Not looking good for us

familywright

It's my husband's employment . He owned a taxi company in UK and is after driving jobs. Prior to the taxis , he drove large waste trucks etc.

So far he has applied for hundreds of jobs and had a few interviews but most have been a little "odd". "Odd" as in comission or % based or casual with unusual or not enough hours. He has had a few things that have been for a few days here and there but he just wants a job. Really, it's destroying him and he is heading into the spiral of depression.

ETA We are in Brisbane

it's hard, i had the same here, different trade though i'm an engineer.

the thing is, if you become depressed, you become bitter and a little desperate, and that shows in interview. not good.

what worked for me in the end, was to pepper everyone with resume's anyone within my trade, and anyone outside too, if i could put my hand to the work they had.

also make sure the resume and cover letter are tip-top, pay a local writer to make sure.

most resume's are first computer read, then scanned by staff, nothing will get you rejected quicker than basic spelling and grammar. you could be a frickin' rocket scientist going for a bin man job and you will still end up in the bin if the spelling is bad!

for me peppering generated a couple of leads, and a solid job, which within 2 weeks of starting, led to a further interview and a better paid job.

i'm still getting not suitable/interview emails, like 3 months after submitting. some places are evidently pretty slack.

the big thing is to get known.

a lot of the bigger companies use agencies to pre-board their staff. go for a shite job with one of those places, make sure you shine in every way, be the person they remember. they will happily put you forward for other positions they think you are good for, as it means they get 2 commission cheques. (they tend to ask you to keep this quiet to the previous employer lol)

it's a game, a pretty sick game when the cash is running out admittedly, but a game all the same.

I wish you the very best of luck, and hope you can stick around long enough to land something.

:)

It's my husband's employment . He owned a taxi company in UK and is after driving jobs. Prior to the taxis , he drove large waste trucks etc.

So far he has applied for hundreds of jobs and had a few interviews but most have been a little "odd". "Odd" as in comission or % based or casual with unusual or not enough hours. He has had a few things that have been for a few days here and there but he just wants a job. Really, it's destroying him and he is heading into the spiral of depression.

ETA We are in Brisbane

Hi,

Does he have a HR (and HC) licence and has he approached the Waste and Recycling companies based in Brisbane? Its a competitive and aggressive market in terms of the organisations attempting to grow their business and I know from my own experience of employing drivers that often their is fringe/adhoc/seasonal demands which results in casual non full time hours for those who are not already entrenched in a driving role. However most companies appreciate experience when looking for a full time replacement. The fixed type work such as garbage and recycling collections from residential properties are constant requirements and the private contractors who manage this work may be another source of employment. Feel free to ignore if he has tried this path already, but if I can help in anyway I will try.

Archived