advise on Sydney suburbs please

Smitty

Hi All,

I am looking into moving to sydney with a view to work in the CBD. I have 2 boys aged 3 and 7 and would need to enrol them in a good school. I would be very grateful if anyone can share their views on the best schools and nice family friendly suburbs around Sydney CBD with good transport links. I will be renting in the beginning, so the areas would need to be less expensive. Thanks:cute:

Smitty

I will move your post to the NSW forum as the migration forum is for questions about the visa process.

You really will need to be more specific with your questions and in providing a bit more background to get some good advice. Do you mean public or private schools, if you mean public, then the best public schools will typically be in the most expensive areas, it is one of the things that pushes prices up, and you will have trouble getting in unless you live there. So in fact you probably need to find area first and then look into schools in that area..

Most suburbs are family friendly, so this is not a great way to try and find one as it doesn't narrow the field. To find your suburb you need to consider things like cost, ease of which you can get to work and then perhaps some preferences such as near the beach or near a national park or whatever. Can you provide any details on those kind of things so that we can help you narrow it down?

My view - Sydney is so expensive it gives me an anxiety attack at the prospect of having to live there with a family in an area that doesn't have weekly drive by shootings.

If you want the AUssie dream try;

- Hobart

- Regional Vic (Ballarat, Bendigo)

- South Australia (Adl if you must)

- Newcastle, NSW

- Geelong, Vic

Moving to Sydney to work in the CBD with kids in tow is exactly the same as moving to London to work in the CBD with kids in tow. Only the avg temp is different and the fact that London drivers are a bit more pleasant....

• 2 months later...
I suggest James Ruse High School,Carlingford, NSW, 2118

Which is, ofcourse, the best high school in the state and is selective, so not the easiest school to get into. The OP's children are young so high school doesn't feature in the equation at present.

We're moving back to Sydney in January, our children are 5 & 7. Sydney is expensive, so be warned, but it is a lovely city and I am sure you will love it. I would suggest the websites http://bettereducation.com.au/ and http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/. That said, from where we lived, know the schools in the Northern Beaches and Upper North Shore to be really good on the whole, but it really depends on budget for rental etc and where you're based for work to pick your suburb. If you want to go private, catholic schools are generally a lot more affordable than UK schools. Good luck with the move, I am sure you won't be disappointed - but expensive, yes!

Archived