Arriving in Aus - What to Expect

Goldilocks Sutcliffe

Hi All

I arrive on Thursday in Perth for my WHV. I was just wondering if anyone can give me some advice as to what to expect when going through immigration. I've pooled together all my paperwork - got paper copies of important docs, my visa, my aus bank account and a record of the money I've transferred over.

What sort of process do I go through on entering the country? Will the staff go through my bags? How long does it usually take? Has anyone arrived in Perth for their WHV, as I know most people tend to make their first port of call either Melb or Sydney?

When I came last year I was on a tourist visa and they just inspected my card and waved me through.

I'm not sure if I need police checks if it's a working holiday visa? Nothing said about it on any web pages I've seen. Shouldn't matter as I'm all clear, but I hope they won't charge me for any checks.

No,i "think" i had to fill a form out on the plane re offences or something,as i say,was a while back,drank a lot of whisky since then,others will know,or remember better than me,enjoy your trip anyway!

Thanks :) that puts my mind at ease slightly. I've got copies of visa, bank details, will have insurance docs shortly and also a copy of the flight itinerary which includes details of my return flight as I know they like it that you have a way to go home.

Looking forward to it, slightly nervous and excited because this has been a long time coming.

Hi All

I arrive on Thursday in Perth for my WHV. I was just wondering if anyone can give me some advice as to what to expect when going through immigration. I've pooled together all my paperwork - got paper copies of important docs, my visa, my aus bank account and a record of the money I've transferred over.

What sort of process do I go through on entering the country? Will the staff go through my bags? How long does it usually take? Has anyone arrived in Perth for their WHV, as I know most people tend to make their first port of call either Melb or Sydney?

When I came last year I was on a tourist visa and they just inspected my card and waved me through.

Hi Goldilocks, I arrived in Perth in January on a spouse visa, nothing different happened to the other times I'd been on a holiday visa. My visa was on my passport, electronically, I assume they all are now. They will only check your bags if you've declared something on your passenger card or if one of their dogs sits down next to it! :)

Archived