Trying to decide what furniture to take

beanbear

Hi,

We are moving back to the UK next year. When we came out we just brought out some boxes of personal effects and kitchen things etc but no furniture, so we have no experience with containers. Someone said they had taken stuff back in a 20 foot container and I am wondering what you would get in that? We have two sofas that are only about six months old, plus mattresses (we're not too bothered about the bed frames) and bikes etc, plus of course all the other stuff like clothes and belongings. We could live without most of our furniture, but we are trying to work out how cost effective it is to write off and start again if necessary.

How long does stuff take to go back to the UK on average?

Thanks in advance.

I would say about eight weeks, ours took that time, but it came from Spain ..... I think we had a 20ft container, and got loads in, didn't bring patio furniture, but regretted it later .... It might be worth thinking about ( pennies allowing ) to get it professionally packed, we did, and it saved so much work .....

good luck ....

Thanks for the responses so far. It's so difficult to decide isn't it. Have just been having a look at white good on a website in the UK and they are pretty cheap, so maybe a half container is the way to go. I think perhaps we'll need to get someone to come out and quote. If the difference between a half container and a whole one isn't that big though, it might be worth getting a whole one.

Bottler1942 what kind of furniture did you have in your part container?

Thanks for the responses so far. It's so difficult to decide isn't it. Have just been having a look at white good on a website in the UK and they are pretty cheap, so maybe a half container is the way to go. I think perhaps we'll need to get someone to come out and quote. If the difference between a half container and a whole one isn't that big though, it might be worth getting a whole one.

Bottler1942 what kind of furniture did you have in your part container?

two armchairs ... double bed ... single mattress ... 6 dining chairs ... large dining table ... pine dresser ... large mahogany chest of drawers ... tall mahogany chest of drawers ... pine chest of drawers ... large oak monks settle ... drop leaf table ... three occasional tables ... three antique chairs ... mahogany , long hall table ... very large mirror ... that I had a crate made for ... large mirror on a stand ... plus boxes of clothes ... kitchen ware ... etc ... 90 items in all ... best to get people in to give you quotes ... I went with John Mason ... very happy with them ... helpful and informative ...

two armchairs ... double bed ... single mattress ... 6 dining chairs ... large dining table ... pine dresser ... large mahogany chest of drawers ... tall mahogany chest of drawers ... pine chest of drawers ... large oak monks settle ... drop leaf table ... three occasional tables ... three antique chairs ... mahogany , long hall table ... very large mirror ... that I had a crate made for ... large mirror on a stand ... plus boxes of clothes ... kitchen ware ... etc ... 90 items in all ... best to get people in to give you quotes ... I went with John Mason ... very happy with them ... helpful and informative ...

Thanks so much for posting that. I think we will get some people in to quote. It's such a difficult decision and I think we will probably take some bits and not others, but only if it's cost effective. I'm not too worried about having to start again furniture wise, I feel like we have more important things to worry about in the great scheme of things.

Thanks so much for posting that. I think we will get some people in to quote. It's such a difficult decision and I think we will probably take some bits and not others, but only if it's cost effective. I'm not too worried about having to start again furniture wise, I feel like we have more important things to worry about in the great scheme of things.

getting quotes is a good idea ... you can then decide what to take and the cost ... I took several items of furniture that had been left to me by my grandparents ... beautiful old antique furniture that I love and could not bear to sell or leave behind ... Good Luck with your journey ... please let us know how you get on ...

Archived