Worried about my points!

CowlingAFC

Ive worked out i have 45 points, and when I finally pass the ielts i'll have 55.....so what happens there? I have to apply to WA for state sponsorship?? As far as i can see I need 65?? Help!!

33year old carpenter.

over 10years in trade

year working in oz

7's in ielts

sister lives there (does this help?)

Hi again!!

I just completed a points test online, and without scoring any points for the IELTS it says I have 60points and therefore qualify for the 190 visa through state sponsorship?? is this correct/?? I have tried and not gained 7's TWICE for writing in the ielts....have I been wasting my time doing it?? any help greatly received

Do you have a recognised qualification? (NVQ etc) as that might get you 10 points. If you get 5 points for WA SS then that takes you to 60 which is enough for SS. Also SS isn't ranked so as soon as you tick all the boxes you get an invitation as long as you have the minimum 60 points.

Also 7 in writing should be achievable with a bit of practice I'd imagine or possibly even a lesson or two? I don't think I'm in any way too intelligent (highest qualification in English is a GCSE grade C) but I managed an 8.5. The biggest things to remember are to hit the minimum word count, try to punctuate as best you can and the longer piece is worth a larger percentage of your mark than the shorter (generally a letter) piece. Also try to ensure you cover everything you're asked to.

Hi

I think they've changed the process slightly with SS since I did mine. I think you now have to apply to the state first then they invite you and then you complete your EOI. I may have this wrong in some way but its definitely changed in some way. What I mean by ticking all the boxes is get your skills assessment done and then fill out your EOI. Once you can say you have passed IELTS (if you need to) and all the other factors add up for your points then you should receive your invitation to apply. Be wary though that you need to be certain that you have all the evidence to support all your claims for points. If you're unsure maybe you need to go down the profession route and consult an agent?

If you're asking me, I'm a printer and I had 75 points at the time of invitation. I was looking at it being a bit touch and go as I was approaching my 40th birthday so I stood to lose 10 points. I got the 20 points from IELTS that would get me to 60 if I passed my 40th before invite and I took an Aussie AQF qualification as part of my skills assessment that unexpectedly gave me another 5 points.

This is copied off the immi website, is this anything to do with SVQ level 3 awarded in the UK?

Doctorate from an Australian educational institution or

other Doctorate of a recognised standard 20 points

At least a Bachelor degree, including a Bachelor

degree with Honours or Masters, from an Australian

educational institution or other degree of a recognised

standard

Educational qualifications, 15 points

at time of invitation.

Diploma completed in Australia, trade qualification

completed in Australia, or qualification or award of

recognised standard

10 points

and if SS gives you 5points....do you need 60 BEFORE EOI? or 55, with the 5 for SS added on?

Cant get my head around this now!!

1 July 2012 Points Test for the subclass 189, 190 and 489 visas

Factor Description Points

18-24 (inclusive) 25 points

25-32 (inclusive) 30 points

33-39 (inclusive) 25 points

40-44 (inclusive) 15 points

Age, at time of invitation

45-49 (inclusive) 0 points

Competent English - IELTS 6 / OET B 0 points

Proficient English - IELTS 7 / OET B 10 points English language competency level,

at time of invitation

Superior English - IELTS 8 / OET A 20 points

At least three but less than five years (of past 10 years) 5 points

At least five but less than eight years (of past 10 years) 10 points

Overseas skilled employment in

nominated skilled occupation or a

closely related skilled occupation, at

time of invitation At least eight and up to 10 years (of past 10 years) 15 points

At least one but less than three years (of past 10 years) 5 points

At least three but less than five years (of past 10 years) 10 points

At least five but less than eight years (of past 10 years) 15 points

Australian skilled employment in

nominated skilled occupation or a

closely related skilled occupation, at

time of invitation

(Note that the maximum points awarded

for any combination of overseas and

Australian skilled employment is 20 points) At least eight and up to 10 years (of past ten years) 20 points

Doctorate from an Australian educational institution or

other Doctorate of a recognised standard 20 points

At least a Bachelor degree, including a Bachelor

degree with Honours or Masters, from an Australian

educational institution or other degree of a recognised

standard

Educational qualifications, 15 points

at time of invitation.

Diploma completed in Australia, trade qualification

completed in Australia, or qualification or award of

recognised standard

10 points

Australian study qualifications,

at time of invitation

One or more degrees, diplomas or trade qualifications

awarded by an Australian educational institution and

meet Australian Study Requirement

5 points

Credentialled community language qualifications 5 points

Study in regional Australia or in a low population

growth metropolitan area (excluding distance education)

5 points

Partner skill qualifications 5 points

Other factors, at time of invitation

Professional Year completion, for a period of at least

12 months in the four year period immediately before

the day on which the invitation was issued

5 points

Nomination by State or Territory government

(visa subclass 190 only) 5 points

Nomination/Sponsorship,

at time of invitation

Nomination by State or Territory government or

sponsorship by an eligible family member, for residing

and working in a specified/designated area

(visa subclass 489 only)

I think this is what I have, without nomination by state (SS?)

cheers folks

10 points

I'm not sure if your SVQ gets the 10 points, there are criteria you need to meet ie length of time since qualification issued. You'd need to query this with someone more experienced than me. You can apply with 55 points on your EOI and when your SS is approved the 5 points are added. Your EOI will remain dormant until such time you hit the required points/criteria for invitation.

Cowling you will get the points for 'an award of a recognised standard' as your skills assessment was them recognising your qualification. Once you have your skills assessment and IELTS(if needed) then you go to the skillsellect website and fill in an EOI, if you tick the 190 visa box and WA as your state, the website calculates your points and it will tell you, If it says your claims equal 60 or more then go ahead and press the lodge button, it will tell you if you havent got enough points. Once you lodge the EOI you have to wait for them to look at it then offer you state sponsorship, this usually is quick and only takes a couple of weeks to get the visa invite.

You can actually lodge an EOI to see what it involves then withdraw it if you arent quite ready to proceed yet)

Archived