Extra baggage allowance for students - Malaysian Airlines

JoannaAch

Hello everybody,

I have booked my flights to Sydney for January next year with Malaysian Airlines and was wondering if anybody was able to get extra 10kg baggage allowance for GRADS program members? I have all the required documents, but the are not responding to any emails/phone calls...

Hope someone can help!

Cheers,

Jo

Most airlines will only give you extra allowance if you have pr. When we came over as students we had 20kg each and hand luggage (and the dog sent separately).

I have a PR visa and I am a student (PhD) :) I already asked for extra allowance for PR holders on one-way tickets but they don't give any... The only way to get more baggage is either buy tickets for business/first class (no way I can afford it) or as a member of that students program. But I guess there aren't many students on this forum and nobody every heard about that program:/

Thanks for help anyway!

Cheers,

Jo

I think it's more likely you are not getting it because the airline don't offer a migrant fare. Or don't recognise your visa type as migrating.

Most people seem to get double baggage when flying with Singapore airlines on an unvalidated PR visa. But again I can't speak re your visa type.

I think it's more likely you are not getting it because the airline don't offer a migrant fare. Or don't recognise your visa type as migrating.

Most people seem to get double baggage when flying with Singapore airlines on an unvalidated PR visa. But again I can't speak re your visa type.

My visa type is normal PR 190 and my tickets are one-way, so there shouldn't be any confusion. Somehow I think that airlines do not offer migrant fares from Germany (not many people move from here to Au). I tried to ask IOM for flight deals with extra allowance but they had only extra 5kg for Qantas, which normally gives 23kg. So still less than 30kg, which Malaysian airline gives to everybody.

As for Singapore or Emirates flights - they are highly expensive, almost double what I paid for Malaysian.

I guess I would have to ship most of my things by seven seas or any other company... Thankfully I don't have that much stuff, mostly just clothes and shoes:)

Thanks for your help guys!

My visa type is normal PR 190 and my tickets are one-way, so there shouldn't be any confusion. Somehow I think that airlines do not offer migrant fares from Germany (not many people move from here to Au). I tried to ask IOM for flight deals with extra allowance but they had only extra 5kg for Qantas, which normally gives 23kg. So still less than 30kg, which Malaysian airline gives to everybody.

As for Singapore or Emirates flights - they are highly expensive, almost double what I paid for Malaysian.

I guess I would have to ship most of my things by seven seas or any other company... Thankfully I don't have that much stuff, mostly just clothes and shoes:)

Thanks for your help guys!

That may well be it, if departing from Germany.

I don't really recall Malaysian airlines being one mentioned for UK migrants when it comes to free excess baggage though.

Weird also, you say Singapore airlines was more than Malaysian, yet for us flying from the UK, Singapore was the cheapest, Malaysian was on a par with Emirates, about £400 more for all of us in total.

Interesting - I have flown Emirates for years and they are always the cheapest

Not for us for when we wanted to fly and where we were flying to :)

That may well be it, if departing from Germany.

I don't really recall Malaysian airlines being one mentioned for UK migrants when it comes to free excess baggage though.

Weird also, you say Singapore airlines was more than Malaysian, yet for us flying from the UK, Singapore was the cheapest, Malaysian was on a par with Emirates, about £400 more for all of us in total.

I paid 1600euros for one-way flight Frankfurt-Sydney for me and hubby while same flight (in the same week) with Singapore Airlines is 2400! The lowest fare with Emirates is 1900euros...

We only had 20kg with Malaysian airlines last year - are you sure it's 30kg?

I've just copied and pasted the following from my reservation confirmation for our flight in (less than!) two week's time:

LHR-BNE: MH Basic Fare Family Benefits

1. Baggage Allowance 30kg

Not sure if we got more as the tickets were one way rather than return...? Terry

I've just copied and pasted the following from my reservation confirmation for our flight in (less than!) two week's time:

LHR-BNE: MH Basic Fare Family Benefits

1. Baggage Allowance 30kg

Not sure if we got more as the tickets were one way rather than return...? Terry

yes, it's 30kg for economy class now and 7kg carry-on. They increased their allowances few weeks/months ago. But I was really hoping to get that extra 10kg for students...

• 1 month later...

I am not sure if it will be important to anybody - but just in case:

PhD students from universities all around the world can apply for a GRADS program with Malaysia Airlines (10euro annual fee) and get extra 10kg baggage allowance for flights from Europe to Australia (and probably everywhere else).

I think it is a great option for students/workers that book flights from countries where MA does not offer migrant fares.

Archived